Faefever: The Fever Series by Karen Marie…

Faefever: The Fever Series (edition 2009)

by Karen Marie Moning

Collections:Kindle, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:urban fantasy, Kindle, e-book, fae

Faefever by Karen Marie Moning

2009 (6) 2011 (9) Dublin (19) ebook (27) fae (67) faerie (32) fairies (15) fantasy (77) fever (18) fever series (30) fiction (58) Ireland (40) Karen Marie Moning (9) Kindle (12) MacKayla Lane (6) magic (14) mystery (15) paranormal (66) paranormal romance (39) read (24) read in 2011 (13) romance (40) series (26) sidhe (8) supernatural (9) suspense (7) to-read (39) unread (6) urban fantasy (81) vampires (7)

English (78)  Italian (1)  All languages (79)
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I’ve already apologized for misjudging Karen Marie Moning’s Fever books; but I feel the need to do it again because I still keep expecting this series to jump the shark, and it refuses to even put on the skis!

Mac continues to develop, becoming stronger, more mature, and more admirable as she deals with tough situations, yet still retaining the pink debutante personality that made her so endearing at the start of Darkfever.

In Faefever, we learn more about the Seelie and Unseelie courts, Rowena and the other sidhe-seers in Dublin, and the Scotsman Christian MacKeltar (who has some special powers of his own). We can start to develop theories about how all of these characters fit into this world, but so far Moning is keeping us guessing and we’re not really sure who Mac can trust.

This kind of anxiety (along with a lot of sexual tension) makes the pages turn fast — all the way to the dramatic ending. The last line of the book made me gasp out loud and break out in goosebumps. I was listening to Faefever on audio (Brilliance Audio) and I think Joyce Bean’s narration made it even more chilling. The final scene was so disturbing that Ms. Moning felt the need to leave her readers a mollifying note at the end of the text. By the time you get there, you’ll definitely want to make sure you’re armed with lots of flashlights, extra batteries, and the next book in the Fever series: Dreamfever. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
...

Barrons?! V'Lane?!

I have never not been able to choose before!

That ending, though! Damn, I have to wait for the next from the library. >:/ ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
Ways books should never end? The way this one did! At least I have some comfort in knowing I have the next book... ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Mac continues her quest for the Sinsar Dubh – but also has to figure out what to do with it if she finds it. When she comes near the book she is unable to act due to the pain – and can she trust Barrons or V’lane, either one, with an artefact of such power?

And things are getting worse, more of Dublin is falling to the Dark Zones and the walls of the Unseeling prison are beginning to crack. If they cannot find a way to patch them before Samhain, then all hell will break loose.

At one point in this book Barrons complains at Mac that she is too passive. Well, I have to give the book one thing, they managed to lampshade what is probably her worst character trait (and it says a lot that this, out of all the other problems, is the worst character trait). Mac does nothing. If left to her own devices she would spend her entire time twiddling her thumbs in the book shop hoping that the Sinsar Dubh comes to her, that her sisters murderer decides to give himself up and that all the fae go away. She spends her entire time moping and reacting. That doesn’t mean she does nothing – but the only reason she ever acts is because someone has forced her – Barrons, V’lane, the Sidhe Seers, Christian – someone pushes her and she reacts. That’s it. And because she’s the protagonist that’s what we get for the whole book – her moping and occasionally doing stuff to react to the random events the various people force her into before going back to moping again.

Which means the book has no overarching plot. What is the book about? Finding the Sinsar Dubh – same as the last 2 books – except she doesn’t actually do anything to find it. So it’s just mope mope mope FORCED EVENT more moping and then all the action (which, to be fair, is pretty damn good) is kind of clinging in the last 8% of the book and ending with a cliffhanger.

Mac’s passivity manages to be even more annoying because the one “active” thing she can bring herself to do is to keep secrets. A large part of this book involves Mac deciding who to trust – V’lane, Barrons or whoever. These are reasonable concerns considering that neither of them are trustworthy and they both have zero respect for Mac. This would be fine if she did something with the knowledge she had beyond actively sabotaging their efforts to find the book. The Unseelie have to be stopped, the book has to be found but she’s not sure who she can trust with the book – fine; but how is it sensible to have the alternate plan “well no-one’s going to get it then!” and promptly stick your head in the sand. Which is basically how she ends the book with all this action – waiting for the worst to come and hoping others can fix it.

Her keeping secrets would also be better if she ever could actually manage it – but she fails completely to do the one thing she’s actually trying to do. Both V’Lane and Barrons easily learn everything she tries to keep hidden, making her one, tiny piece of agency collapse horribly. In fact, that pretty much sums up their treatment of her in general – she’s less than a tool to both of them, neither have any compunction about forcing her, marking her against her will, using their supernatural abilities on her to make her do what she wants which causes her to… mope. She is a passive, helpless, disrespected, badly used and often abused tool. On the plus side, she’s at least aware of this (hence her wariness of both of them), on the minus side, she definitely appears to be melting to both of them despite their abuses – and her main reason for that simply seems to be “they could abuse me even more than they are doing”.

This is perhaps Mac’s worst trait – because it breaks the entire story. It makes the entire book one long mope with endless internal monologues and no real advancement. It doesn’t help that the writing is some of the most painfully drawn out, over-descriptive, repetitive, distracted text I’ve read in a long time – and I’ve read a LOT of drawn out, over-descriptive, repetitive, distracted text. It’s also clogged with completely unnecessary recapping just for bonus funsies.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Feb 21, 2014 |
Faefever is the third in the Fever series and I devoured it like a Shade eats flesh, leaving only the fluttering paper husk of the book behind.

Moning does an amazing job of layering on the world-building so that it doesn't feel as if you're drinking from a firehose, trying to sort it all out. She ratchets up the tension with enemies around every corner, and keeps you guessing as to whether her allies are trustworthy at all.

I will say this, though: I would be coming unglued at the seams if I didn't have book four on the shelf, ready to go. The way that Faefever ends is nothing short of criminal. Cliffhanger doesn't begin to describe it.

A Twitter friend commented that the Fever paperbacks may be laced with cocaine, since they are so addictive. I wouldn't doubt it. And I wouldn't change it. :) ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 6, 2014 |
“And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.”
—T. S. Eliot,The Waste Land
“Do not go gentle into that good night . . .
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”
—Dylan Thomas
This one's for the Moning Maniacs -- the best fans any writer ever had.
I keep expecting to wake up and find it was all a bad dream.
I'd die for him.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440244390, Mass Market Paperback)

New York Times bestseller

He calls me his Queen of the Night. I’d die for him. I’d kill for him, too.

When MacKayla Lane receives a page torn from her dead sister’s journal, she is stunned by Alina’s desperate words. And now MacKayla knows that her sister’s killer is close. But evil is closer. And suddenly the sidhe-seer is on the hunt: For answers. For revenge. And for an ancient book of dark magic so evil that it corrupts anyone who touches it.

Mac’s quest for the Sinsar Dubh takes her into the mean, shapeshifting streets of Dublin, with a suspicious cop on her tail. Forced into a dangerous triangle of alliance with V’lane, a lethal Fae prince, and Jericho Barrons, a man of deadly secrets, Mac is soon locked in a battle for her body, mind, and soul.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:15 -0400)

He calls me his Queen of the Night. I'd die for him. I'd kill for him, too. When MacKayla Lane receives a torn page from her dead sister's journal, she is stunned by Alina's desperate words. And now MacKayla knows that her sister's killer is close. But evil is closer. And suddenly the sidhe-seer is on the hunt: For answers. For revenge.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,406,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible