The Crying of Lot 49 (Perennial Fiction…

The Crying of Lot 49 (Perennial Fiction Library) (original 1966; edition 2006)

by Thomas Pynchon

Member:george1295
Title:The Crying of Lot 49 (Perennial Fiction Library)
Authors:Thomas Pynchon
Info:Harper Perennial (2006), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Novels, Your library
Rating:**
Tags:American Literature, 20th Century, Fiction, Postmodernism

The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon (1966)

English (119)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (123)

The second chapter, 5 stars. Everything else, not so so many. ( )
  Alli.Broad | Jun 5, 2015 |
Pynchon's writing is incredible but it's so nonsensical that he makes Vonnegut sound like Hemingway. I didn't really get what was going on most of the time, but I enjoyed the second half of the book more than the first. ( )
  akissner | May 21, 2015 |
“I came," she said, "hoping you could talk me out of a fantasy."
Cherish it!" cried Hilarious, fiercely. "What else do any of you have? Hold it tightly by it's little tentacle, don't let the Freudians coax it away or the pharmacists poison it out of you. Whatever it is, hold it dear, for when you lose it you go over by that much to the others. You begin to cease to be.”

Oedipa Maas discovers one day that she has been made executor of a former lover's estate. She decides to carry out her duties diligently and so sets off on a strange trail of detection in which bizarre characters seem set on confusing rather than helping her meeting all sorts of supposed members of secretive organisations along the way. Gradually death, drugs, madness and marriage combine to leave Oedipa feeling desolate and very alone sat in an auction room awaiting The Crying of Lot 49.

This is my first Pynchon book that I've read and although it is only a novella I found it both hard work and confusing. The first 50 pages or so I found very enjoyable and even made me smile at times but after that it went too far into the realms of fantasy. I must admit that I'm not a great fan of conspiracy theory books and the likes of Dan Brown are just over-hyped bunkum IMHO and as the central theme of this book seemed to be communication, in particular the US postal system, felt that it was on the whole poorly communicated but then perhaps I'm just too obtuse to grasp the full satire and irony within.

Whilst it did not hold me riveted it did keep me intrigued enough to want to finish it and will have to think seriously about whether or not to read any more of the author's offerings especially as this is regarded as being one of the more accessible. I'm just not sure how keen I am on Pynchon's idea of post-modernism. ( )
1 vote PilgrimJess | Apr 1, 2015 |
Reading Pynchon is like being invited to a fancy restaurant that every reputable critic claims is transcendent, then being served expired, moldy Lean Cuisine while the chef giggles at you from the kitchen and darts out of sight every time you turn toward him to mouth the words, "What the hell, man?!" Meanwhile, the other diners are spending more time telling you that your palate isn't developed enough to appreciate the meal, even though they've hardly touched their own plates.

I'm not going to read Gravity's Rainbow. ( )
2 vote Michael.Pryles | Mar 25, 2015 |
It is short, and that is the best thing I can say about it. ( )
1 vote wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |

Siemion, PiotrTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Teichmann, WulfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
None, of course
One summer afternoon Mrs Oedipa Maas came home from a Tupperware party whose hostess had put perhaps too much kirsch in the fondue to find that she, Oedipa, had been named executor, or she supposed executrix, of the estate of one Pierce Inverarity, a California real estate mogul who had once lost two million dollars in his spare time but still had assets numerous and tangled enough to make the job of sorting it all out more than honorary.

To manage a will, Oedipa follows the horn, while Trystero waits. (johnxlibris)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006091307X, Paperback)

The highly original satire about Oedipa Maas, a woman who finds herself enmeshed in a worldwide conspiracy, meets some extremely interesting characters, and attains a not inconsiderable amount of self knowledge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:26 -0400)

When Oedipa Maas is named as the executor of her late lover's will, she discovers that his estate is mysteriously connected with an underground organization.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,930,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible