Everything Is Cinema: The Working Life of…

Everything Is Cinema: The Working Life of Jean-Luc Godard

by Richard Brody

This is a really well-done book, I quite enjoyed it. My only qualms are that the author continuously refers to Godard as having anti-Semitic tendencies and also that almost all of his films were made to solve some problem Godard was having with Anna Karina at the time (to save the marriage). This kind of repetitive reasoning points toward simplistic thinking, and causes me to doubt the validity of whatever the author is saying. Not saying he is wrong, of course...I obviously do not know as much as Brody does about Godard. ( )
  amschroe | Sep 7, 2011 |
To Maja, for my very being

A “serious-minded and meticulously detailed . . . account of the lifelong artistic journey” of one of the most influential filmmakers of our age (The New York Times)

When Jean-Luc Godard wed the ideals of filmmaking to the realities of autobiography and current events, he changed the nature of cinema. Unlike any earlier films, Godard’s work shifts fluidly from fiction to documentary, from criticism to art. The man himself also projects shifting images—cultural hero, fierce loner, shrewd businessman. Hailed by filmmakers as a—if not the—key influence on cinema, Godard has entered the modern canon, a figure as mysterious as he is indispensable.

In Everything Is Cinema, critic Richard Brody has amassed hundreds of interviews to demystify the elusive director and his work. Paying as much attention to Godard’s technical inventions as to the political forces of the postwar world, Brody traces an arc from the director’s early critical writing, through his popular success with Breathless, to the grand vision of his later years. He vividly depicts Godard’s wealthy conservative family, his fluid politics, and his tumultuous dealings with women and fellow New Wave filmmakers.

Everything Is Cinema confirms Godard’s greatness and shows decisively that his films have left their mark on screens everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:48 -0400)

We do not think, we are thought -- A matter of loving or dying -- Breathless -- Le petit soldat -- A woman is a woman -- Vivre sa vie, le nouveau monde, les carabiniers -- Contempt -- Montparnasse et levallois, band of outsiders -- A married woman -- The American business -- Alphaville -- Pierrot le fou -- Masculine feminine -- Made in USA, two or three things I know about her -- La chinoise, weekend -- Revolution (1968-1972) -- Restoration (1973-1977) -- France tour dtour deux enfants, et al., 1978-1979 -- Sauve qui peut (la vie) -- Passion and first name: Carmen -- Hail Mary -- Detective and soigne ta droite -- King Lear -- Histoire(s) du cinma, part I -- Nouvelle vague -- Germany year 90 nine zero -- Hlas pour moi, JLG/JLG, histoire(s) du cinma, parts 2 and 3 -- For ever Mozart, histoire(s) du cinma, part 4 -- Eloge de l'amour -- Notre musique.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,669,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible