The Dark Domain by Stefan Grabinski

The Dark Domain (edition 2005)

by Stefan Grabinski

Member:imbolcfire
Title:The Dark Domain
Authors:Stefan Grabinski
Info:Dedalus Ltd (2005), Paperback, 153 pages
Tags:weird fiction, literature, short stories

The Dark Domain by Stefan Grabiński

Now and then I find a book that defines my reading raison d'être, and this is one of them. It is beyond a doubt one of the best books I've read in 2016, and I feel fortunate indeed in having discovered Stefan Grabinski, who seems to be another long-forgotten, neglected author whose work really merits an emergence from obscurity.

There are eleven stories in this book, along with an introduction by the editor & translator Miroslaw Lipinski as well as an afterword by Madeleine Johnson. In a word, it is excellent; there is not one bad story in this entire book. In Grabinski, I've found another writer whose work is just plain genius.

Perhaps the best way to describe what's in this book is by quoting Brian Stableford, who in his News of the Black Feast and Other Random Reviews notes that Grabinski's

"... characters are prone to haunting themselves, unwittingly dislodging fragments of themselves that become independently incarnate." (79-80)

While that's not exactly the case in every story here, it's still an observation that absolutely hits the nail on the head.

While I latched on to Grabinski purely by accident, from now on any new translations of his work are going to find a permanent home on my shelves. He's that good. Anyone who is serious about dark fiction, literary horror and keen insight into human nature and the darkness of the human mind should not miss this book. Again, I wonder how many other books by authors like this are out there, just waiting for me to find them.

more at my reading journal if anyone's at all interested. ( )
2 vote bcquinnsmom | Oct 10, 2016 |
I was introduced to Stefan Grabinski's work only a few months ago. The Dark Domain is the first anthology of this Polish horror writer's stories I've read. It will not be the last.
Grabinski is referred to as the Polish Poe. His writing is evocative of the same period as Poe’s; he writes horror stories. I think that's where the similarity ends. Grabinsky has his own view on the world, and his own horrors to bring to life in the pages of his stories.
In the Dark Domain we find madness, haunting, schizophrenia, witches, demons and evil from within and beyond. I really enjoyed these stories and recommend them to anyone interested in a period scare. ( )
  pgmcc | Jan 22, 2011 |

Stefan Grabińskiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnson, MadeleineAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lipinski, MiroslawTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Poland's strong Catholic faith has engendered its literature with a lively awareness of the Devil and a love of the supernatural. These stories are explorations of extremes in human behaviour, where the bizarre chills the spine-and few authors can match Grabinski's depiction of seething sexual frenzy. The Dark Domain introduces English readers to one of Europe's most important authors of literary fantasy.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,175,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible