Chasing the Bard by Philippa Ballantine

Chasing the Bard (2005)

by Philippa Ballantine

Series: Fey (1)

Wish there was a 1 1/2 star option, because this is definitely not even a 2 star book.
My main problems were her poor characterization of Puck, the absolute inability to ever include the "r" in any instance of the word brought (which happens to occur on just about every other page,) and the general lack of editing. The story itself wasn't bad, and I even found myself wanting to know what was going to happen with Will, but in the end, I was just completely underwhelmed. ( )
  walksaloneatnight | Nov 18, 2014 |
I loved the history involved, the factual Shakespearean knowledge portrayed as well as the fantasy. Overall a great "read" (I actually listened to it...)
I'm looking forward to my new jobs commute to work so that I'll have time to move on to another work of Ms Ballantine's. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
The world of the Fey is in a bit of trouble as a demonic power known as The Unmaker threatens to destroy both the world of the Fey and the human world. Sive, the goddess of battle, must stop The Unmaker, who takes the form of her new husband. She puts her people's hopes in none other than William Shakespeare, who doesn't realize he is part Fey. Sive's cousin, Puck, is sent to look over Shakespeare as he grows up to protect him from harm.

Chasing the Bard has a great premise. I never thought of William Shakespeare as being part Fey, but many think his writing is magical. Ballantine does a great job of mixing history with fantasy. The progression of the plot is logical and well thought out. Her writing skills are top notch and her style is enjoyable. There's nothing over the top about it. She has a very understated way of writing that really works for her subject matter. The characters are both flawed and easy to relate to, including the Bard. The ending of the book seemed a bit rushed, and I thought Ballantine could have slowed it down a bit. Otherwise, this was a well-written and enjoyable piece of historical fantasy.

Carl Alves - author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Apr 3, 2013 |
Currently free on Amazon.
  MrsJoseph | Mar 30, 2013 |
Currently free on Amazon.
  MrsJoseph | Mar 28, 2013 |

Born into the human world with a gift; a gift that brings him to the attention of powers both dark and light from the World of the Fey, it is his burden to defend all the world.

Sive, the goddess of battle, hopes that he may be able to change the fate of her people.The Fey are dying, killed by something beyond the boundaries of worlds, and Sive will do anything to save them. So she enlists the help of her trickster cousin Puck to guard the child, and watch him grow into his gift. But a dark power imprisoned by human and Fey, plots to destroy both worlds, and unmake all that they have created.

Can one boy stop the destruction, even if he is William Shakespeare?

Sive, the goddess of battle, hopes that William Shakespeare may be able to change the fate of her people. The Fey are dying, killed by something beyond the boundaries of worlds. But a dark power imprisoned by human and Fey, plots to destroy both worlds, and unmake all that they have created. Can the magic of word and imagination save creation?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,386,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible