I Am Hutterite: The Fascinating True Story…

I Am Hutterite: The Fascinating True Story of a Young Woman's Journey to… (original 2007; edition 2010)

by Mary-Ann Kirkby

Member:itsJUSTme
Title:I Am Hutterite: The Fascinating True Story of a Young Woman's Journey to Reclaim Her Heritage
Authors:Mary-Ann Kirkby
Info:Thomas Nelson (2010), Hardcover, 224 pages
Tags:Nonfiction, Memoir

I Am Hutterite by Mary-Ann Kirkby (2007)

I acquired this book to learn a bit more about the Hutterites, as some lived near a town I lived in as a young lad. The book fulfilled my hopes and I appreciate the time and effort the author took to write it.

The author does not bash Hutterites, nor does she elevate them. She just tells her story, mostly occurring in the early years of her life.

A number of photos enhance the book. There is no index. ( )
  SCRH | May 27, 2017 |
This was an informative read about life in a Hutterite colony. I was a little frustrated though, by the mis-alignment of the subtitle -- A young woman's journey to reclaim her heritage -- and the book itself. Well over half the book deals with the author's early life in the colony. After her parents "run away" from that life, the book talks about the author's challenges with fitting into English society. There is very little about losing/reclaiming her heritage, which I think would have been most interesting. Still worth reading with the proper expectations. ( )
  LynnB | Jul 22, 2016 |
Interesting book written about a girl's childhood, living in a communal type of religious community in Canada. The Hutterites spring from the Anabaptist movement, like the Amish did, but believe in sharing possessions - food, money, tools, etc. Like the Amish, sometimes a family has a conflict with the religious leader of their colony, and the family joins another colony or leaves altogether, as Mary Ann's family did. ( )
  nancynova | May 10, 2016 |
What a fascinating book! Ms. Kirkby gives firsthand insight into a closed society. I knew very little about Hutterite life/culture except that they were an Anabaptist group similar to that of Amish and Mennonites. The only reasons I didn't give it five stars is that a)the writing was a little confusing to follow, b)non-English words weren't translated (one of my biggest pet peeves in books (yes there is a dictionary in the back but I didn't know that until I finished the book (I had the ebook)), and c)who was related to whom was extremely hard to follow. Because this is a closed society, there are many interconnected families and so there are many members of the same family connected multiple ways. Because it this, it was hard to keep track who was related to whom. However, this book is a good book and for anyone interested in Amish society, this is an interesting read to compare to them. ( )
1 vote wagrobanite | Sep 24, 2013 |
I Am Hutterite is about the author's journey into her past. She brings the Hutterite community and the colonies she lived in to the forefront. We "the English" get a peek into their faith, the colony structures and their day to day lives. In writing her story she was able to learn about her own history/ancestry and the reasons why her parents left the Hutterite colony that they were living in.

I found the story to be fascinating, like the title states. Before seeing this book on the United Methodist Women reading program I honestly didn't know what a Hutterite was or that they even existed. I was drawn to the community aspect, the need to share the load and that it was always for the good of the colony. While there are strict rules in a colony, we have strict laws in place in the "outside" world that we must abide also. I am always amazed at the people that poke fun, are intolerant or feel they are "better than" another. These are all things the author had to deal with when her parents left their Hutterite colony. I saw bravery on her parents part when they broke away into the relative unknown. I know that reading this book will help me to be more tolerant of the differences we all have and the fact that beyond the exterior we all have a beating heart looking for love and understanding. ( )
  WillowOne | Aug 24, 2013 |
I found the information in the book fascinating. Alas, I also found the writing style jerky, and not entirely engaging.
added by MBels | editA Lot of Loves Reviews (Jun 6, 2010)

And all that believed were together,
And had all things in common;
And sold their possessions and goods,
And parted them to all men,
As every man had need.

Acts 2:44-45
Mary Maendel rose early Sunday morning and gently pushed back the feather quilt on her side of the bed, careful not to wake her niece, Sarah, who lay motionless beside her.

Shares how the author's life changed after her parents decided to leave their strict Hutterite community and she discovered an outside world that contained processed food, Walt Disney, and bikes.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,048,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible