The Eyre Affair: A Thursday Next Novel by…

The Eyre Affair: A Thursday Next Novel (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Jasper Fforde

12,506490192 (4)3 / 1026
Member:NigelTB
Title:The Eyre Affair: A Thursday Next Novel
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:Penguin Books (2003), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (2001)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (Kerian)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (coliemta)
    coliemta: One's more literary and the other more science-fiction-y, but they're both bizarre, hilarious and similar in feel. Most people who like one will enjoy the other.
    Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (flonor)
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (sanddancer)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (TomWaitsTables)
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (simon_carr)
    simon_carr: Similar light hearted style and 'book travelling' rather than time travelling but chances are if you like one then you'll like the other.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (lauranav)
    lauranav: The Eyre Affair has a great scene of an anger management session in Wuthering Heights!
    Shades of Grey: A Novel by Jasper Fforde (shallihavemydwarf)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (ShelfMonkey)
    Aberystwyth Mon Amour by Malcolm Pryce (ten_floors_up)
    ten_floors_up: This and the other books in the Aberystwyth series share a specifically British alternative universe, and a dollop of entertainingly twisted literary pastiche.
    The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry (Katie.Loughlin)
    Katie.Loughlin: The two books have very similar flavor, but The Manual of Detection is a darker fantasy novel.
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books but they will be difficult to find at your library.… (more)
    Schrodinger's Ball by Adam Felber (fyrefly98)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    Never the Bride by Paul Magrs (jonathankws)
    The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (LKAYC)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (TomWaitsTables)
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 1 by Alan Moore (interference)
    Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover by Bill Willingham (TomWaitsTables)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: YA version of the premise about moving in/out of fictional worlds.

English (473)  French (6)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  English (489)
Since I might be the last person to have read Fforde, I'll not bore everyone with a blow-by-blow review of The Eyre Affair. Just a quick summation of my thoughts.

I found it difficult to get into it at the start. There's no info-dump and the world building is, in a way, non-existent. As the reader I was left to figure out most of what was possible as things happened in the book. This, along with my expectation that the story was going to begin with Thursday being able to jump in and out of books, slowed me down for the first 1/3 of the book. Once I got a grip on what was going on, the story became more immersive and I found it harder to put the book down.

I also struggled a bit with the POV. It's first person but also occasionally slips into third person objective and this threw me off my game more than once. I didn't hate it but yeah, it would stop me in my tracks and I'd have to think "wait a minute - what?" and re-read a couple of paragraphs to find my groove again.

Having said all of that, it's an excellent story and the fantastical premise is guaranteed to hook me and keep me coming back for more. That moment in the FOTL store where I held this book in my hand and thought "hmm... a buck - should I? Why not?" was definitely one of my better literary buying impulses. ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 27, 2016 |
Though I love the idea of this book I feel that the author tried way too hard to the point of absolute campiness. I wish I cared what happens next to these characters but I don't. I was never completely drawn in. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
In an alternate 1985 in England, Special Agent Thursday Next of the Literary Division of Special Operations is called upon to try and rescue Jane Eyre (yes, that Jane Eyre) when Jane is kidnapped. Time travel, literary references and allusions and puns flying fast and furious are just a tiny bit of what makes this book a scream. ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
This book was just wildly entertaining. I can't believe I just started reading this series. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
I probably would have enjoyed this more if I knew more about history or literature - but it was very entertaining and fun to read even so. ( )
  KalessinAstarno | Nov 4, 2016 |
Fforde wears the marks of his literary forebears proudly on his sleeve, from Lewis Carroll and Wodehouse to Douglas Adams and Monty Python, in both inventiveness and sense of fun.
added by Katya0133 | editYale Review, David Galef (Oct 1, 2008)

Fforde delivers almost every sentence with a sly wink, and he's got an easy way with wordplay, trivia and inside jokes. ''The Eyre Affair'' can be too clever by half, and fiction like this is certainly an acquired taste, but Fforde's verve is rarely less than infectious.

A good editor might have trimmed away some of the annoying padding of this novel and helped the author to assimilate his heavy borrowings from other artists, but no matter: by the end of the novel, Mr. Fforde has, however belatedly, found his own exuberant voice.

THE EYRE AFFAIR is mostly a collection of jokes, conceits and puzzles. It's smart, frisky and sheer catnip for former English majors....And some of the jokes are clever indeed.
added by Shortride | editSalon, Laura Miller (Jan 24, 2002)

Dark, funny, complex, and inventive, THE EYRE AFFAIR is a breath of fresh air and easily one of the strongest debuts in years.
added by jburlinson | editLocus, Jonathan Strahan (Aug 1, 2001)

Jasper Ffordeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thomas, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
John Standish Fforde
1920-2000

Who never knew I was to be published but would have been most proud nonetheless
—and not a little surprised.
My father had a face that could stop a clock.
The barriers between reality and fiction are softer than we think; a bit like a frozen lake. Hundreds of people can walk across it, but then one evening a thin spot develops and someone falls through; the hole is frozen over by the following morning. (Victor to Thursday)
Governments and fashions come and go but Jane Eyre is for all time.

There is another 1985, somewhere in the could-have-been, where the Crimean war still rages, dodos are regenerated in home-cloning kits and everyone is deeply disappointed by the ending of 'Jane Eyre'. In this world there are no jet-liners or computers, but there are policemen who can travel across time, a Welsh republic, a great interest in all things literary - and a woman called Thursday Next.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142001805, Paperback)

Penzler Pick, January 2002: When I first heard the premise of this unique mystery, I doubted that a first-time author could pull off a complicated caper involving so many assumptions, not the least of which is a complete suspension of disbelief. Jasper Fforde is not only up to the task, he exceeds all expectations.

Imagine this. Great Britain in 1985 is close to being a police state. The Crimean War has dragged on for more than 130 years and Wales is self-governing. The only recognizable thing about this England is her citizens' enduring love of literature. And the Third Most Wanted criminal, Acheron Hades, is stealing characters from England's cherished literary heritage and holding them for ransom.

Bibliophiles will be enchanted, but not surprised, to learn that stealing a character from a book only changes that one book, but Hades has escalated his thievery. He has begun attacking the original manuscripts, thus changing all copies in print and enraging the reading public. That's why Special Operations Network has a Literary Division, and it is why one of its operatives, Thursday Next, is on the case.

Thursday is utterly delightful. She is vulnerable, smart, and, above all, literate. She has been trying to trace Hades ever since he stole Mr. Quaverley from the original manuscript of Martin Chuzzlewit and killed him. You will only remember Mr. Quaverley if you read Martin Chuzzlewit prior to 1985. But now Hades has set his sights on one of the plums of literature, Jane Eyre, and he must be stopped.

How Thursday achieves this and manages to preserve one of the great books of the Western canon makes for delightfully hilarious reading. You do not have to be an English major to be pulled into this story. You'll be rooting for Thursday, Jane, Mr. Rochester--and a familiar ending. --Otto Penzler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:12 -0400)

Great Britain circa 1985: time travel is routine, cloning is a reality (dodas are the resurrected pet of choice), and literature is taken very, very seriously. Based on an imaginary world where time and reality bend in the most convincing and original way since The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Eyre Affair is a delightful rabbit hole of a read: once you fall in you may never come back. England is a virtual police state where an aunt can get lost (literally) in Wordsworth poems, militant Baconians roam freely spreading the gospel that Bacon, not Shakespeare, penned those immortal works. And forging Byronic verse is a punishable offense. This is all business as usual for brainy, bookish (and heat-packing) Thursday Next, a renowned Special Operative in literary detection -- that is, until someone begins murdering characters from works of literature. When this madman plucks Jane Eyre from the pages of Bronte's novel Thursday faces the challenge of her career. Aided and abetted by characters that include her time-traveling father, an executive of the all-powerful Goliath Corporation, and Edward Rochester himself, Thursday must track down the world's Third Most Wanted criminal and enter the novel herself to avert a heinous act of literary homicide. A brilliantly outlandish and absorbing caper destined to become a classic adventure tale, The Eyre Affair is an irresistible thriller and the introduction to the imagination of a most distinctive writer. In Jasper Fforde's singular fictional universe no literary character is safe from crime. And for Special Operative Thursday Next this is only the beginning ...… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,665,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible