Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Eyre Affair (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Jasper Fforde

11,478435234 (4.02)3 / 932
Member:tanenbaum
Title:Eyre Affair
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:Viking, New York (2001), Paperback
Collections:Karen Read, Josh Read, Your library

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (2001)

alternate history (279) alternate reality (164) alternate universe (90) books (133) books about books (183) British (156) comedy (88) crime (111) detective (126) England (152) fantasy (1,309) fiction (1,699) humor (745) Jane Eyre (148) literary (88) literature (243) metafiction (97) mystery (763) novel (172) own (89) read (247) science fiction (393) series (198) sf (53) sff (78) signed (49) Thursday Next (599) time travel (302) to-read (188) unread (74)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (Kerian)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
  2. 2010
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (coliemta)
    coliemta: One's more literary and the other more science-fiction-y, but they're both bizarre, hilarious and similar in feel. Most people who like one will enjoy the other.
    Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (flonor)
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (sanddancer)
    To Say Nothing of the Dog; or, How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last by Connie Willis (simon_carr)
    simon_carr: Similar light hearted style and 'book travelling' rather than time travelling but chances are if you like one then you'll like the other.
    Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron by Jasper Fforde (shallihavemydwarf)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (one-horse.library)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (ShelfMonkey)
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (lauranav)
    lauranav: The Eyre Affair has a great scene of an anger management session in Wuthering Heights!
    The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry (Katie.Loughlin)
    Katie.Loughlin: The two books have very similar flavor, but The Manual of Detection is a darker fantasy novel.
    Aberystwyth Mon Amour by Malcolm Pryce (ten_floors_up)
    ten_floors_up: This and the other books in the Aberystwyth series share a specifically British alternative universe, and a dollop of entertainingly twisted literary pastiche.
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books but they will be difficult to find at your library.… (more)
    Schrodinger's Ball by Adam Felber (fyrefly98)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    The Aunt Paradox by Chris Dolley (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style of writing and humour
    The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (LKAYC)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (one-horse.library)
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 1 by Alan Moore (interference)
    Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover by Bill Willingham (one-horse.library)
    Never the Bride by Paul Magrs (jonathankws)

English (418)  French (6)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (433)
Since I already reviewed the book version of The Eyre Affair, I won’t say too much about the story here. All of the strange things that happen in this book, the things that make it remind me of Douglas Adams, were initially a little harder to follow as an audiobook. That got better as I went, but I still might recommend the written version over the audio. The narrator was very good, however, doing both female and male voices convincingly and with emotion. For that reason, I would certainly recommend re-reading as an audiobook. In fact, I think I enjoyed the story even more than the first time, once I got into it. I wasn’t quite as focused on how novel the world was and was able to enjoy this more as an adventure/mystery. Now I can’t wait to read the rest of the series!

This review first published on Doing Dewey. ( )
  DoingDewey | Jun 29, 2014 |
This is a book on a (the?) ‘Best 21 c. Fantasy Novels’ which is why I picked it up. I liked the way that literature is so important in this futuristic world. And I liked Thursday. The story itself was pretty engaging with some tiny bit of mystery and thrill. Mostly it felt more like a crime story centered around books. Fascinating, but crime solving/fighting has never been big on my reading likes. If it wasn’t centered around literature I probably wouldn’t have liked it as much as I did. I do give props for originality as it was the first of its kind I have read. I like to imagine what our world will turn out to be like and thus I do enjoy books that touch on the possibilities. Perhaps I might have gotten more out of the book if I had read Jane Eyre itself beforehand but I have not yet got to that classic. There was a lot of literary references and I’m sure I only caught half of them if that. Which is partly why I’m looking to read these popular books and the older ‘classic’ books. This book being one of the former, I’m glad I got to it. I am certainly looking forward to Jane Eyre, and William Shakespeare when I get to them as I have learned a lot about the two while listening to this particular book. Recommended to anyone who is a complete book nerd. ( )
  Kassilem | Jun 28, 2014 |
Strong female lead character - Thursday Next goes from detecting fake Shakespeare plays to trying to trap the most deadly criminal - a man who can disguise himself as anyone and make you believe anything whose whole family seems to be named after rivers in Hades. In an almost deadly confrontation with Acheron Hades, Thursday is only saved thanks to the ministrations of Rochester, who has leapt out of Jane Eyre. Thus begin Next's adventures inside fiction. Hades has a brilliant scheme to hold great British literature hostage by removing characters from original manuscripts. Yeah, yeah - where there's a will and all. Suspend your disbelief! This book is both funny and suspenseful. Loved Miss Havisham especially.
  marfita | Jun 16, 2014 |
I really liked this, and am looking forward to the next in the series. ( )
  bonreads | Jun 11, 2014 |
Fforde wears the marks of his literary forebears proudly on his sleeve, from Lewis Carroll and Wodehouse to Douglas Adams and Monty Python, in both inventiveness and sense of fun.
added by Katya0133 | editYale Review, David Galef (Oct 1, 2008)

Fforde delivers almost every sentence with a sly wink, and he's got an easy way with wordplay, trivia and inside jokes. ''The Eyre Affair'' can be too clever by half, and fiction like this is certainly an acquired taste, but Fforde's verve is rarely less than infectious.

A good editor might have trimmed away some of the annoying padding of this novel and helped the author to assimilate his heavy borrowings from other artists, but no matter: by the end of the novel, Mr. Fforde has, however belatedly, found his own exuberant voice.

THE EYRE AFFAIR is mostly a collection of jokes, conceits and puzzles. It's smart, frisky and sheer catnip for former English majors....And some of the jokes are clever indeed.
added by Shortride | editSalon, Laura Miller (Jan 24, 2002)

Dark, funny, complex, and inventive, THE EYRE AFFAIR is a breath of fresh air and easily one of the strongest debuts in years.
added by jburlinson | editLocus, Jonathan Strahan (Aug 1, 2001)

Jasper Ffordeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
John Standish Fforde
1920-2000

Who never knew I was to be published but would have been most proud nonetheless
--and not a little surprised.
My father had a face that could stop a clock.
The barriers between reality and fiction are softer than we think; a bit like a frozen lake. Hundreds of people can walk across it, but then one evening a thin spot develops and someone falls through; the hole is frozen over by the following morning. (Victor to Thursday)
Governments and fashions come and go but Jane Eyre is for all time.

There is another 1985, somewhere in the could-have-been, where the Crimean war still rages, dodos are regenerated in home-cloning kits and everyone is deeply disappointed by the ending of 'Jane Eyre'. In this world there are no jet-liners or computers, but there are policemen who can travel across time, a Welsh republic, a great interest in all things literary - and a woman called Thursday Next.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142001805, Paperback)

Penzler Pick, January 2002: When I first heard the premise of this unique mystery, I doubted that a first-time author could pull off a complicated caper involving so many assumptions, not the least of which is a complete suspension of disbelief. Jasper Fforde is not only up to the task, he exceeds all expectations.

Imagine this. Great Britain in 1985 is close to being a police state. The Crimean War has dragged on for more than 130 years and Wales is self-governing. The only recognizable thing about this England is her citizens' enduring love of literature. And the Third Most Wanted criminal, Acheron Hades, is stealing characters from England's cherished literary heritage and holding them for ransom.

Bibliophiles will be enchanted, but not surprised, to learn that stealing a character from a book only changes that one book, but Hades has escalated his thievery. He has begun attacking the original manuscripts, thus changing all copies in print and enraging the reading public. That's why Special Operations Network has a Literary Division, and it is why one of its operatives, Thursday Next, is on the case.

Thursday is utterly delightful. She is vulnerable, smart, and, above all, literate. She has been trying to trace Hades ever since he stole Mr. Quaverley from the original manuscript of Martin Chuzzlewit and killed him. You will only remember Mr. Quaverley if you read Martin Chuzzlewit prior to 1985. But now Hades has set his sights on one of the plums of literature, Jane Eyre, and he must be stopped.

How Thursday achieves this and manages to preserve one of the great books of the Western canon makes for delightfully hilarious reading. You do not have to be an English major to be pulled into this story. You'll be rooting for Thursday, Jane, Mr. Rochester--and a familiar ending. --Otto Penzler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:21 -0400)

In a world where one can literally get lost in literature, Thursday Next, a Special Operative in literary detection, tries to stop the world's Third Most Wanted criminal from kidnapping characters, including Jane Eyre, from works of literature.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,477,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible