Doppler by Erland Loe

Doppler (original 2004; edition 2012)

by Erland Loe, Don Bartlett (Translator), Don Shaw (Translator)

Authors:Erland Loe
Other authors:Don Bartlett (Translator), Don Shaw (Translator)
Info:House of Anasi Press (2012), Hardcover, 183 pages
Collections:Your library, @Home
Tags:Fiction, Nature

Doppler by Erlend Loe (2004)

English (12)  Danish (4)  Norwegian (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (23)
This book defies description, but I’ll have a go. It’s about Doppler, a Norwegian guy who after the death of his father has an accident on his bike and subsequently turns his back on civilization to live in the forest. His sole companion is Bongo, an elk calf which he feels responsible for having shot Bongo’s mother for food. The conversations with Bongo made me smile. It’s a tale about family, grief, alienation and a gradual warming towards civilization again, or so you think. No matter how much Doppler wants to be alone, he seems to attract people around him.
It’s a charming tale with a cutting edge. Doppler is happy in the forest but is a keen observer of the society he has rejected. Forced to communicate again with his pregnant wife and two children, he struggles to cope with modern society and his responsibilities, Teletubbies add Bob the Builder included. His teenage daughter Nora, named after an Ibsen character of course, insists on talking to him in elfish. His son Gregus forgets the television and instead helps him carve a totem pole, intended as a memorial to Doppler’s father but which comes to represent the three male generations of Dopplers and Bongo.
I read it quickly and wished it was longer, a book that will yield more for re-reading I think.
Read more of my book reviews at http://www.sandradanby.com/book-reviews-a-z/ ( )
  Sandradan1 | Oct 30, 2015 |
Very interesting read. Not sure I liked the jokey portions; they sometimes came off as too flippant. Otherwise a great read about a guy who tosses everything to live in the woods...and yet who can't find the solitude he craves when others take that as a signal to do the same and move in next to him.
I do like the redemption he achieves with his son at the end. And the fact that he doesn't give up on his new life...he just moves on. He moves forward, really, and that's a powerful statement.
  Laine-Cunningham | Feb 22, 2015 |
I just love everything Erlend writes. This story was partly sad (I am animal lover, so you can imagine if you read it), but once you get over the start, it is jolly good novel. ( )
  BunnysBla | Feb 19, 2014 |
Doppler is a very strange book for all the right reasons. It is the stream of consciousness of a man, Andreas Doppler, who comes to the realisation that he has grown weary of living a proper life with all the other proper people doing proper things. He decides to go live out in the woods for an indefinite amount of time. Pointless, yes, but no more so than anything else he could be doing. The book is both funny and clever without getting too pleased with itself. It also manages to maintain a slight discomfort and uneasiness throughout. It's impossible not to like the main character, but at the same time it is impossible to accept his thoughts and his actions. Doing so would invalidate too many of the premises our society is based on. However, the book never becomes preachy. It poses many questions, but doesn't claim to know all, or even any of the answers. Even when it makes judgements (and quite harsh ones at that) it is done in a slightly absurd and irreverent way which I doubt would offend anyone, even if they happened to identify with the conservative-voting money-grabbing stereotype the main character dislikes so much. In short the book manages to put question marks next to many established truths and wisdoms in a way which I think will give everyone some food for thought without patronising anyone. That's quite rare. ( )
  clq | Aug 11, 2013 |
I picked this book up because of the cover, because of the blurb and especially because of the moose. I'm intrigued by Scandanavian stories and had high hopes for Doppler. My reading was that Doppler is meant to be a sort of anti-consumerist messiah. He doesn't grow or evolve through the story, rather everyone around him comes to embrace his views. Or they're idiots. If you've been looking for a tale to affirm your decision to ditch the wife and kids and get in touch with your inner forest troll, this is the book for you. But be warned: the moose does't turn up as much as you might wish. ( )
  frisky_kitty | Mar 24, 2013 |

Erlend Loeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eklund, LottaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The woods are lovely dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Robert Frost
My father is dead.

A bestseller in Scandinavia -- Doppler is the enchanting, subversive, and very unusual story about one man and his moose.

This beguiling modern fable tells the story of a man who, after the death of his father, abandons his home, his family, his career, and the trappings of civilization for a makeshift tent in the woods where he adopts a moose-calf named Bongo. Or is it Bongo who adopts him? Together they devote themselves, with some surprising results, to the art of carefree living.

Hilarious, touching, and poignant in equal measure -- you will read it with tear-stained cheeks and sore sides -- Doppler is also a deeply subversive novel and a strong criticism of modern consumer culture.

Doppler loses his father, leaves his family and decides to move into the woods. When he kills a she-elk for meat, he's adopted by her calf with whom he gradually becomes friends. He names the little elk Bongo. This is a charming, absurd and subversive novel with serious undertones and criticism of our modern consumer society.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,879,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible