Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson

Out Stealing Horses (2003)

by Per Petterson

3,1451921,783 (3.94)311
Recently added byprivate library, reganrule, lcd, eskild, teresaemu, etbm2003, allthingswords

English (179)  Dutch (3)  Danish (3)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (192)
A lovely, lovely read that is very well written and gives the reader glimpses of the life of a man in his 60s, Trond, who has moved to a village. There is tragedy, sadness and happiness here too but Per Petterson measures very carefully what he tells the reader and does this brilliantly. The novel flits back and forth between 1999 and 1948 and we learn snippets about each of those times. It is an atmospheric and very enjoyable novel.
In 1948, Trond is 15 years old and spending the summer in the country with his father. Trond struggles to understand some of the events that happened to his father and neighbours and as an older man in 1999, he has once again moved to the country to live on his own and when he meets someone from that summer he thinks back to those events in 1948 and tries to make some sense. ( )
  Tifi | Aug 10, 2014 |
The author is a former librarian and bookseller who lives in Oslo, Norway. Awesome to know that one of his awards for this title is "One of the 10 Best Books of the Year" - New York Times Book Review. It's a very moving story. I agree with Newsweek - "...you know you're in the hands of a master storyteller." ( )
  Corduroy7 | Aug 6, 2014 |
Although I mostly enjoyed this book, I found I was left with a lot of unanswered questions at the end. ( )
  bibliophileofalls | Jun 17, 2014 |
I had a hard time getting into this book. I wished I had read it in Swedish instead as I sometimes relate to the characters better in my native language. ( )
  AnnikaBirgitta | Jun 10, 2014 |
I enjoyed this novel more than expected after reading Ceridwen's negative review. The British idiomatic translation didn't bother me. In fact, it seems more in keeping with the Norwegian postwar setting than American English might be. I do admit to having been taken aback when Trond's father says, "Blow me," when his 15 year old son comes into their cabin soaking wet after having been out early in the AM caught in a storm. Overall the spareness of the prose matches both the physical and emotional landscape of the novel. Since I read this novel as vacation reading over a two week period, it entered my consciousness in fragments, which perhaps did not do it justice. However, it seems fitting that I read parts of this novel set in rural Norway while staying at a resort on Washington Island in Wisconsin run by a Norwegian family since 1902.
"Out stealing horses" refers to the early AM excursion mentioned above during which Trond & his friend Jon ride a neighbor's horses without authorization. Trond arrives home wet and dirty because his horse throws him & because a fierce storm starts up. "Out stealing horses" also refers to the code words Trond's father used when passing information across the border into Sweden for the Resistance while Norway was occupied by Germany during WWII.
My one criticism of the novel is that I don't quite believe the ending of the story. Perhaps because the first person narration so severely limits our knowledge of the adult characters whom Trond remembers in the flashback chapters. (I found the two-time-frame, back-and-forth form clunky at times) This is particularly true of Trond's parents. The result is that Trond's father's decision to leave his family and, apparently, go off with Jon & Lars's mother (whom he worked with in the Resistance) is only partially supported by what we know of him. What we do know makes the fact that he never again contacts his first family nor support them (other than giving them the 150 kroner from cutting the timber--enough to buy Trond a new suit)a strange and not quite credible turn of events. ( )
  Paulagraph | May 25, 2014 |
Here is a remarkable novel, one which appears to be about nothing in particular, featuring barely half a dozen characters, several of whom have no names. Hardly anything happens. A boy dies, a man gets shot, another boy is given a new suit, and that, more or less, is that.

Le Norvégien Per Petterson signe un magnifique roman sur les saisons de la vie, sur ces moments qui font que l'on n'est soudain plus le même.

added by NeueWelle | editLibération, Lindon Mathieu (Aug 31, 2006)

Petterson, Perprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Born, AnnePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sinding, TerjeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verner-Carlsson, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vikhagen, HåvardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tidlig november.  Klokka er ni.  Kjøttmeisene smeller mot vinduet.  Noen ganger faller de og blir liggende i nysnøen og kave før de kommer seg på vingene igjen.  Jeg veit ikke hva jeg har som de vil ha.

Early November. It's nine o'clock. The titmice are banging against the window.
I listen to the news, cannot break that habit...but it no longer has the same place in my life. It does not affect my view of the world as it once did.
Original Norwegian title: Ut og stjæle hester

We were going out stealing horses. That was what he said, standing at the door to the cabin where I was spending the summer with my father. I was fifteen. It was 1948 and oneof the first days of July.

Trond's friend Jon often appeared at his doorstep with an adventure in mind for the two of them. But this morning was different. What began as a joy ride on "borrowed" horses ends with Jon falling into a strange trance of grief. Trond soon learns what befell Jon earlier that day--an incident that marks the beginning of a series of vital losses for both boys.

Set in the easternmost region of Norway, Out Stealing Horses begins with an ending. Sixty-seven-year-old Trond has settled into a rustic cabin in an isolated area to live the rest of his life with a quiet deliberation. A meeting with his only neighbor, however, forces him to reflect on that fateful summer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:01 -0400)

An early morning adventure out stealing horses leads to the tragic death of one boy and a resulting lifetime of guilt and isolation for his friend, in this moving tale about the painful loss of innocence and of traditional ways of life that are gone forever.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,273,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible