Ut og stjæle hester by Per Petterson

Ut og stjæle hester (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Per Petterson

3,1681941,767 (3.93)316
Member:adlib
Title:Ut og stjæle hester
Authors:Per Petterson
Info:Oslo Oktober 2003
Tags:fiction, eier, read, norwegian literature

Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson (2003)

English (179)  Dutch (4)  Danish (3)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (194)
I suppose this book would be classified as a coming of age story but it is more than that; it is a wonderful evocation of life in rural Norway immediately after the Second World War. It is also a reflection on a life with all the warts exposed.
Trond Sander has been a widower for 3 years and he has recently purchased a small remote cottage to live in year round. He has a dog, Lyra, but other than that his days are spent alone. Then one night he hears his neighbour calling for his dog, Poker, and he goes out to help. Lars Haug also lives alone with just his dog for company but it is more than that which draws the two men together. They first met in the summer of 1948, a summer that was a turning point for both of them.
Trond and his father spent the summer in a cottage near the farm where Lars, his brothers and his mother and father lived. Trond was good friends with Jon, Lars’ oldest brother, and they often spent hours together. The title refers to a day Trond and Jon went across the river to ride horses belonging to the big landowner in the district. They don’t actually steal the horses, just a ride on them.
By the end of the summer everything has changed for Trond but also for Lars and their whole families. It is Trond’s story that is the focus and it is beautifully (and also painfully) told.
This book was translated by Anne Born who, as best I can tell, did a great job of the translation. It still has a flavor of the original Norwegian which is important for the total feel of the book.
Highly recommended. ( )
  gypsysmom | Nov 6, 2014 |
A lovely, lovely read that is very well written and gives the reader glimpses of the life of a man in his 60s, Trond, who has moved to a village. There is tragedy, sadness and happiness here too but Per Petterson measures very carefully what he tells the reader and does this brilliantly. The novel flits back and forth between 1999 and 1948 and we learn snippets about each of those times. It is an atmospheric and very enjoyable novel.
In 1948, Trond is 15 years old and spending the summer in the country with his father. Trond struggles to understand some of the events that happened to his father and neighbours and as an older man in 1999, he has once again moved to the country to live on his own and when he meets someone from that summer he thinks back to those events in 1948 and tries to make some sense. ( )
  Tifi | Aug 10, 2014 |
The author is a former librarian and bookseller who lives in Oslo, Norway. Awesome to know that one of his awards for this title is "One of the 10 Best Books of the Year" - New York Times Book Review. It's a very moving story. I agree with Newsweek - "...you know you're in the hands of a master storyteller." ( )
  Corduroy7 | Aug 6, 2014 |
Although I mostly enjoyed this book, I found I was left with a lot of unanswered questions at the end. ( )
  bibliophileofalls | Jun 17, 2014 |
I had a hard time getting into this book. I wished I had read it in Swedish instead as I sometimes relate to the characters better in my native language. ( )
  AnnikaBirgitta | Jun 10, 2014 |
Here is a remarkable novel, one which appears to be about nothing in particular, featuring barely half a dozen characters, several of whom have no names. Hardly anything happens. A boy dies, a man gets shot, another boy is given a new suit, and that, more or less, is that.

Le Norvégien Per Petterson signe un magnifique roman sur les saisons de la vie, sur ces moments qui font que l'on n'est soudain plus le même.

added by NeueWelle | editLibération, Lindon Mathieu (Aug 31, 2006)

Petterson, Perprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Born, AnnePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sinding, TerjeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verner-Carlsson, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vikhagen, HåvardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tidlig november.  Klokka er ni.  Kjøttmeisene smeller mot vinduet.  Noen ganger faller de og blir liggende i nysnøen og kave før de kommer seg på vingene igjen.  Jeg veit ikke hva jeg har som de vil ha.

Early November. It's nine o'clock. The titmice are banging against the window.
I listen to the news, cannot break that habit...but it no longer has the same place in my life. It does not affect my view of the world as it once did.
Original Norwegian title: Ut og stjæle hester

We were going out stealing horses. That was what he said, standing at the door to the cabin where I was spending the summer with my father. I was fifteen. It was 1948 and oneof the first days of July.

Trond's friend Jon often appeared at his doorstep with an adventure in mind for the two of them. But this morning was different. What began as a joy ride on "borrowed" horses ends with Jon falling into a strange trance of grief. Trond soon learns what befell Jon earlier that day--an incident that marks the beginning of a series of vital losses for both boys.

Set in the easternmost region of Norway, Out Stealing Horses begins with an ending. Sixty-seven-year-old Trond has settled into a rustic cabin in an isolated area to live the rest of his life with a quiet deliberation. A meeting with his only neighbor, however, forces him to reflect on that fateful summer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:01 -0400)

An early morning adventure out stealing horses leads to the tragic death of one boy and a resulting lifetime of guilt and isolation for his friend, in this moving tale about the painful loss of innocence and of traditional ways of life that are gone forever.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,037,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible