Ut og stjæle hester by Per Petterson

Ut og stjæle hester (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Per Petterson

3,107None1,810 (3.93)302
Member:adlib
Title:Ut og stjæle hester
Authors:Per Petterson
Info:Oslo Oktober 2003
Tags:fiction, eier, read, norwegian literature

Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson (2003)

English (174)  Dutch (3)  Danish (3)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (187)
I blazed through this one in a couple of days. Petterson's prose is so light and airy (yet powerful!) that it encourages a high rate of consumption. Every word is so carefully chosen. Of his other books, I have only read In the Wake, but I can say that Petterson sharpened the storytelling style of that novel even more in this one. The plot meanders out into clear sight in a similar way, flashing from past to present and back again, teasing the reader with minor revelations and luring us even farther along with slow-building suspense. In the most basic terms, this is a story about a man and his father. But it is so much more than that. I am now curious to seek out Petterson's debut short story collection, as well as his most recent novel to be translated into English. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 5, 2014 |
A superb read for someone who has been a son and now has a son himself. Or for anyone else, probably, if you like a high standard of writing without being high-flown or "abstruse". So well written that visualization of the landscape and the protagonists' place in it is so easy and enriching of the plot. One of my favourite books of all time, second only to the complete works of William Faulkner.
An interview with Per Petterson on this book is due to be broadcast on the BBC World Service on June 7 2014. It may include a question from me along the lines of:
"I read the book when I was 67, the same age as the narrator. Reading some of the sentences affected my breathing (in a good way) so much that I had to stop for a while. The only other time I can recall this happening is sometimes when I'm reading Faulkner. Does this ever happen to you either when you've just written a particular sentence or paragraph of your own or when you have been reading any particular writer?" ( )
  jimsnopes | Apr 2, 2014 |
Trond Sander, widower and partial recluse, reflects back to age 15, a joyful yet fleeting summer of 1948 in the Norwegian forests with his far-too-absent father, cutting spruce for timber, "stealing" horses, and forging tentative bonds. A tragedy, and confused adolescent emotions offset the limitless surroundings of the city-bred boy. Recent wartime clandestine removal, and, later, a permanent removal of the father leaves Trond lonely and distrusting even now, in his sixty-seventh year. The language here, with a nod due the translator, is as spare and clean as the carefully limbed and stacked spruce trees to be floated down the sparkling cabin-side river of his youth. And now I want to name my next dog Lyra. ( )
  JamesMScott | Oct 18, 2013 |
This novel is a little treasure.

The main character, Trond, reflects back on his life and, in particular, one life-altering, coming-of-age summer when he was fifteen. The novel is set in 1948 Norway, very close to the Swedish border. I enjoyed picturing the settings as I was reading about them.

Petterson's style of writing is efficiently sparse and the story flows beautifully. I was engaged with the tale immediately. The youthful innocence Trond exhibits, along with his admiration and devotion to his father make him so endearing. As a sixty-seven year old man, he possesses a clarity and calmness that is enviable.

I had a similar feeling and reaction when I read 'My Antonía' by Willa Cather and 'The Sea' by John Banville.

I highly recommend 'Out Stealing Horses'. ( )
  DawsonOakes | Sep 20, 2013 |
The writing is this book is beautiful. I could feel the cold when reading. And, the premise of the story -- a man attempting to escape his past but events just will not let them, is a good one. However, after a while, I just felt like I was missing something. The time sequence of the novel moves from present to past and back again and at times I had difficulty making those moves. This is definitely a study in characterization, not plot. I agree with those that praised the writing style, and agreed with those that felt it left them somehow unfulfilled. ( )
  maryreinert | Aug 23, 2013 |
Here is a remarkable novel, one which appears to be about nothing in particular, featuring barely half a dozen characters, several of whom have no names. Hardly anything happens. A boy dies, a man gets shot, another boy is given a new suit, and that, more or less, is that.

Le Norvégien Per Petterson signe un magnifique roman sur les saisons de la vie, sur ces moments qui font que l'on n'est soudain plus le même.

added by NeueWelle | editLibération, Lindon Mathieu (Aug 31, 2006)

Petterson, Perprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Born, AnnePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sinding, TerjeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verner-Carlsson, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vikhagen, HåvardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tidlig november.  Klokka er ni.  Kjøttmeisene smeller mot vinduet.  Noen ganger faller de og blir liggende i nysnøen og kave før de kommer seg på vingene igjen.  Jeg veit ikke hva jeg har som de vil ha.

Early November. It's nine o'clock. The titmice are banging against the window.
I listen to the news, cannot break that habit...but it no longer has the same place in my life. It does not affect my view of the world as it once did.
Original Norwegian title: Ut og stjæle hester

We were going out stealing horses. That was what he said, standing at the door to the cabin where I was spending the summer with my father. I was fifteen. It was 1948 and oneof the first days of July.

Trond's friend Jon often appeared at his doorstep with an adventure in mind for the two of them. But this morning was different. What began as a joy ride on "borrowed" horses ends with Jon falling into a strange trance of grief. Trond soon learns what befell Jon earlier that day--an incident that marks the beginning of a series of vital losses for both boys.

Set in the easternmost region of Norway, Out Stealing Horses begins with an ending. Sixty-seven-year-old Trond has settled into a rustic cabin in an isolated area to live the rest of his life with a quiet deliberation. A meeting with his only neighbor, however, forces him to reflect on that fateful summer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:01 -0400)

An early morning adventure out stealing horses leads to the tragic death of one boy and a resulting lifetime of guilt and isolation for his friend, in this moving tale about the painful loss of innocence and of traditional ways of life that are gone forever.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,440,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible