The Golden Road by L. M. Montgomery

The Golden Road (1913)

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: The Story Girl (2)

English (15)  Italian (1)  All languages (16)
The ongoing adventures of the King cousins as they spend another year together, start a newspaper, get into various scrapes, and face the changes that come with growing up.

Charming as ever, I remained interested to see the differences between this book and The Road to Avonlea series, which took this and the previous book as its source material. Montgomery's ability to paint a landscape remains as beautiful as ever, although there were a few passages that felt a bit too much even for this fan. Nevertheless, there's plenty to delight here and it was just the reliably good read I needed. ( )
  MickyFine | Mar 25, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"The Golden Road" by L.M. Montgomery is the continuing adventures of the King children & the delightful Sara Stanley from "The Story Girl". Innocent & Sweet, The Golden Road, is a "Slice of Life" tale about friendship & growing up. A bit slow in places, it is still worth reading. As one would expect from a Montgomery book it is funny, sad, & nostalgic. I enjoyed it but not as much as her Anne of Green Gables books which have true magic & will always have first place in my heart. ( )
  frogwindy | Jul 22, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The setting was on Prince Edward Island, the same as in the Anne series, but this time in the town of Carlisle. One of the stories explains the reason it was named Carlisle.

The Story Girl is a lot like Anne Shirley, obsessed with words, drama, and poetry. However, for some reason, I don't connect with her like I do with Anne of Green Gables.

I guess I didn't like how the narrator was another character, a boy named Bev, who just didn't seem to have much of a depth of character. When “he” used the highly descriptive language L.M. Montgomery uses with such poetic imagery in other books, I felt it was inconsistent with Bev's voice, differing in tone from how he addresses the other children in their group.

I didn't really connect with any of the characters. Felicity was stuck-up and vain, Peter besotted and superstitious, Sara Rey unintelligent and annoyingly pessimistic, Dan rudely sarcastic, Felix uninteresting. I think the character of Peg Bowen, the supposed witch, was the most fascinating.

There is some saving humor hidden in each story, sometimes in the commentary sprinkled throughout the main story that's being told. The magazine they create is really just a rehashing from each characters' perspective, but they can be humorous.

I had read the Story Girl when I was a girl but had forgotten almost all of it. Now I think I know why. This was too much like Anne of Green Gables without the magic of it, and nothing stood out as unique or memorable to me. It's merely a collection of short stories put together as stories by the intrepid Story Girl, Sara Stanley. The overarching plot tying these threads together is very loose. And there was too much sadness at the end: a death, a foreshadowed death, and a goodbye.

This particular edition felt more modern and the type was much easier to read than my old editions of L.M. Montgomery's books. There was only one typo that I saw (on p.194, 3rd line from bottom: “One of the children too it when she wasn't looking...” ought to be, “One of the children took it...”

Favorite quotes:
“It was May before the weather began to satisfy the grown-ups. But we children were more easily pleased, and we thought April a splendid month...” (p.105).

(I received this book for free. The decision to write a review, as well as the opinions expressed in it, are all my own. I was not compensated for this review.) ( )
  Liladillerauthor | Jul 14, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Golden Road by L.M. Montgomery is the sequel to The Story Girl. I am glad I read The Story Girl, as the foundation for the characters was laid in that first book. This is a wonderful book for children that parents do not have to worry about having questionable content. The children are sweet and innocent, they play outdoors, they have chores to do around the house. While I do prefer Anne of Green Gables, these are lovely stories to get lost in. ( )
  fuller0462 | May 27, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a huge fan of Anne of Green Gables, I was so excited to read this book. And I wasn't disappointed. This book felt very nostalgic to me, it was beautifully written and truly captured the innocence of childhood. The ending was a bit sad, but overall, it was a wonderful read that somehow captured the magic in this world. Recommend for kids and adults! ( )
  bookworm985 | May 27, 2018 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Curreli, AugustaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Righi, Maria LuisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Life was a rose-lipped comrade
With purple flowers dripping from her fingers."

—The Author.
TO

THE MEMORY OF

Aunt Mary Lawson

WHO TOLD ME MANY OF THE TALES

REPEATED BY THE

STORY GIRL
Once upon a time we all walked on the golden road.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

When Sara Stanley, the Story Girl, returns to  Carlisle to spend the winter with the King family, she  comes up with a great idea. To help them through  the dreary months ahead, she, Felicity, Cecily,  and Dan will publish a magazine. From  "Personals" to "Fashion Notes" to an  etiquette column and stories of the most interesting  happenings in Carlisle, Our Magazine quickly becomes  the most entertaining publication anyone in town  has ever read. But seasons pass, nothing is forever  -- and soon it will be time for the Story Girl to  leave her good friends on Prince Edward Island,  friends with whom she has walked the golden road of  youth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:07 -0400)

Staying the winter on Prince Edward Island with the King family, Sara Stanley and the King children decide to publish their own magazine.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

L. M. Montgomery's book The Golden Road was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,491,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible