The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis

The Great Divorce (edition 1965)

by C. S. Lewis

Member:infiniteletters
Title:The Great Divorce
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:New York, Macmillan (08678). 1965, c1946. viii p., 1 l., 128 p. 18 cm.
Collections:Your library, Ether, To read
Tags:adventure, religion, Christian, supernatural, ghosts, travel, bus, Heaven, Hell, good and evil, unread, small paperback, Bookcase 6-2

The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis

Recently added byJVS2, Kit75, badwolfbb, mimcmullen, mgerace, brianghedges, private library, robert_brewis

English (67)  German (1)  All languages (68)
In this slim allegorical tale, Mr. Lewis illustrates the idea that "no unclean thing can enter the kingdom of God" in a very concrete way. Over and over we see "ghosts" who are bid to enter heaven but will not if it requires them letting go their earthly attachments. I especially liked the introductory passage by the author and how he conceives of this idea. Lots to think about. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jul 27, 2014 |
I'm not a great fan of allegory... ( )
  KirkLowery | Mar 4, 2014 |
Another allegory illustrating deep theological ideas. ( )
  krista.rutherford | Jan 3, 2014 |
Some very interesting theological ideas and a brilliant allegory. ( )
  A.J.Lumaren | Sep 13, 2013 |
I tried to get into this literary classic and just couldn't quite understand it. It came highly recommended to me by a friend of mine because he knew I had just read and enjoyed Rob Bell's, "Love Wins". Apparently Lewis and Bell think similarly on issues relating to Heaven, Hell, and the afterlife. But, there was just too much use of allegory and symbolism in "The Great Divorce" that I couldn't bring myself to finish it simply for a lack of understanding on my part. If I can't understand a book then I don't see the sense in continuing to read it. And, so I reluctantly stopped reading this one about halfway through. If you have no problem understanding allegory, then I recommend this book. But, if you are like me and find it difficult to understand allegory, then save yourself the time and read Love Wins instead. ( )
  gdill | May 16, 2013 |
"No, there is no escape. There is no heaven with a little of hell in it--no plan to retain this or that of the devil in our hearts or our pockets. Out Satan must go, every hair and feather."--George MacDonald
Barbara Wall: Best and most long-suffering of scribes
I seemed to be standing in a busy queue by the side of a long, mean street.
When the sun rises here and the twilight turns to blackness down there, the Blessed will say, "We have never lived anywhere except in Heaven," and the Lost, "We were always in Hell."
And both will speak truly.
There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, in the end, "Thy will be done." All that are in Hell, choose it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060652950, Paperback)

The Great Divorce is C.S. Lewis's Divine Comedy: the narrator bears strong resemblance to Lewis (by way of Dante); his Virgil is the fantasy writer George MacDonald; and upon boarding a bus in a nondescript neighborhood, the narrator is taken to Heaven and Hell. The book's primary message is presented with almost oblique tidiness--"There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.'" However, the narrator's descriptions of sin and temptation will hit quite close to home for many readers. Lewis has a genius for describing the intricacies of vanity and self-deception, and this book is tremendously persistent in forcing its reader to consider the ultimate consequences of everyday pettiness. --Michael Joseph Gross

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:47 -0400)

A symbolic fantasy which finds a busload of condemned ghosts faced with the choice of giving up their cherished sins to enter the gates of Paradise.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,098,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible