The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis

The Great Divorce (edition 2009)

by C. S. Lewis

Member:fuzzi
Title:The Great Divorce
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperOne (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 160 pages
Collections:To read, Christian
Tags:Christian

The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis

English (78)  German (1)  All languages (79)
This book was a little hard to read, since it was written in an old fashion "language", but it was short. It kind of reminded me of some of the weird dreams I have. I can't say I understood most of it, but perhaps my mind will continue to process it all. ( )
  Krild13 | Jun 10, 2016 |
This is story is about a bus trip from hell to heaven. The passengers are allowed to stay, and all but one of them chooses to go home. I'd never before thought that people might choose to leave heaven, but Lewis depicts very well the types of pride that might lure one into preferring a reign in hell over servitude in heaven. Hell is depicted here as a very lonely place, a haven of solipsists. People who wouldn't want to be in heaven if it's a place where God forgives people like [insert here someone you loath or despise]. ( )
1 vote evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
This has long been a favorite of mine, and a perfect read for February's book choice for my Book Club.

The unnamed protagonist takes a bus ride up from Hell and encounters many guides along the way as he learns of true Love and what it really is to feel that Love. For many, the act of letting their own perceptions go is too much to bear, but for a lucky few, Heaven isn't too far away, as the song once stated.

A allegorical piece, written in a kind of reply to Blake's Marriage Between Heaven and Hell, Lewis makes fine use of simple words and sensations, weaving a very real place that makes you want to believe that it's not all just a dream.

I have recommended this book to many people over the years, and read it many times, and I always find something new to take away from it. A short read, but with powerful intent, Lewis plies his trade very well, and reminds me why I return to his writing over and over as an example. ( )
1 vote Ermina | Feb 25, 2016 |
C.S. Lewis is always a favorite of mine so I enjoy most everything I read by him. This story started off well but was sort of boring in some parts and hard to follow. But I still walked away from the story with good points to think about and moments where I evaluated my own beliefs and ideas about the afterlife. Glad this was a short read and I still enjoy Mr. Lewis' writings. ( )
1 vote Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
The choices of life played out into eternity. ( )
1 vote memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
"No, there is no escape. There is no heaven with a little of hell in it--no plan to retain this or that of the devil in our hearts or our pockets. Out Satan must go, every hair and feather."--George MacDonald
Barbara Wall: Best and most long-suffering of scribes
I seemed to be standing in a busy queue by the side of a long, mean street.
When the sun rises here and the twilight turns to blackness down there, the Blessed will say, "We have never lived anywhere except in Heaven," and the Lost, "We were always in Hell."
And both will speak truly.
There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, in the end, "Thy will be done." All that are in Hell, choose it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060652950, Paperback)

The Great Divorce is C.S. Lewis's Divine Comedy: the narrator bears strong resemblance to Lewis (by way of Dante); his Virgil is the fantasy writer George MacDonald; and upon boarding a bus in a nondescript neighborhood, the narrator is taken to Heaven and Hell. The book's primary message is presented with almost oblique tidiness--"There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.'" However, the narrator's descriptions of sin and temptation will hit quite close to home for many readers. Lewis has a genius for describing the intricacies of vanity and self-deception, and this book is tremendously persistent in forcing its reader to consider the ultimate consequences of everyday pettiness. --Michael Joseph Gross

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:51 -0400)

A symbolic fantasy which finds a busload of condemned ghosts faced with the choice of giving up their cherished sins to enter the gates of Paradise.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,243,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible