Het drijvende koninkrijk by Paul Theroux

Het drijvende koninkrijk (original 1983; edition 1991)

by Paul Theroux

Member:Jevers01
Title:Het drijvende koninkrijk
Authors:Paul Theroux
Info:Amsterdam De Arbeiderspers cop. 1991
Collections:Your library, Reisverhalen
Tags:reisverhaal

The Kingdom by the Sea: A Journey Around the Coast of Great Britain by Paul Theroux (1983)

Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson (John_Vaughan)
    Coasting by Jonathan Raban (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: One friend on foot the other sailing, both vividly describing England. An amusing comparision can be made by refering to a meeting of these two friendly rivals - a different version of events and views in each book.
    The Wild Places by Robert Macfarlane (John_Vaughan)
    Walking to Canterbury : A modern journey through Chaucer's medieval England by Jerry Ellis (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: Both visting and touring authors are American, but their individual viewpoints are very distinct.

English (13)  Dutch (3)  All languages (16)
A very unlikey travelouge. Paul Theroux traveled the coast of Britian by train, bus and foot in 1982 during the Falklands Wars, the birth of Prince William, and a rail strike. He didn't sightsee but records the life that he saw. It's fascinating reading, esp. for his insights as an American who has lived a great deal of time in Britian. I will never be able to pronounce any Welsh words....
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
Portions of the Mother Land are fun, others are not. Theroux does a really nice job in dissecting and winnowing out the worm from the apple. Most was fun to read....especially the part about Wales and Cape Wrath. ( )
  untraveller | Jun 12, 2014 |
Reading this book is like taking a slow walk. (I had taken it off of my shelf when "slow reading" was needed....and it worked.) I have read the reviews and checked those that agree with my satisfaction. To sum it up: if you want to go on a slow walk around Britain without leaving home this may possibly be the book for you. ( )
  Esta1923 | Jan 21, 2014 |
Paul Theroux writes about his travels around the coast of Britain. This book is highly regarded but I really didn't feel it.

The book could be summarised quite easily. Theroux gets off a train and looks for a nice place to stay. He is the only guest and the owners tell him it will be busy when the tourist season starts. The room is horrible and the owners unhospitable, he leaves as soon as he possibly can. The town is deserted and the few things that are open are unimpressive. He picks up his bag and walks to the next town, which is pretty much the same as the previous one.

I chose this book because the author seemed like someone that I should read. However I just found the book to be a long winded and repeatative whinge about the lack of hospitality and excitement in the coastal towns. It was written in a particularly humourous way, just a bland unimpressed opinion piece that filled a book. ( )
  alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
I enjoy old travel books and tend to pick them up at local book sales if they look halfway promising . This one is a narrative of Theroux' experiences as he spent three months on a trip he undertook to circumnavigate Great Britain. The books is dated, of course. It was written in the mid-1980's before the channel tunnel was complete and reflects the time in which it was written quite entertainingly. There's nothing quite like looking back on an era you've lived through from a vantage point of 30 years experience to make you see your own generation's absurdity clearly. Sadly, most people would find the book boring at this remove and that's a pity because it's a lovely way to take a peek at a time and place that have gone forever. ( )
1 vote turtlesleap | Sep 15, 2012 |
Mr. Theroux is never less than readable, and many of his observations are disturbingly to the point. One scene, when his railway carriage of polite, self- effacing English folk is invaded by violent, swearing skinheads, will stick in the memory for a long time. It is exactly the sort of thing that happens often and everybody pretends not to notice. His perception of the kingdom of the sea may be a partial one, and in my view jaundiced, but it makes a stimulating book for all that.
added by John_Vaughan | editNY Times, Auberon Waugh (Jul 19, 1983)

Paul Therouxprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keith, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I dedicate this Book to those friends of mine in Britain who, giving me a welcome I must ever gratefully and proudly remember, left my judgment free; and who, loving their country, can bear the truth, when it is told good-humouredly and in a kind spirit. Adapted from Charles Dickens's dedication to American Notes, 1842
Everyone seemed to be going to China that year, or else writing rude things about the Arabs, or being frank about Africa.

Award winning writer Paul Theroux embarks on a journey that, though closer to home than most of his expeditions, uncovers some surprising truths about Britain and the British people in the '80s in "The Kingdom by the Sea: A Journey Around the Coast of Great Britain". Paul Theroux's round-Britain travelogue is funny, perceptive and 'best avoided by patriots with high blood pressure...' After eleven years living as an American in London, Paul Theroux set out to travel clockwise round the coast and find out what Britain and the British are really like. It was 1982, the summer of the Falklands War, the ideal time, he found, to surprise the British into talking about themselves. The result makes superbly vivid and engaging reading. "A sharp and funny descriptive writer. One of his golden talents, perhaps because he is American and therefore classless in British eyes, is the ability to chat up and get on with all sorts and conditions of British...Theroux is a good companion". ("The Times"). "Filled with history, insights, landscape, epiphanies, meditations, celebrations and laments". ("The New York Times"). "Few of us have seen the entirety of the coast and I for one am grateful to Mr Theroux for making my journey unnecessary. He describes it all brilliantly and honestly". (Anthony Burgess, "Observer"). American travel writer Paul Theroux is known for the rich descriptions of people and places that is often streaked with his distinctive sense of irony; his other non-fiction titles, "Riding the Iron Rooster", "The Happy Isles of Oceania", "Sunrise with Seamonsters", "The Tao of Travel", "Ghost Train to the Eastern Star", "The Old Patagonian Express", "The Great Railway Bazaar", "Dark Star Safari", "Fresh-air Fiend", "Sir Vidia's Shadow", "The Pillars of Hercules", and his novels and collections of short stories, including the James Tait Black Memorial Prize winner "The Mosquito Coast" are available from Penguin.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:12 -0400)

Reports on the author's journey along the coasts of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,473,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible