Ape House by Sara Gruen

Ape House (2010)

by Sara Gruen

English (133)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (136)
I had a hard time with the descriptions of abuse, but overall couldn't stop reading....I had to find out how it ended. ( )
  SusanGeiss | Mar 24, 2019 |
An explosion at a center studying language acquisition by bonobo apes sets off an adventure that is both sad and funny, and which manages to blend animal-rights activists, reality TV, tabloid newspapers, Russian strippers, and computer hackers in a highly satisfying read.

I did mark the rating down by one star because of a huge plot hole / disconnect that has to do with the real motivation for the bombing, and seems a rather cumbersome and unlikely method to achieve the bomber's aim. (Sorry to be vague, but it's a major spoiler.) ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Dec 14, 2018 |
This was a GREAT story. My happy tears are still drying. ( )
  LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
What a disappointment! Sara Gruen showed us what she could do in [b:Water for Elephants|43641|Water for Elephants|Sara Gruen|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388183358s/43641.jpg|3441236] but her followup novel, Ape House doesn't live up to her previous show of talent in the least. This novel has a silly plot and even sillier characters. I'm impressed with Gruen's extensive research and work with great apes but unfortunately her knowledge doesn't shine through the novel. The unlikeable and stereotypical characters and the absurd plot overpower the message about animal rights that Gruen is obviously trying to show her reader. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
After having read both Water for Elephants and now Ape House I have got to say that Sara Gruen is quickly moving to the top of my favorite author list. I love the way she narrates her stories. I also love her passion for taking real life events and turning them into fictional masterpieces.

I found myself incredibly emotional while reading this book. The characters are perfectly flawed and the apes are wonderfully humanized to allow the reader to attach to them the same way one would humanize their own pet.

Something about the way Sara Gruen narrates really grabs me. She is able to tell a story so naturally that I forget I'm reading a novel and I feel instead as though she is in the room telling me the story. I get lost in reading her words and when I come back to the surface I feel incredibly satisfied.

Overall it was a great concept, great writing and a great story. ( )
  JamieBH | Apr 3, 2018 |
Gruen's gift for reaching across the species divide is as evident in "Ape House" as it was in her mega-selling "Water for Elephants," which featured Rosie, the Depression-era circus elephant. Not since Jack London explored the boundaries between the domesticated dog and the wolf in "The Call of the Wild" has a writer dramatized the bonds between humans and our fellow creatures with such empathy.

Gruen, Saraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Give orange give me eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you.---Nim Chimpsky, 1970s
gimme gimme more, gimme more, gimme gimme more.--Britney Spears, 2007
For great apes everywhere but especially Panbanisha
The plane had yet to take off, but Osgood, the photographer, was already snoring softly.

Isabel Duncan, a scientist at the Great Ape Language Lab, embarks on an adventure with reporter John Thigpen to rescue a family of bonobos that escaped from her lab and have been cast on a reality television program.

When a family of bonobo apes who know American Sign Language are kidnapped from a language laboratory, their mysterious appearance on a reality TV show propels scientist Isabel Duncan, together with reporter John Thigpen, on a personal mission to rescue them. An entertaining book that calls into question our assumptions about these animals who share 99.4% of our DNA.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,159,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible