The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

The Lovely Bones (original 2002; edition 2004)

by Alice Sebold

Member:ladyhustler
Title:The Lovely Bones
Authors:Alice Sebold
Info:Back Bay Books (2004), Paperback, 352 pages

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (2002)

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (leahsimone)
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (Maiasaura)
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books display the effects on a family of the murder of a child.
    White Oleander by Janet Fitch (leahsimone)
    The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard (WildMaggie)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (Jen7waters)
    The Book of Fred by Abby Bardi (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Not as sentimental as this. A very good coming of age novel.
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (nu-bibliophile)
    Unstolen by Wendy Jean (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold may be paired withUnstolen by Wendy Jean. Both novels deal with death and crime and how it affects the families left behind
    The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Despite differences in plot -- a teenager's post-murder afterlife in The Lovely Bones, and civilization's slow, steady collapse in the aftermath of disaster in The Age of Miracles -- the thoughtful young heroines of these melancholy, haunting stories are similar to one another.… (more)
    Shade: A Novel by Neil Jordan (ShelfMonkey)
    Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (jbarry)
    The September Sisters by Jillian Cantor (meggyweg)
    A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton (TheFlamingoReads)
    TheFlamingoReads: A melancholy story of how people deal with the death of a child.
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (RocknRain)
    La fortuna de Matilda Turpin by Álvaro Pombo (albavirtualy)
    The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue (cataylor)
    Where I Want to Be by Adele Griffin (jbarry)
    jbarry: touching arration from heaven
    La mirada del otro by Fernando G Delgado (albavirtualy)
    Lark by Tracey Porter (kaledrina)

**SPOILER ALERT**

The Lovely Bones is a compelling read, that hits like a ton of bricks. the author makes it very clear from the get go(in the little girl's voice)that the main character is dead, and watching this event unfold from what the reader hopes is heaven. It is the somewhat depressing, highly realistic account of a family trying to find their missing child.Definite trigger warnings for those who have lost children, are parents, or suffer from depression. ( )
  thebacklistbook | Apr 24, 2019 |
Sarebbe potuto essere un bel romanzo perchè l'idea e i presupposti c'erano tutti, ma è rimasto un romanzo mediocre soprattutto nella parte finale.
Susie è una ragazzina sveglia e curiosa che viene trascinata con l'inganno da un uomo nel suo rifugio sotterraneo, stuprata e uccisa.
Dal suo Cielo vedrà la sua famiglia vivere il dramma della sua perdita, vedrà gli investigatori cercare un cadavere che non troveranno mai e vedrà i suoi amici, i fratelli e il suo primo amore crescere, maturare e vivere una vita che a lei non è stata concessa.
La storia in se è carina anche se a me sono piaciute più le parti in cui lei vedeva il suo assassino e cercava di guidare gli altri verso la scoperta della verità.
La parte finale invece mi ha proprio deluso perchè è scaduta nei clichè delle storie di fantasmi o di amori perduti.
Non mi ha commosso e non mi ha fatto sorridere o sono diventata insensibile io o non è il libro giusto per me. ( )
  Feseven78 | Apr 17, 2019 |
The best first forty pages I've ever read. The rest... I'm not so sure. The premise is exciting, the background behind the author's reason for writing this is excellent, but the book itself... I'm not sure. The writing drifts from tight to sloppy. The characters in the book are flat and underwhelming. The book just ends. But why did I keep reading it? Perhaps it was just how *easy* it was to read. It was great to read because it didn't require me to think too hard, and Sebold's style of writing - while I'm not a fan of - was adequate enough to still keep me hooked. I kept reading because I wanted to see where the story went. But the story just happened. There wasn't much to it beyond "dead girl watches family grow up". The story jumps around, sneaking up on the reader, and everyone seems to have a limited pallette of emotions.

OTOH, Sebold's skills in describing things is well-worn. It's visceral and not shy. And that redeems her.

Recommended for... Er. Well... Nobody and everyone. Read it if you want to. But if you don't, then you're not missing nowt. ( )
  yassie_j | Feb 11, 2019 |
La trama del thriller si trasforma in una storia famigliare, a tratti pallosa, con inframezzi di vita in paradiso inutili per l'economia della storia e che non aggiungono nulla. Peccato, perché partiva bene. ( )
  lucaconti | Jan 24, 2019 |
Not read, gave up on this book as could not get into it.
  Carole46 | Jan 11, 2019 |
Sebold's compelling and sometimes poetic prose style and unsparing vision transform Susie's tragedy into an ultimately rewarding novel.
added by bell7 | editLibrary Journal (Aug 25, 2009)

Although some sections tend toward melodrama... other passages are dreamy and lyrical. Most striking is Sebold's mastery of a teenager's voice, from such small details as Susie's Strawberry-Banana Kissing Potion to her completely believable thought processes.

An extraordinary, almost-successful debut that treats sensational material with literary grace, narrated from heaven by the victim of a serial killer and pedophile.
added by bell7 | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 1, 2002)

Don't start "Lovely Bones" unless you can finish it. The book begins with more horror than you could imagine, but closes with more beauty than you could hope for.

Sebold takes an enormous risk in her wonderfully strange début novel: her narrator, Susie Salmon, is dead—murdered at the age of fourteen by a disturbed neighbor—and speaks from the vantage of Heaven. Such is the author's skill that from the first page this premise seems utterly believable... If in the end she reaches too far, the book remains a stunning achievement.
added by Shortride | editThe New Yorker (Jul 15, 2002)

Alice Seboldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Always, Glen
My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie.
Inside the snow globe on my father's desk, there was a penguin wearing a red-and-white-striped scarf.
These were the lovely bones that had grown around my absence: the connections—sometimes tenuous, sometimes made at great cost, but often magnificent—that happened after I was gone. And I began to see things in a way that let me hold the world without me in it. The events my death brought were primarily that the bones of a body that would become whole at some unpredictable time in the future. The price of what I came to see as this miraculous lifeless body had been my life.

The Lovely Bones is a moving exploration of loss and mourning that ultimately puts its faith in the living made even more powerful by a cast of convincing characters.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316168815, Paperback)

On her way home from school on a snowy December day in 1973, 14-year-old Susie Salmon ("like the fish") is lured into a makeshift underground den in a cornfield and brutally raped and murdered, the latest victim of a serial killer--the man she knew as her neighbor, Mr. Harvey.

Alice Sebold's haunting and heartbreaking debut novel, The Lovely Bones, unfolds from heaven, where "life is a perpetual yesterday" and where Susie narrates and keeps watch over her grieving family and friends, as well as her brazen killer and the sad detective working on her case. As Sebold fashions it, everyone has his or her own version of heaven. Susie's resembles the athletic fields and landscape of a suburban high school: a heaven of her "simplest dreams," where "there were no teachers.... We never had to go inside except for art class.... The boys did not pinch our backsides or tell us we smelled; our textbooks were Seventeen and Glamour and Vogue."

The Lovely Bones works as an odd yet affecting coming-of-age story. Susie struggles to accept her death while still clinging to the lost world of the living, following her family's dramas over the years like an episode of My So-Called Afterlife. Her family disintegrates in their grief: her father becomes determined to find her killer, her mother withdraws, her little brother Buckley attempts to make sense of the new hole in his family, and her younger sister Lindsey moves through the milestone events of her teenage and young adult years with Susie riding spiritual shotgun. Random acts and missed opportunities run throughout the book--Susie recalls her sole kiss with a boy on Earth as "like an accident--a beautiful gasoline rainbow." Though sentimental at times, The Lovely Bones is a moving exploration of loss and mourning that ultimately puts its faith in the living and that is made even more powerful by a cast of convincing characters. Sebold orchestrates a big finish, and though things tend to wrap up a little too well for everyone in the end, one can only imagine (or hope) that heaven is indeed a place filled with such happy endings. --Brad Thomas Parsons

Look Inside the Motion Picture The Lovely Bones (Paramount, 2010)
(Click on each image below to see a larger view)

Saoirse Ronan as Susie Salmon
Saoirse Ronan as Susie Salmon
Mark Wahlberg as Jack Salmon
Saoirse Ronan as Susie Salmon and Director Peter Jackson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:43 -0400)

This is the tale of family, memory, love, and living told by 14-year-old Susie Salmon, who is already in heaven. Through the voice of a precocious teenage girl, Susie relates the awful events of her death and builds out of her family's grief a hopeful and joyful story.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,569,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible