The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

The Lovely Bones (original 2002; edition 2006)

by Alice Sebold

Title:The Lovely Bones
Authors:Alice Sebold
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (2002)

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (Maiasaura)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (leahsimone)
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books display the effects on a family of the murder of a child.
    White Oleander by Janet Fitch (leahsimone)
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (RocknRain)
    The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard (WildMaggie)
    The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Despite differences in plot -- a teenager's post-murder afterlife in The Lovely Bones, and civilization's slow, steady collapse in the aftermath of disaster in The Age of Miracles -- the thoughtful young heroines of these melancholy, haunting stories are similar to one another.… (more)
    The Book of Fred by Abby Bardi (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Not as sentimental as this. A very good coming of age novel.
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (Jen7waters)
    Unstolen by Wendy Jean (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold may be paired withUnstolen by Wendy Jean. Both novels deal with death and crime and how it affects the families left behind
    Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Though not as emotionally charged, this deals with independence and death and ghosts.
    Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (jbarry)
    Shade: A Novel by Neil Jordan (ShelfMonkey)
    The September Sisters by Jillian Cantor (meggyweg)
    La mirada del otro by Fernando G Delgado (albavirtualy)
    La fortuna de Matilda Turpin by Álvaro Pombo (albavirtualy)
    The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue (cataylor)
    Where I Want to Be by Adele Griffin (jbarry)
    jbarry: touching arration from heaven
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (nu-bibliophile)
    A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton (TheFlamingoReads)
    TheFlamingoReads: A melancholy story of how people deal with the death of a child.

Loved this book. The voice of the 14 year old narrator was so clear, so lyrical, but told a story of such loss, love and longing that I didn't want the book to end. Reminded me of Alice Hoffman, especially in the parts about teenage love and craziness. The only thing I didn't like was the suddenness of what happens at the end of the novel, like it was tacked on for a quick resolution. I look forward to seeing the movie. ( )
  cjazzlee | Nov 13, 2015 |
thrilling and attention grabbing. it drew me in from the scene in the field till the very end. it left me emotionally hooked to Mr. Salmon and his emotional roller coaster search for his missing daughter. it was written in a way that had me sympathizing with each characters emotion stages throughout the story.
i enjoyed the more mature theme to the book and it left me riveted.
i loved the movie and loved the book even more. the chase left me anticipating what happens next every time. ( )
  ddumaurier | Nov 5, 2015 |
Very haunting (pun unintended) and well done (although I did feel that one scene near the end went a little beyond believability). Despite the disquieting theme of the novel, a very reassuring, life affirming book. ( )
  Denise.Jenne | Sep 29, 2015 |
LMIC Book Club July 07; murdered 14yo watches from heaven as everyone puts their lives back together in different ways after she's gone and the murderer is not caught ( )
  nancynova | Sep 12, 2015 |
Very moving and compelling. From the moment i started reading, i simply couldn't put it down. At first i thought it would be really sad, and kind of depressing, but it's not written that way. I don't want to give too much away about the story, except to say, in the end it was a story about hope and redemption. A must read! ( )
  RomancingAmy | Sep 3, 2015 |
Sebold's compelling and sometimes poetic prose style and unsparing vision transform Susie's tragedy into an ultimately rewarding novel.
added by bell7 | editLibrary Journal (Aug 25, 2009)
Although some sections tend toward melodrama... other passages are dreamy and lyrical. Most striking is Sebold's mastery of a teenager's voice, from such small details as Susie's Strawberry-Banana Kissing Potion to her completely believable thought processes.
An extraordinary, almost-successful debut that treats sensational material with literary grace, narrated from heaven by the victim of a serial killer and pedophile.
added by bell7 | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 1, 2002)
Don't start "Lovely Bones" unless you can finish it. The book begins with more horror than you could imagine, but closes with more beauty than you could hope for.
Sebold takes an enormous risk in her wonderfully strange début novel: her narrator, Susie Salmon, is dead—murdered at the age of fourteen by a disturbed neighbor—and speaks from the vantage of Heaven. Such is the author's skill that from the first page this premise seems utterly believable... If in the end she reaches too far, the book remains a stunning achievement.
added by Shortride | editThe New Yorker (Jul 15, 2002)

Alice Seboldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Always, Glen
My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie.
Inside the snow globe on my father's desk, there was a penguin wearing a red-and-white-striped scarf.
These were the lovely bones that had grown around my absence: the connections—sometimes tenuous, sometimes made at great cost, but often magnificent—that happened after I was gone. And I began to see things in a way that let me hold the world without me in it. The events my death brought were primarily that the bones of a body that would become whole at some unpredictable time in the future. The price of what I came to see as this miraculous lifeless body had been my life.

The Lovely Bones is a moving exploration of loss and mourning that ultimately puts its faith in the living made even more powerful by a cast of convincing characters.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316168815, Paperback)

On her way home from school on a snowy December day in 1973, 14-year-old Susie Salmon ("like the fish") is lured into a makeshift underground den in a cornfield and brutally raped and murdered, the latest victim of a serial killer--the man she knew as her neighbor, Mr. Harvey.

Alice Sebold's haunting and heartbreaking debut novel, The Lovely Bones, unfolds from heaven, where "life is a perpetual yesterday" and where Susie narrates and keeps watch over her grieving family and friends, as well as her brazen killer and the sad detective working on her case. As Sebold fashions it, everyone has his or her own version of heaven. Susie's resembles the athletic fields and landscape of a suburban high school: a heaven of her "simplest dreams," where "there were no teachers.... We never had to go inside except for art class.... The boys did not pinch our backsides or tell us we smelled; our textbooks were Seventeen and Glamour and Vogue."

The Lovely Bones works as an odd yet affecting coming-of-age story. Susie struggles to accept her death while still clinging to the lost world of the living, following her family's dramas over the years like an episode of My So-Called Afterlife. Her family disintegrates in their grief: her father becomes determined to find her killer, her mother withdraws, her little brother Buckley attempts to make sense of the new hole in his family, and her younger sister Lindsey moves through the milestone events of her teenage and young adult years with Susie riding spiritual shotgun. Random acts and missed opportunities run throughout the book--Susie recalls her sole kiss with a boy on Earth as "like an accident--a beautiful gasoline rainbow." Though sentimental at times, The Lovely Bones is a moving exploration of loss and mourning that ultimately puts its faith in the living and that is made even more powerful by a cast of convincing characters. Sebold orchestrates a big finish, and though things tend to wrap up a little too well for everyone in the end, one can only imagine (or hope) that heaven is indeed a place filled with such happy endings. --Brad Thomas Parsons

Look Inside the Motion Picture The Lovely Bones (Paramount, 2010)
(Click on each image below to see a larger view)

Saoirse Ronan as Susie Salmon
Saoirse Ronan as Susie Salmon
Mark Wahlberg as Jack Salmon
Saoirse Ronan as Susie Salmon and Director Peter Jackson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:43 -0400)

This is the tale of family, memory, love, and living told by 14-year-old Susie Salmon, who is already in heaven. Through the voice of a precocious teenage girl, Susie relates the awful events of her death and builds out of her family's grief a hopeful and joyful story.… (more)

3 2032
5 2058

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,858,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible