The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

The Lovely Bones (original 2002; edition 2009)

by Alice Sebold

Member:KindleKapers
Title:The Lovely Bones
Authors:Alice Sebold
Info:Back Bay Books (2009), Edition: 1 Mti Rep, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (2002)

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (Maiasaura)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (leahsimone)
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books display the effects on a family of the murder of a child.
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (RocknRain)
    White Oleander by Janet Fitch (leahsimone)
    Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Though not as emotionally charged, this deals with independence and death and ghosts.
    The Book of Fred by Abby Bardi (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Not as sentimental as this. A very good coming of age novel.
    Unstolen by Wendy Jean (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold may be paired withUnstolen by Wendy Jean. Both novels deal with death and crime and how it affects the families left behind
    The September Sisters by Jillian Cantor (meggyweg)
    Shade: A Novel by Neil Jordan (ShelfMonkey)
    The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard (WildMaggie)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (Jen7waters)
    Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (jbarry)
    La fortuna de Matilda Turpin by Álvaro Pombo (albavirtualy)
    La mirada del otro by Fernando G Delgado (albavirtualy)
    A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton (TheFlamingoReads)
    TheFlamingoReads: A melancholy story of how people deal with the death of a child.
    The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue (cataylor)
    Where I Want to Be by Adele Griffin (jbarry)
    jbarry: touching arration from heaven
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (nu-bibliophile)
    Lark by Tracey Porter (kaledrina)

This was a great book but too disturbing for me. ( )
  DaphneH | Dec 1, 2014 |
OK this book started out interesting (mystery!), and then quickly became terrible. I might have been able to get over the heaven part, but there is just no way, I can get over the [SPOILERS] end where the way she makes peace is by possessing her friend's body to have sex with her boyfriend. WTF! I'm not sure what message this is trying to send ...? that we have to have sex before we die? that our life is only worth something if we've had sex with someone? that we must have sex with someone we like to grow up? I definitely am not a fan of any of those messages. And the using her friend's body to do it was kind of creepy and weird and I don't get why a book about rape would have that as an ending in a positive light?! This part completely surprised me and I nearly threw the book across the room in shock and horror. HOW did the author think this was a good way to end the book!? Why is this book even popular! ( )
  locriian | Oct 27, 2014 |
Eh. It had some decent bits of writing, but that's about it. The plot is utterly ridiculous (particularly how it ended with all the icky consent issues and just plain bananas logic) and so many of the characters are caricatures. For example, Lindsay, the sister, becomes absolutely perfect in the wake of Susie's death, to the point of absolute irritation. The mum shows no personality at all, then runs away, and I don't care at all. Ruth is tuned to the moon. Literally the only tolerable, still-alive character is Susie's dad. Oh, and the dog. I liked the dog.

I don't know, it just seems like the author liked the gimmick more than she was invested in telling the story. Despite how cliche it would be, the story would be much more satisfying if it had ended with the bad guy getting properly caught and everyone living happily ever after and no weird ghost-rape. Then it would just have been an enjoyable, forgettable little mystery, instead of the hot mess it turned into. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

Much more depressing than I was prepared for. I was expecting a thriller and ended up with heavy emotional drama! I great read regardless. Have a box of tissues at the ready! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Dopo 40 pagine di scrittura puerile e pueribonda dell'ultimo libro Ammaniti, un romanzo che prende le parti di una ragazzina senza far rimbambire la scrittrice.
  lauraparigi | Oct 15, 2014 |
Sebold's compelling and sometimes poetic prose style and unsparing vision transform Susie's tragedy into an ultimately rewarding novel.
added by bell7 | editLibrary Journal (Aug 25, 2009)

Although some sections tend toward melodrama... other passages are dreamy and lyrical. Most striking is Sebold's mastery of a teenager's voice, from such small details as Susie's Strawberry-Banana Kissing Potion to her completely believable thought processes.

An extraordinary, almost-successful debut that treats sensational material with literary grace, narrated from heaven by the victim of a serial killer and pedophile.
added by bell7 | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 1, 2002)

Don't start "Lovely Bones" unless you can finish it. The book begins with more horror than you could imagine, but closes with more beauty than you could hope for.

Sebold takes an enormous risk in her wonderfully strange début novel: her narrator, Susie Salmon, is dead—murdered at the age of fourteen by a disturbed neighbor—and speaks from the vantage of Heaven. Such is the author's skill that from the first page this premise seems utterly believable... If in the end she reaches too far, the book remains a stunning achievement.
added by Shortride | editThe New Yorker (Jul 15, 2002)

Alice Seboldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Always, Glen
My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie.
Inside the snow globe on my father's desk, there was a penguin wearing a red-and-white-striped scarf.
These were the lovely bones that had grown around my absence: the connections—sometimes tenuous, sometimes made at great cost, but often magnificent—that happened after I was gone. And I began to see things in a way that let me hold the world without me in it. The events my death brought were primarily that the bones of a body that would become whole at some unpredictable time in the future. The price of what I came to see as this miraculous lifeless body had been my life.

The Lovely Bones is a moving exploration of loss and mourning that ultimately puts its faith in the living made even more powerful by a cast of convincing characters.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316168815, Paperback)

On her way home from school on a snowy December day in 1973, 14-year-old Susie Salmon ("like the fish") is lured into a makeshift underground den in a cornfield and brutally raped and murdered, the latest victim of a serial killer--the man she knew as her neighbor, Mr. Harvey.

Alice Sebold's haunting and heartbreaking debut novel, The Lovely Bones, unfolds from heaven, where "life is a perpetual yesterday" and where Susie narrates and keeps watch over her grieving family and friends, as well as her brazen killer and the sad detective working on her case. As Sebold fashions it, everyone has his or her own version of heaven. Susie's resembles the athletic fields and landscape of a suburban high school: a heaven of her "simplest dreams," where "there were no teachers.... We never had to go inside except for art class.... The boys did not pinch our backsides or tell us we smelled; our textbooks were Seventeen and Glamour and Vogue."

The Lovely Bones works as an odd yet affecting coming-of-age story. Susie struggles to accept her death while still clinging to the lost world of the living, following her family's dramas over the years like an episode of My So-Called Afterlife. Her family disintegrates in their grief: her father becomes determined to find her killer, her mother withdraws, her little brother Buckley attempts to make sense of the new hole in his family, and her younger sister Lindsey moves through the milestone events of her teenage and young adult years with Susie riding spiritual shotgun. Random acts and missed opportunities run throughout the book--Susie recalls her sole kiss with a boy on Earth as "like an accident--a beautiful gasoline rainbow." Though sentimental at times, The Lovely Bones is a moving exploration of loss and mourning that ultimately puts its faith in the living and that is made even more powerful by a cast of convincing characters. Sebold orchestrates a big finish, and though things tend to wrap up a little too well for everyone in the end, one can only imagine (or hope) that heaven is indeed a place filled with such happy endings. --Brad Thomas Parsons

Look Inside the Motion Picture The Lovely Bones (Paramount, 2010)
(Click on each image below to see a larger view)

Saoirse Ronan as Susie Salmon
Saoirse Ronan as Susie Salmon
Mark Wahlberg as Jack Salmon
Saoirse Ronan as Susie Salmon and Director Peter Jackson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:45 -0400)

This is the tale of family, memory, love, and living told by 14-year-old Susie Salmon, who is already in heaven. Through the voice of a precocious teenage girl, Susie relates the awful events of her death and builds out of her family's grief a hopeful and joyful story.… (more)

3 1968
5 1993

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,366,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible