The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

The Lovely Bones (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Alice Sebold

This is the tale of family, memory, love, and living told by 14-year-old Susie Salmon, who is already in heaven. Through the voice of a precocious teenage girl, Susie relates the awful events of her death and builds out of her family's grief a hopeful and joyful story.
Member:hmvh
Title:The Lovely Bones
Authors:Alice Sebold
Info:Picador 2002

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (2002)

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (leahsimone)
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (Maiasaura)
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books display the effects on a family of the murder of a child.
    White Oleander by Janet Fitch (leahsimone)
    The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard (WildMaggie)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (Jen7waters)
    The Book of Fred by Abby Bardi (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Not as sentimental as this. A very good coming of age novel.
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (nu-bibliophile)
    Unstolen by Wendy Jean (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold may be paired withUnstolen by Wendy Jean. Both novels deal with death and crime and how it affects the families left behind
    The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Despite differences in plot -- a teenager's post-murder afterlife in The Lovely Bones, and civilization's slow, steady collapse in the aftermath of disaster in The Age of Miracles -- the thoughtful young heroines of these melancholy, haunting stories are similar to one another.… (more)
    Shade: A Novel by Neil Jordan (ShelfMonkey)
    Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (jbarry)
    The September Sisters by Jillian Cantor (meggyweg)
    A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton (TheFlamingoReads)
    TheFlamingoReads: A melancholy story of how people deal with the death of a child.
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (RocknRain)
    La fortuna de Matilda Turpin by Álvaro Pombo (albavirtualy)
    The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue (cataylor)
    Where I Want to Be by Adele Griffin (jbarry)
    jbarry: touching arration from heaven
    La mirada del otro by Fernando G Delgado (albavirtualy)
    Lark by Tracey Porter (kaledrina)

On and on and on. Just when the story gets a bit interesting, the author goes on and on with some inane description of a past event that may or may not pertain to the upcoming events. Had to stop. So many more books; so little time. ( )
  Pappy159 | Jan 4, 2020 |
The story within this book is immensely hard to read and immensely hard to comprehend for it is written from a perspective of a teenage girl who got brutally murdered by one of her neighbors. The story itself centers on her family who is struggling with a devestating loss and especially her father who is trying to uncover the mystery behind her disappearance and eventually behind her murder, and her murderer who is trying his best to cover his crime. And that's pretty much it. This book however comes highly recommendable for anyone who wants to see a true evil meet its downfall, and especially for those of you who love young-adult genre and wish to shift from it for a few hours of your precious time. ( )
  Champ88 | Dec 25, 2019 |
This was a book I liked.
Different from other books, interesting to read. Around half way though, I got a bit bored. The same thing over & over again, I knew that by then. I decided to keep reading and I'm glad I did.

At the very end Susie mentioned how the living can know the dead are around. Whether it's true or not: that's something people do tell after gaving lost someone. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Dec 22, 2019 |
During our dating days, my husband and I went to the movies almost weekly. On those many trips to the theater, we saw our fair share of chick flicks and films my husband would now deem as "non-negotiable." It's so funny how almost two decades of marriage brings that out in a man. Now, I am forever catching myself saying "I've not seen the movie but I've read the book." The The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold falls into that category. I put the film on my sort list when it first came out, but sadly, like so many other things in a mom's life, I just never got around to seeing it. I recently ran across the book as an audio book on my library's digital website and knew I wanted to give it a try.
The Lovely Bones features Susie Salmon as a teenage girl who is raped and murdered by her neighbor. "Why is this not a spoiler" you ask? Because you find this out in probably the first 30 pages or less. This is not a mystery, much to my surprise. If you liked watching shows like Matlock where you were shown the murderer before the opening credits and spent the remainder of the show watching someone else solve the crime, have at it. I, myself, actually enjoy being mystified and coming to the realization all of my guessing was wrong about five pages from the end of the book. Somehow, her father knows the neighbor is the perpetrator and tries to convince the police.Susie spends her time trying to come to terms with her personal heaven and watching over her family while their world and relationships fall apart.

It's by far not the worst book I've ever read (I'll save that review for a slow week). However, it just wasn't what I wanted it to be. Maybe it was the "non-mystery" irritation right from the start or that I felt annoyed by how her friends and family and their subsequent failures. Just simply put...I was left with a feeling of being let down. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I'd seen the movie before picking up the book, and I think a lot of people will have heard about The Lovely Bones. Susie, after being raped and murdered by her neighbour, keeps looking at her family and friends as they try to continue with their lives.

I quite liked the concept, but found the story was a bit too sentimental. Also, Susie still has some ways to interfere with the 'real' world, which I didn't particularly liked. ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
Sebold's compelling and sometimes poetic prose style and unsparing vision transform Susie's tragedy into an ultimately rewarding novel.
added by bell7 | editLibrary Journal (Aug 25, 2009)

Although some sections tend toward melodrama... other passages are dreamy and lyrical. Most striking is Sebold's mastery of a teenager's voice, from such small details as Susie's Strawberry-Banana Kissing Potion to her completely believable thought processes.

An extraordinary, almost-successful debut that treats sensational material with literary grace, narrated from heaven by the victim of a serial killer and pedophile.
added by bell7 | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 1, 2002)

Don't start "Lovely Bones" unless you can finish it. The book begins with more horror than you could imagine, but closes with more beauty than you could hope for.

Sebold takes an enormous risk in her wonderfully strange début novel: her narrator, Susie Salmon, is dead—murdered at the age of fourteen by a disturbed neighbor—and speaks from the vantage of Heaven. Such is the author's skill that from the first page this premise seems utterly believable... If in the end she reaches too far, the book remains a stunning achievement.
added by Shortride | editThe New Yorker (Jul 15, 2002)

Alice Seboldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Always, Glen
My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie.
Inside the snow globe on my father's desk, there was a penguin wearing a red-and-white-striped scarf.
These were the lovely bones that had grown around my absence: the connections—sometimes tenuous, sometimes made at great cost, but often magnificent—that happened after I was gone. And I began to see things in a way that let me hold the world without me in it. The events my death brought were primarily that the bones of a body that would become whole at some unpredictable time in the future. The price of what I came to see as this miraculous lifeless body had been my life.

The Lovely Bones is a moving exploration of loss and mourning that ultimately puts its faith in the living made even more powerful by a cast of convincing characters.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,654,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible