Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Spirit Walker (2005)

by Michelle Paver

Series: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness (book 2)

When a deadly illness begins to afflict the clans, twelve-year-old Torak, with help from Renn and Wolf, embarks on a journey to find a cure.

English (18)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (21)
[This is a review I wrote in 2007]

**Step back in time and transport yourself to another world!**

It's been a long time since I read book one (Wolf Brother) in the Chronicles of Darkness series, but it soon came flooding back when I started to read Spirit Walker.

Set in Stone Age Scandinavia, in book two Torak's journey continues, and the destiny we are given a glimpse of in Wolf Brother is more fully revealed.

At the opening of the book Torak's faithful companion, wolf, has left his side to live with a wolf pack in the mountains. Torak has been taken in by the Raven clan, living in the forest. However, when a strange and horrible sickness strikes suddenly into the heart of the clan, Torak know that it is he who must try to find some answers...

A wonderfully fast-paced and twisting plot. Expect the unexpected! I can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  ArdizzoneFan | Nov 12, 2020 |
0.94
  johnrid11 | Feb 14, 2016 |
I thought that the breathless trajectory of the plot helped to disguise the paucity of meat here. I didn't think it lived up to the promise of the first book in the series. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Spirit Walker is the second book in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series written by Michelle Paver.

The book didn’t grab me instantly like the first book did. Having said that, however, it did draw me in by the end of the second or third chapter.

We join Torak for another adventure. Naturally, Renn and Wolf joined him (in a fashion), which was great and, in my opinion, expected. We were also introduced to some new characters who played their parts well and convincingly.

It was nice to ‘see’ more of the world too. It is easy to believe, with some book series, that the world is limited and to some degree two dimensional. But the author expands Torak’s world which makes it more believable. And because of this, the contrast to the first book was there; the first book was set in a forest, the second mainly on water and an island.

Another enjoyable instalment. I look forward to reading the next book in the series. ( )
  KarenLeeField | Jan 26, 2013 |
This is another well written book by Michelle Paver. After reading Wolf Brother, the first book in this series, I decided to keep following this series. I discovered that these books not only branch into the forest clans of this imaginary world, but into the sea clans too. I would by no means ever consider these books as childish as I thought them to be again. This newly declared statement of mine came to me early in the book, when a man started eating his own scabs wilst writhing with sickness. I consider this book to be some thing I will introduce to my children, along with the Harry Potter and Hunger Games series. This is an all around great book. ( )
  Phillipe.pper6327 | Jan 12, 2012 |

Michelle Paverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Orcese, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
[None]
The auroch appeared quite suddenly from the trees on the other side of the stream.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,738,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible