The Pride of Chanur by C. J. Cherryh

The Pride of Chanur (1982)

by C. J. Cherryh

1,2032610,074 (3.93)165

English (25)  Italian (1)  All languages (26)
(Review of all four books on Chanur's Homecoming) ( )
  atreic | Jun 1, 2018 |
“The Pride of Chanur” by CJ Cherryh. This is a re-read of the book for me. I enjoyed the story the first time I read it and I keep going back and reading this series again and again. This is excellent Space Opera with the interaction between several different species being quite believable. A Hani space ship at Meetpoint Station has an unknown outsider (named Tully) sneak onto their ship to find refuge from the Kif. While crew are trying to develop a translator tape, Captain Pyanfar Chanur manoeuvres the ship from star to star eventually leading Kif, Mahendo’sat, Knnn, and Human ships to the Hani home world. This takes place in a well thought out multi civilisation society. ( )
1 vote John_T_Stewart | May 26, 2018 |
I've heard a lot about C.J. Cherryh, and was really excited to finally read one of her books. The Pride of Chanur is the first book in the Chanur series, about Pyanfar Chanur, a member of a feline species called the hani. She is a ship captain that commands The Pride of Chanur, a ship owned by the Chanur family.

The Pride of Chanur is docked at Meetpoint Station when they find a stowaway on their ship. He's small, blunt fingered and has no fur, and he calls himself a human. No one has seen the likes of him before, but he's on the run from hostile aliens, so they give him shelter, not realising that this would put their whole world in jeopardy.

This book definitely felt a bit dated, probably because of the cat-like and bear-like aliens. That doesn't stop it from being really fun and really good, though!

The Pride of Chanur is written entirely from Pyanfar's point of view. Tully, the human, isn't really a huge character, he's alien to them and they don't know his language in the beginning. He's more of a catalyst for the story - the discovery of a whole new race. I found this pretty refreshing, I've never read a story with a wholly alien protagonist. I really enjoyed a look at humans through the eyes of other species - we would be quite strange to aliens.

Hani society is interesting too, it's completely female dominated. I enjoyed the little intersection of family trouble into the intragalactic trouble.

The only complaint I have about this book is that there was a bit too much action for me - it almost felt more like a movie than a book. I would've appreciated a bit more plot or backstory or worldbuilding. But then again, it's an old book.

I'm definitely looking forward to Chanur's Venture. ( )
  kgodey | Apr 11, 2017 |
I rather liked this, especially the hani race and how they deal with others. I thought the flow was hampered a bit by some of the space maneuvering and fighting, though. I would have liked more interaction between the different characters. ( )
  zjakkelien | Jan 2, 2017 |
Love this book! Just reread it again and thoroughly enjoyed being back in this universe. ( )
1 vote RyanWriter | Nov 20, 2016 |

C. J. Cherryhprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cherry, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cherry, David A.Mapsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pearlman, DinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan,MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whellan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There had been something loose about the station dock all morning, skulking in amongst the gantries and the ines and the canisters which were waiting to be moved, lurking wherever shadows fell among the rampway accesses of the many ships at dock at Meetpoint.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0886772923, Mass Market Paperback)

No one at Meetpoint Station had ever seen a creature like the Outsider. Naked-hided, blunt toothed and blunt-fingered, Tully was the sole surviving member of his company -- a communicative, spacefaring species hitherto unknown -- and he was a prisoner of his discoverer/ captors the sadistic, treacherous kif, until his escape onto the hani ship The Pride of Chanur.

Little did he know when he threw himself upon the mercy of The Pride and her crew that he put the entire hani species in jeopardy and imperiled the peace of the Compact itself. For the information this fugitive held could be the ruin or glory of any of the species at Meetpoint Station.

Cover art by Michael Whelan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:21 -0400)

A human finds refuge on a spaceship operated by catlike beings. A sequel is Chanur's Venture.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,374,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible