dismiss

The Old Man and The Sea by Ernest Hemingway

The Old Man and The Sea (1952)

by Ernest Hemingway

The Old Man and the Sea is one of Hemingway's most enduring works. Told in language of great simplicity and power, it is the story of an old Cuban fisherman, down on his luck, and his supreme ordeal--a relentless, agonizing battle with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream. Here Hemingway recasts, in strikingly contemporary style, the classic theme of courage in the face of defeat, of personal triumph won from loss. Written in 1952, this hugely successful novella confirmed his power and presence in the literary world and played a large part in his winning the 1954 Nobel Prize for literature.… (more)
1950s (21)

English (347)  Spanish (16)  French (5)  German (4)  Italian (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Arabic (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (387)
La lucha desigual de un hombre, en el ocaso de su vida, contra la naturaleza, llena de peligros y zozobras contra un enorme pez jamas visto, adquiere por momentos connotaciones de heroica epopeya en este relato norteamericano.
  museosanalberto | May 27, 2020 |
I didn't like this book. I wanted more from it. Hemingway continually hinted at something that he could describe or discuss and then didn't. Also, for a classic, I only really found one line that I wanted to quote (which for me is odd. Usually there are dozens):

"I am only better than him through trickery and he meant me no harm."

However, while I didn't like it I didn't hate it either. I am at best indifferent to this book, and I certainly don't need to read it again. I can see that there might have once been merit to studying this in school, though I would argue it is no longer relevant. We don't need to know what a white man thinks a Cuban man's life might have been like when we can read books written by Cubans.

So: is this worth reading? Maybe. It is a classic, and it does represent a literary style. Do I recommend it? Definitely not as required school reading. Maybe if this style interests you, or you've heard about the story and want to read it for yourself. It is short, so if you're reading it because you want to it shouldn't take you very long. But if this book or style doesn't interest you, I'd say don't bother. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
813.52 HEM
  alessandragg | Apr 16, 2020 |
813.52 HEM
  alessandragg | Apr 16, 2020 |
Okay. I'm sorry. I'm a book nerd. I like "literature-y" books. And I've tried so, so hard to like Hemingway. But this was the worst "real" book I have ever read.
One hundred and fifty pages. One hundred and fifty. It's not long at all--unless it's 150 pages of, "He lowered the line. He raised it two inches. He lowered it four inches. He ate a sandwich. There was a fish." NOTHING ACTUALLY HAPPENS.
I get it. So it's all a beautiful metaphor about man's struggle, blah blah blah. I love that stuff. But in order to be a great piece of literature, a book has to have layers. You can't have a metaphor if the simple story isn't engaging at all. This book was a failed experiment. I wish I could give it zero stars. ( )
  Chiara_Quinn | Apr 13, 2020 |
The Old Man and the Sea has almost none of the old Hemingway truculence, the hard-guy sentimentality that sometimes gives even his most devoted admirers twinges of discomfort. As a story, it is clean and straight. Those who admire craftsmanship will be right in calling it a masterpiece... it is a poem of action, praising a brave man, a magnificent fish and the sea, with perhaps a new underlying reverence for the Creator of such wonders.
added by jjlong | editTime (Sep 8, 1952)

It is a tale superbly told and in the telling Ernest Hemingway uses all the craft his hard, disciplined trying over so many years has given him.

Within the sharp restrictions imposed by the very nature of his story Mr. Hemingway has written with sure skill. Here is the master technician once more at the top of his form, doing superbly what he can do better than anyone else.

Ernest Hemingwayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Werumeus Buning, J.W.F.Prefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

To Charlie Scribner and to Max Perkins
He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish.

Leather Bound, Collector's Edition

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dopo ottantaquattro giorni durante i quali non è riuscito a pescare nulla, il vecchio Santiago trova la forza di riprendere il mare: questa nuova battuta di pesca rinnova il suo apprendistato di pescatore e sigilla la sua simbolica iniziazione. Nella disperata caccia a un enorme pesce spada dei Caraibi. nella lotta quasi a mani nude contro gli squali che un pezzo alla volta gli strappano la preda, lasciandogli solo il simbolo della vittoria e della maledizione finalmente sconfitta. Santiago stabilisce, forse per la prima volta, una vera fratellanza con le forze incontenibili della natura. E, soprattutto, trova dentro di sé il segno e la presenza del proprio coraggio, la giustificazione di tutta una vita.
(piopas)
Old man goes fishing
Out for many days and nights
Returns with nothing

(hiddenpunk)

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

4 2022

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,654,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible