Old Man And The Sea (Scribner Classics) by…

Old Man And The Sea (Scribner Classics) (original 1952; edition 1996)

by Ernest Hemingway

Member:Yes.oui.si
Title:Old Man And The Sea (Scribner Classics)
Authors:Ernest Hemingway
Info:Scribner (1996), Hardcover, 96 pages

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (1952)

1950s (21)

English (255)  Spanish (8)  French (4)  Swedish (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (281)
Was required reading for my freshman year of high school, but I'd have to read it again now to remember what I thought of it.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
This book was part of our college syllabus so naturally, we never took this seriously then. It was something evil devised only to create difficult homework. We had to write the character sketch of the fish, for heaven's sake!!!

I re-read this today just because it is such a short read and I have to read as many as 28 books between now and year end, if I am to complete my 100 book challenge for 2015 ;)

This is such an exalted book and has been analysed ad nauseum. The symbolism in books really gets my goat. I do not like the feeling that th writer is hinting at something which I am unable to grasp. While reading, I find myself constantly wondering, "what does it mean? what does it mean?" and I tell you, It is such a nag!

So today I came across a quote by Hemmingway himself which pretty much explains the book.

"There isn't any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The sharks are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is shit. What goes beyond is what you see beyond when you know."

So there!

Read it for a story well told. Yes, there is no denying that the books keeps your curiosity heightened.

And that fish? That is one formidable character, I tell you ;)

_amritasharma_ | Feb 5, 2016 |
His best story ( )
  jimifenway | Feb 2, 2016 |
This was a book assigned as summer reading that I successfully avoided, and I wish I could still say I hadn't read it. Have you ever read a classic story by a revered author and thought, "I'm not completely sure why this is a classic?" That has been every single Hemingway novel/short story I have ever come across and I can now firmly say that I do not care for his writing style or his tales. ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
Men and fish, eh? What's that all about? ( )
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |
The Old Man and the Sea has almost none of the old Hemingway truculence, the hard-guy sentimentality that sometimes gives even his most devoted admirers twinges of discomfort. As a story, it is clean and straight. Those who admire craftsmanship will be right in calling it a masterpiece... it is a poem of action, praising a brave man, a magnificent fish and the sea, with perhaps a new underlying reverence for the Creator of such wonders.
added by jjlong | editTime (Sep 8, 1952)

It is a tale superbly told and in the telling Ernest Hemingway uses all the craft his hard, disciplined trying over so many years has given him.

Within the sharp restrictions imposed by the very nature of his story Mr. Hemingway has written with sure skill. Here is the master technician once more at the top of his form, doing superbly what he can do better than anyone else.

Ernest Hemingwayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Veegens-Latorf, E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werumeus Buning, J.W.F.Prefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is abridged in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

To Charlie Scribner and to Max Perkins
He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish.

Leather Bound, Collector's Edition
Audio Tape
Old man goes fishing
Out for many days and nights
Returns with nothing

(hiddenpunk)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684801221, Paperback)

Here, for a change, is a fish tale that actually does honor to the author. In fact The Old Man and the Sea revived Ernest Hemingway's career, which was foundering under the weight of such postwar stinkers as Across the River and into the Trees. It also led directly to his receipt of the Nobel Prize in 1954 (an award Hemingway gladly accepted, despite his earlier observation that "no son of a bitch that ever won the Nobel Prize ever wrote anything worth reading afterwards"). A half century later, it's still easy to see why. This tale of an aged Cuban fisherman going head-to-head (or hand-to-fin) with a magnificent marlin encapsulates Hemingway's favorite motifs of physical and moral challenge. Yet Santiago is too old and infirm to partake of the gun-toting machismo that disfigured much of the author's later work: "The brown blotches of the benevolent skin cancer the sun brings from its reflection on the tropic sea were on his cheeks. The blotches ran well down the sides of his face and his hands had the deep-creased scars from handling heavy fish on the cords." Hemingway's style, too, reverts to those superb snapshots of perception that won him his initial fame:
Just before it was dark, as they passed a great island of Sargasso weed that heaved and swung in the light sea as though the ocean were making love with something under a yellow blanket, his small line was taken by a dolphin. He saw it first when it jumped in the air, true gold in the last of the sun and bending and flapping wildly in the air.
If a younger Hemingway had written this novella, Santiago most likely would have towed the enormous fish back to port and posed for a triumphal photograph--just as the author delighted in doing, circa 1935. Instead his prize gets devoured by a school of sharks. Returning with little more than a skeleton, he takes to his bed and, in the very last line, cements his identification with his creator: "The old man was dreaming about the lions." Perhaps there's some allegory of art and experience floating around in there somewhere--but The Old Man and the Sea was, in any case, the last great catch of Hemingway's career. --James Marcus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:02 -0400)

Hemingway's triumphant yet tragic story of an old Cuban fisherman and his relentless, agonizing battle with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream combines the simplicity of a fable, the significance of a parable, and the drama of an epic.

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,122,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible