Old Man And The Sea (Scribner Classics) by…

Old Man And The Sea (Scribner Classics) (original 1952; edition 1996)

by Ernest Hemingway

Member:Yes.oui.si
Title:Old Man And The Sea (Scribner Classics)
Authors:Ernest Hemingway
Info:Scribner (1996), Hardcover, 96 pages

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (1952)

English (222)  Spanish (8)  Swedish (3)  French (3)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Japanese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (247)
This was a wonderful quick read and my second Hemingway book I've read. The premise of this book is of course about an old fisherman who catches the big fish he's been trying to get for years and what ensues afterwards.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/76844.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Aug 16, 2014 |
I was recommended this book by a friend as a good book to get out of a reading slump with. Due to the fact I read it in a couple of hours I have to agree with this recommendation. This is a classic book that I never managed to read whilst at school. It is definitely on the list of books that I wish I had read earlier in life.

The writing is beautiful and the prose means you are at sea with the old man throughout. The characters are engaging and make you love everyone of them including the fish in the story. The pictures in this book added for me another dimension that I loved.

This is a classic that I urge you to either read for the first time or re-read. A simply amazing novel. ( )
  samarnold1975 | Jul 26, 2014 |
First off, it took me a little bit to get into this book, as I felt it was fairly underwhelming after 20 minutes or so. It seemed to be much about a man and the fish he was attempting to catch, and it was very much so about that, but it was also about a lot more. The sentence structure was interesting, as this was definitely not a novel (or short story?) that one could say was particularly verbose or one containing that refined of a vocabulary. It was a strange, but good read.

What I got out of it was what it means to give something all of your being, regardless of how much you have to give, be satisfied in that effort. I'd go more into what I thought this novel was supposed to bring out, but I think this quote says it more eloquently than I ever will:
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." - Vince Lombardi ( )
  michplunkett | Jul 14, 2014 |
It seems this is everyone's favorite. Maybe because it is so simple that it works so well. A good story inflated into a book. Undoubtedly, marketing determined its format. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
The Old Man and The Sea An excellent piece of literature, though not in my taste. The author is well skilled and able to create incredible writing. However, I find this story as boring as watching paint dry. Once the old man goes out to sea, you may as well go to bed and not get up until he finally comes to shore. The entire book consists of the old man, a boy who is the best part of the entire book but makes only brief appearances, and lastly we have the big fish who again unfortunately, doesn’t have much to say. ( )
  ReneeRobinson | Apr 29, 2014 |
The Old Man and the Sea has almost none of the old Hemingway truculence, the hard-guy sentimentality that sometimes gives even his most devoted admirers twinges of discomfort. As a story, it is clean and straight. Those who admire craftsmanship will be right in calling it a masterpiece... it is a poem of action, praising a brave man, a magnificent fish and the sea, with perhaps a new underlying reverence for the Creator of such wonders.
added by jjlong | editTime (Sep 8, 1952)

It is a tale superbly told and in the telling Ernest Hemingway uses all the craft his hard, disciplined trying over so many years has given him.

Within the sharp restrictions imposed by the very nature of his story Mr. Hemingway has written with sure skill. Here is the master technician once more at the top of his form, doing superbly what he can do better than anyone else.

Ernest Hemingwayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sickles, NoëlIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veegens-Latorf, E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werumeus Buning, J.W.F.Prefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Four Novels {Farewell to Arms, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Old Man ..., Sun Also Rises} by Ernest Hemingway

ROMANZI by Ernest Hemingway

The Novels Of Ernest Hemingway . by Ernest Hemingway

Five Novels: The Sun Also Rises / A Farewell to Arms / To Have and Have Not / The Old Man and the Sea / For Whom the Bell Tolls (FOLIO SOCIETY) by Ernest Hemingway

The Sun Also Rises / A Farewell to Arms / The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

For Whom the Bell Tolls / The Snows of Kilimanjaro / Fiesta / The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber / Across the River and into the Trees / The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

To Charlie Scribner and to Max Perkins
He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish.

Leather Bound, Collector's Edition
Audio Tape
Old man goes fishing
Out for many days and nights
Returns with nothing

(hiddenpunk)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684801221, Paperback)

Here, for a change, is a fish tale that actually does honor to the author. In fact The Old Man and the Sea revived Ernest Hemingway's career, which was foundering under the weight of such postwar stinkers as Across the River and into the Trees. It also led directly to his receipt of the Nobel Prize in 1954 (an award Hemingway gladly accepted, despite his earlier observation that "no son of a bitch that ever won the Nobel Prize ever wrote anything worth reading afterwards"). A half century later, it's still easy to see why. This tale of an aged Cuban fisherman going head-to-head (or hand-to-fin) with a magnificent marlin encapsulates Hemingway's favorite motifs of physical and moral challenge. Yet Santiago is too old and infirm to partake of the gun-toting machismo that disfigured much of the author's later work: "The brown blotches of the benevolent skin cancer the sun brings from its reflection on the tropic sea were on his cheeks. The blotches ran well down the sides of his face and his hands had the deep-creased scars from handling heavy fish on the cords." Hemingway's style, too, reverts to those superb snapshots of perception that won him his initial fame:
Just before it was dark, as they passed a great island of Sargasso weed that heaved and swung in the light sea as though the ocean were making love with something under a yellow blanket, his small line was taken by a dolphin. He saw it first when it jumped in the air, true gold in the last of the sun and bending and flapping wildly in the air.
If a younger Hemingway had written this novella, Santiago most likely would have towed the enormous fish back to port and posed for a triumphal photograph--just as the author delighted in doing, circa 1935. Instead his prize gets devoured by a school of sharks. Returning with little more than a skeleton, he takes to his bed and, in the very last line, cements his identification with his creator: "The old man was dreaming about the lions." Perhaps there's some allegory of art and experience floating around in there somewhere--but The Old Man and the Sea was, in any case, the last great catch of Hemingway's career. --James Marcus

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:02 -0400)

Hemingway's triumphant yet tragic story of an old Cuban fisherman and his relentless, agonizing battle with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream combines the simplicity of a fable, the significance of a parable, and the drama of an epic.

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,094,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible