The old man and the sea by Ernest Hemingway

The old man and the sea (1952)

by Ernest Hemingway

Member:Graf109
Title:The old man and the sea
Authors:Ernest Hemingway
Info:
Tags:Folio society

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (1952)

1950s (11)

English (260)  Spanish (8)  French (4)  Swedish (3)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (287)
I didn't hate this book but I didn't love it either. Maybe if I had been studying it rather than just reading I would have gotten more out of it. I do like Hemingway as a writer he has the skill of packing a lot in to very few lines. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
This book report is by Ernest Hemingway called, "The Old Man And The Sea." This story mainly takes place far out in the Gulf Stream. At the beginning of the story, the old man is coming back from another unsuccessful fishing day. When he gets to shore, the kid the old man trained asked if he needed any help but the old man didn't want any. The old man didn't want help from the kid because he could do it himself. The old man continues fishing because he is determined to turn his luck around. He continues to have bad luck and gets no fish. His pupil needs to leave him because the kids parents don't believe in the old man. His pupil still believes in him but he must leave because his parents told him to. The next day, the old man goes out to the sea for three days because he doesn't want come back empty handed. The village sends out the Coast Guard because they are scared the old man is lost at sea. The old man finally catches a huge marlin. On the way back to shore, the man finds out the sharks ate all the meat. The pupil takes care of the old man as he rests. The pupil has become a successful fisherman. The pupil tells the old man that they can fish together.

I rated this book four stars because I like nautical stories. I thought this story was very depressing. It is an American classic and it has some redemption qualities at the end. I also liked this story because it was easy to read unlike "Moby Dick". I would recommend this book to people who like nautical themes. It is a easy read and a classic tale of a mans struggles and redemption. I liked how Ernest Hemingway wrote this story. ( )
  JettJ.G1 | Apr 8, 2016 |
Great story, simple style, a good sign for me is when I cry... ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
This is most definitely near the top of my list of worst books every written. As noted in my previous review on the Alex Rider series, I am a person who values action or suspense in their novels. This book was absolutely uninteresting and insipid. I'm not sure what the reason was as to why I picked up this book, seeing how even the title itself is dull. This book gives the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover" a bad name as the book is exactly like the cover; plain and boring. This may be a classic novel written by a classic author, but I do not see the appeal to this book what so ever. I do not recommend this book to anyone as reading it simple wasted my time. ( )
  juliaarden | Apr 1, 2016 |
Short and good. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
The Old Man and the Sea has almost none of the old Hemingway truculence, the hard-guy sentimentality that sometimes gives even his most devoted admirers twinges of discomfort. As a story, it is clean and straight. Those who admire craftsmanship will be right in calling it a masterpiece... it is a poem of action, praising a brave man, a magnificent fish and the sea, with perhaps a new underlying reverence for the Creator of such wonders.
added by jjlong | editTime (Sep 8, 1952)

It is a tale superbly told and in the telling Ernest Hemingway uses all the craft his hard, disciplined trying over so many years has given him.

Within the sharp restrictions imposed by the very nature of his story Mr. Hemingway has written with sure skill. Here is the master technician once more at the top of his form, doing superbly what he can do better than anyone else.

Ernest Hemingwayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Veegens-Latorf, E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werumeus Buning, J.W.F.Prefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is abridged in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

To Charlie Scribner and to Max Perkins
He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish.

Leather Bound, Collector's Edition
Audio Tape
Old man goes fishing
Out for many days and nights
Returns with nothing

(hiddenpunk)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684801221, Paperback)

Here, for a change, is a fish tale that actually does honor to the author. In fact The Old Man and the Sea revived Ernest Hemingway's career, which was foundering under the weight of such postwar stinkers as Across the River and into the Trees. It also led directly to his receipt of the Nobel Prize in 1954 (an award Hemingway gladly accepted, despite his earlier observation that "no son of a bitch that ever won the Nobel Prize ever wrote anything worth reading afterwards"). A half century later, it's still easy to see why. This tale of an aged Cuban fisherman going head-to-head (or hand-to-fin) with a magnificent marlin encapsulates Hemingway's favorite motifs of physical and moral challenge. Yet Santiago is too old and infirm to partake of the gun-toting machismo that disfigured much of the author's later work: "The brown blotches of the benevolent skin cancer the sun brings from its reflection on the tropic sea were on his cheeks. The blotches ran well down the sides of his face and his hands had the deep-creased scars from handling heavy fish on the cords." Hemingway's style, too, reverts to those superb snapshots of perception that won him his initial fame:
Just before it was dark, as they passed a great island of Sargasso weed that heaved and swung in the light sea as though the ocean were making love with something under a yellow blanket, his small line was taken by a dolphin. He saw it first when it jumped in the air, true gold in the last of the sun and bending and flapping wildly in the air.
If a younger Hemingway had written this novella, Santiago most likely would have towed the enormous fish back to port and posed for a triumphal photograph--just as the author delighted in doing, circa 1935. Instead his prize gets devoured by a school of sharks. Returning with little more than a skeleton, he takes to his bed and, in the very last line, cements his identification with his creator: "The old man was dreaming about the lions." Perhaps there's some allegory of art and experience floating around in there somewhere--but The Old Man and the Sea was, in any case, the last great catch of Hemingway's career. --James Marcus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:02 -0400)

Hemingway's triumphant yet tragic story of an old Cuban fisherman and his relentless, agonizing battle with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream combines the simplicity of a fable, the significance of a parable, and the drama of an epic.

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,001,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible