The Princess and the Goblin by George…

The Princess and the Goblin (1872)

by George MacDonald

Series: Princess and the Goblin (1)

The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: There might be more than a hundred years separating these two books, but I kept thinking of The Princess and the Goblin as I was reading The Spindlers. There is a bit of plot similarity with both girls lost in a magical underground world, but there are also similarities in the beauty of the language and in taking abstract concepts like dreams and giving them solid form.… (more)
    The Tree That Sat Down by Beverley Nichols (bookel)
    The Little Lame Prince by Dinah Maria Mulock Craik (infiniteletters)

29% read - 9 chapters. DNF. Long-winded and dull. Great-great-grandmother, Princess Irene's namesake, was the only vaguely interesting thing about this one.

Downloaded from Project Gutenberg. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
A rollicking children's fantasy novel written in 1872, The Princess & The Goblin by George MacDonald is fantastic! I do remember that my parents read me this book when I was a child, but since I could not remember anything else about the story – and was recently amazed by Phantastes – I decided to make this my favorite author read for August. Since it is also extremely short, I finished listening to it over the course of one long walk. The version I listened to I downloaded off of Overdrive, and was excellent, but both free versions on librivox sound very well done as well.

If you couldn't tell already, I really loved this book. Which was an interesting contrast to my recent experience listening to Around The World in 80 days, that while three-star, left a lot to be desired from an adult reader's perspective. Beyond pure personal preference, I think this difference in satisfaction comes down to two key differences. The first one is simple, the glorification of colonialism, which is hard for most adults these days to swallow. The second, somewhat more complicated reason, is that one is a book from the perspective of an adult made appropriate for all ages, and the other is a story for children from the perspective of a child. So while the goblin king and queen's plans weren't quite as complicated as Game of Thrones, who doesn't like to be reminded of how much more exciting and creative the life of a child is?

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys the feel of Spiderwick, Coraline, The Graveyard Book, or The House of Arden. ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Aug 3, 2014 |
I think Ive read this before.. but need to read again!
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
An old, yet completely new-to-me story of a lonely princess, her mysterious grandmother, her (largely) absent father, a young miner boy, and lots and lots and lots of scary goblins. (Turns out---and this isn’t giving anything away---goblins, though quite dangerous and scary, hate rhyme and have very sensitive feet).

I went into this expecting something of a fairy tale, but the story went on and on for an additional hundred pages. Lots of nice surprises, but I wish it had been a bit shorter read. ( )
  debnance | Jun 27, 2014 |
Love George MacDonald - he truly is a master storyteller & writer. We have enjoyed his books thanks to Carole Joy Seid. ( )
  the4otts | Jul 25, 2013 |

Smith, Jessie WillcoxIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Joseph A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, LlewellynIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitcomb, IanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was once a little princess whose father was king over a great country full of mountains and valleys.
Introduction: A story about goblins is bound to be strange.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140367462, Paperback)

As always with George MacDonald, everything here is more than meets the eye: this in fact is MacDonald's grace-filled vision of the world. Said to be one of J.R.R. Tolkien's childhood favorites, The Princess and the Goblin is the story of the young Princess Irene, her good friend Curdie--a minor's son--and Irene's mysterious and beautiful great great grandmother, who lives in a secret room at the top of the castle stairs. Filled with images of dungeons and goblins, mysterious fires, burning roses, and a thread so fine as to be invisible and yet--like prayer--strong enough to lead the Princess back home to her grandmother's arms, this is a story of Curdie's slow realization that sometimes, as the princess tells him, "you must believe without seeing." Simple enough for reading aloud to a child (as I've done myself more than once with my daughter), it's rich enough to repay endless delighted readings for the adult. --Doug Thorpe

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:17 -0400)

Princess Irene discovers a secret stair to the top turret of the castle and the miner's son Curdie overhears a plot by the goblins who live below the mountain. It will take all their wit and courage, and a magic ring, to foil the goblin's schemes.

Seven editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,421,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible