The Princess and the Goblin (Puffin…

The Princess and the Goblin (Puffin Classics) (original 1872; edition 2011)

by George McDonald, Ursula K. Le Guin (Introduction)

Member:rwjerome
Title:The Princess and the Goblin (Puffin Classics)
Authors:George McDonald
Other authors:Ursula K. Le Guin (Introduction)
Info:Puffin (2011), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 234 pages
Collections:Ebooks
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, fantasy, children, magic

The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald (1872)

The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: There might be more than a hundred years separating these two books, but I kept thinking of The Princess and the Goblin as I was reading The Spindlers. There is a bit of plot similarity with both girls lost in a magical underground world, but there are also similarities in the beauty of the language and in taking abstract concepts like dreams and giving them solid form.… (more)
    The Tree That Sat Down by Beverley Nichols (bookel)
    The Little Lame Prince by Dinah Maria Mulock Craik (infiniteletters)

An old, yet completely new-to-me story of a lonely princess, her mysterious grandmother, her (largely) absent father, a young miner boy, and lots and lots and lots of scary goblins. (Turns out---and this isn’t giving anything away---goblins, though quite dangerous and scary, hate rhyme and have very sensitive feet).

I went into this expecting something of a fairy tale, but the story went on and on for an additional hundred pages. Lots of nice surprises, but I wish it had been a bit shorter read. ( )
  debnance | Jun 27, 2014 |
Love George MacDonald - he truly is a master storyteller & writer. We have enjoyed his books thanks to Carole Joy Seid. ( )
  the4otts | Jul 25, 2013 |
For some reason Princess Irene's age surprised me. Like, I know this is a children's book and thus it (logically) stars children, but the cover makes her look about 12-14. She's actually something like 6-8(?) and very much that perfect Victorian "innocent child" ideal that makes me want to throw up.

There's a whole thing about how every little girl can be a princess, though, not just the ones born into it, so it's not AS annoying as it could be. It's actually almost subversive-- Irene's not a perfect kid because she's royalty, she's perfect because she's got the "princess" attitude. Curdie's likewise a prince, despite being born a miner's son. So that's kinda sticking it to the people who think only the nobility can be, well, noble! Which is neat.

Read the rest of my review here! ( )
  herebebooks | Jul 3, 2013 |
Very sweet and charming.
I wish I'd known this book had existed when I was young. It could easily have been one of my favorite books growing up. ( )
  Melanti | Mar 30, 2013 |
This story highlights the values of manners, bravery, honesty, and family love. There are many examples where the characters do what is “right”, no matter what consequences may come, and in the end their virtuosity is rewarded. It reads like a bedtime fairytale being told by a narrator who loves the story and wants us to love it equally. This is one of my favorite book reads, and I would recommend it as a novel for children of any age, because of its beautiful imagery and ideal values. It is a wonderful model of appropriate behavior, and the action of the plot is engaging but never becomes so intense or graphic that it would frighten a young reader. Periodically, there are gorgeous illustrations interspersed with the text to help the reader visualize the characters. This would make a wonderful chapter book read aloud for the classroom, to be read a little each day over the course of days or weeks.
  Collene_Kuznicki | Feb 27, 2013 |

Smith, Jessie WillcoxIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Joseph A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, LlewellynIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitcomb, IanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was once a little princess whose father was king over a great country full of mountains and valleys.
Introduction: A story about goblins is bound to be strange.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140367462, Paperback)

As always with George MacDonald, everything here is more than meets the eye: this in fact is MacDonald's grace-filled vision of the world. Said to be one of J.R.R. Tolkien's childhood favorites, The Princess and the Goblin is the story of the young Princess Irene, her good friend Curdie--a minor's son--and Irene's mysterious and beautiful great great grandmother, who lives in a secret room at the top of the castle stairs. Filled with images of dungeons and goblins, mysterious fires, burning roses, and a thread so fine as to be invisible and yet--like prayer--strong enough to lead the Princess back home to her grandmother's arms, this is a story of Curdie's slow realization that sometimes, as the princess tells him, "you must believe without seeing." Simple enough for reading aloud to a child (as I've done myself more than once with my daughter), it's rich enough to repay endless delighted readings for the adult. --Doug Thorpe

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:17 -0400)

Princess Irene discovers a secret stair to the top turret of the castle and the miner's son Curdie overhears a plot by the goblins who live below the mountain. It will take all their wit and courage, and a magic ring, to foil the goblin's schemes.

Seven editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,490,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible