The Princess and the Goblin (Puffin…

The Princess and the Goblin (Puffin Classics) (original 1872; edition 2011)

by George McDonald, Ursula K. Le Guin (Introduction)

Member:rwjerome
Title:The Princess and the Goblin (Puffin Classics)
Authors:George McDonald
Other authors:Ursula K. Le Guin (Introduction)
Info:Puffin (2011), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 234 pages
Collections:Ebooks
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, fantasy, children, magic

The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald (1872)

The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: There might be more than a hundred years separating these two books, but I kept thinking of The Princess and the Goblin as I was reading The Spindlers. There is a bit of plot similarity with both girls lost in a magical underground world, but there are also similarities in the beauty of the language and in taking abstract concepts like dreams and giving them solid form.… (more)
    At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald (Candie.London)
    The Tree That Sat Down by Beverley Nichols (bookel)
    The Little Lame Prince by Dinah Maria Mulock Craik (infiniteletters)

This is the story of Princess Irene and the Goblin prince. Irene discovers that she has great great grandmother who is kind of magical. Her grandmother helps her avoid getting in trouble and helps protect her. She also meets Curdie when her nanny Looti lets her stay outside for too long and goblins appear. Curdie ends up finding out that the goblins are planning on taking over the castle and marring their goblin prince to princess irene. Curdie helps the castle stop the goblins and with the magic thread that Irene's great great grandmother makes both Curdie and Irene end up being safe.
  Ivary | Jun 8, 2016 |
Anything in me that is brave, honest, kind, and honourable is due in great part to the many times I read this book when I was young. I loved the characters and the adventures, and the settings of both mountain and palace (especially the mysterious dove tower).

I had forgotten other appealing aspects: the humor, and the excitingly challenging vocabulary words. And, perhaps most appealing, is a part of the story seldom mentioned in the descriptions here - Princess Irene's amazing courage. At age eight, *she* rescued Curdie from the cave where the goblins lived and plotted against the sun-people.

A couple of quotes: We are all very anxious to be understood, and it is very hard [frustrating] not to be. But there is one thing much more necessary.... To understand other people."

and, "If a true princess has done wrong, she is always uneasy until she has had an opportunity of throwing the wrongness away from her by saying, 'I did it, and I wish I had not, and I am sorry for having done it.'"

MacDonald made me feel as if I could be a true princess, as he holds much less stock in titles & lineage than in strength of character. And while he's clearly not subtle about sharing his thoughts, he's not annoyingly didactic, either.

" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A delightful classic fantasy for children, published in 1872 and continually in print; I read it on my Kindle.

Irene is a much-loved, over-protected and decidedly independent eight-year-old princess who is surprised to find that she has a great-grandmother who spins in an attic. She does't know, however, that she's in constant danger from the goblins who live underground.

Curdie is an intelligent and motivated miner's son who meets and looks after Irene when she gets lost, and uncovers some dastardly plots by the goblins. A lovely story about heroism and the importance of belief, which would probably appeal to good readers of eight and over, or as a read-aloud slightly for younger children. Some scary moments, and some rather long-winded sections, but an exciting and satisfying story overall. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
A reread of a book from my childhood.
A princess, who is raised by servants and whose father rarely visits, runs into a young miner who is very interested in some unusual goblin activity in the mountains.
A sweet story, very much from the Victorian era. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |

Smith, Joseph A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tatar, MariaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, LlewellynIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitcomb, IanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was once a little princess whose father was king over a great country full of mountains and valleys.
Introduction: A story about goblins is bound to be strange.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140367462, Paperback)

As always with George MacDonald, everything here is more than meets the eye: this in fact is MacDonald's grace-filled vision of the world. Said to be one of J.R.R. Tolkien's childhood favorites, The Princess and the Goblin is the story of the young Princess Irene, her good friend Curdie--a minor's son--and Irene's mysterious and beautiful great great grandmother, who lives in a secret room at the top of the castle stairs. Filled with images of dungeons and goblins, mysterious fires, burning roses, and a thread so fine as to be invisible and yet--like prayer--strong enough to lead the Princess back home to her grandmother's arms, this is a story of Curdie's slow realization that sometimes, as the princess tells him, "you must believe without seeing." Simple enough for reading aloud to a child (as I've done myself more than once with my daughter), it's rich enough to repay endless delighted readings for the adult. --Doug Thorpe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:09 -0400)

Princess Irene discovers a secret stair to the top turret of the castle and the miner's son Curdie overhears a plot by the goblins who live below the mountain. It will take all their wit and courage, and a magic ring, to foil the goblin's schemes.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100844, 140010940X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,583,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible