Twelve Angry Men by Reginald Rose

I love this! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
I love this! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
It’s a hot humid day when twelve jurors are led to a room to decide the fate of a sixteen year old accused of murder. The prosecution has been relentless, the court appointed defense apathetic, and eleven of the jurors are convinced that the boy is guilty. However, Juror number 8 isn’t sure. The judge has warned them that they should only pass a guilty verdict if they are convinced of this boy’s guilt; if there is reasonable doubt they are to say he’s innocent. If they don’t have a unanimous vote, then the jury is hung and the boy will have to stand trial again. One step at a time juror number 8, and later one or two other jurors question each piece of damning evidence to see how much credence should be lent to it.
This is one of the best old movies I have ever seen (the new one wasn’t nearly as well done), and the play is magnificent (if you are accustomed to reading scripts). It’s been a number of years since I’ve seen the movie, but I’m so glad the original writer of the screenplay versions also wrote a stage play version. It’s not only well written, but it gives us keen insight on human nature, which hasn’t changed as much as we’d like to think it has since the first screen play was written in the 1950s. It also shows the American jury system working at its best in that one man refused to let a boy die without at first discussing his life and the case and examining what they have been told for themselves, away from the rhetoric of the courtroom. Moreover, we see other jurors become inspired to think and question what they had originally thought was an open and shut case.
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
A fantastic study that gives me hope about our judicial system. ( )
  trile1000 | Oct 23, 2015 |
I think Twelve Angry Men should be required reading. The play is about twelve jurors who must decide if the boy on trial is guilty of murder. The issues that are discussed are as relevant today as they were in '55. The forward by David Mamet did add to the story. This may have to go on my "book to read annually list". ( )
  mmoj | Aug 16, 2015 |
12 (2007IMDb)

The Penguin Classics debut that inspired a classic film and a current Broadway revival

Reginald Rose's landmark American drama was a critically acclaimed teleplay, and went on to become a cinematic masterpiece in 1957 starring Henry Fonda, for which Rose wrote the adaptation. A blistering character study and an examination of the American melting pot and the judicial system that keeps it in check, Twelve Angry Men holds at its core a deeply patriotic belief in the U.S. legal system. The story's focal point, known only as Juror Eight, is at first the sole holdout in an 11-1 guilty vote. Eight sets his sights not on proving the other jurors wrong but rather on getting them to look at the situation in a clear-eyed way not affected by their personal biases. Rose deliberately and carefully peels away the layers of artifice from the men and allows a fuller picture of America, at its best and worst, to form.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:38 -0400)

"A blistering character study and an examination of the American melting pot and the judicial system that keeps it in check, Twelve Angry Men holds at its core a deeply patriotic belief in the U.S. legal system. The story's focal point, known only as Juror Eight, is at first the sole holdout in an 11-1 guilty vote. Eight sets his sights not on proving the other jurors wrong but rather on getting them to look at the situation in a clear-eyed way not affected by their personal biases. Rose deliberately and carefully peels away the layers of artifice from the men and allows a fuller picture of America, at its best and worst, to form."--Publisher description.… (more)

17 wanted5 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,044,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible