dismiss

The Princess Bride (1973)

by William Goldman

20,053465126 (4.27)3 / 654
A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts.
1970s (6)

English (453)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (460)
In this book, William Goldman ably abridges S. Morgenstern's little known satire The Princess Bride. And speaking of little known authors with initials S.M., Goldman should absolutely abridge Twilight too. I couldn't help but think of Edward Cullen and Bella Thingy when Buttercup uttered that wonderful line to Westley: "I love you. I know this must come as something of a surprise, since all I’ve ever done is scorn you and degrade you and taunt you, but I have loved you for several hours now, and every second, more." ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |
  leezeebee | Jul 6, 2020 |
Another rare example of the movie being better than the book. ( )
  AldusManutius | Jul 5, 2020 |
Fun, captivating and endlessly thrilling, The Princess Bride is a story which, in itself, consists of many tightly-woven strands of plot, glory and vivid, lovable characters. William Goldman has also created a (very convincing) subplot imagining the nostalgic relationship between a child's coming-of-age and an author's legacy. These two stories meshed into one creates the childishly wonderful but also richly valuable essence of this modern fairytale. ( )
  aprils_corner | Jun 27, 2020 |
Just as the movie is humorous and ridiculous, so too is this book. The movie takes much of its dialogue straight from the novel, which made reading it feel very familiar. However, there were a few key differences and results in my mixed feelings about the book. While I really appreciate the character development in the book, especially with Fezzik and Inigo, there was a much more adult tone to the whole story and in some ways it felt like it went too dark. Goldman is frank and brash, which is great, but also paints a disturbing picture of relationships (romantic and parental) and taps into some really dark emotions under the umbrella of heartbreak. Overall it was mostly a fun novel, especially if you're a fan of the movie, but there is certainly a complexity and darkness that was unexpected. ( )
  bookishtexpat | May 21, 2020 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

Goldman, Williamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Minor, WendellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanders, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Simon Morgenstern is both a pseudonym and a narrative device invented by Goldman to add another layer to his novel The Princess Bride

A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts - The Princess Bride is a modern storytelling classic.

As Florin and Guilder teeter on the verge of war, the reluctant Princess Buttercup is devastated by the loss of her true love, kidnapped by a mercenary and his henchmen, rescued by a pirate, forced to marry Prince Humperdinck, and rescued once again by the very crew who absconded with her in the first place. In the course of this dazzling adventure, she'll meet Vizzini - the criminal philosopher who'll do anything for a bag of gold; Fezzik - the gentle giant; Inigo - the Spaniard whose steel thirsts for revenge; and Count Rugen - the evil mastermind behind it all. Foiling all their plans and jumping into their stories is Westley, Princess Buttercup's one true love and a very good friend of a very dangerous pirate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,061,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible