The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic…

The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High… (original 1973; edition 2007)

by William Goldman (Author)

18,153433126 (4.28)3 / 623
Member:BASALibrary
Title:The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure
Authors:William Goldman (Author)
Info:Harcourt (2007), Edition: Reprint, 512 pages
Collections:Teacher Library - Supplies Closet Hallway

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (1973)

1970s (5)
Satire (85)

English (426)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (432)
William Goldman is the author, s. Morgenstern is a fiction. I thought of our 'Buttercup' a reference to the 'Buttercup' of "H. M. S. Pinafore" and Dorinda thought 'buttercup' as a reference to "The Princess Bride."
  brendanus | Oct 12, 2018 |
I'd recommend The Princess Bride to any adult who's in need of rekindling their inner children.

This book is nothing but a swashbuckler and fairy tale mash-up, and a very good one at that. It has just the right amount of epic romance and funny wit -is there anyone left in the world who hasn't quoted at least once the famous line, "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."?- along with a whole array of unforgettable characters, to make for a highly enjoyable read.

Perhaps what I found its weakest point were the continual interruptions made by Goldman's own ficional persona scattered all throughout the book. What started out as a brilliantly funny aside to the main story, it wasn't long before it became tiresome and repetitive.

All in all, I had a lovely time reading it, and it left me with a huge smile spread across my face. ( )
  Marsar | Sep 27, 2018 |
This is still one of my favorite books. It has you read about different charters in the book rather than just focusing on the one main character. This gives the reader a greater understanding of who these support charters are and also just really helps with character development. this book is so hard to put down its page after page of excitement and build up. I will not spoil the ending but I will say the last few chapters are filled with action, revenge, death, strength, and love. I am goin to say that this book is not aout just one of the charters but about the love between westly and princess buttercup and the steps that westly had to go through to be free with his love. the other charters are all inter twined into this story and a few of them have their own reason for crossing paths with westly and why they chose to interact with him later in the story and in fact the charter that at one time tried to kill him may just end up saving not just westly but the princess as well. ( )
  dlabos1 | Sep 12, 2018 |
Growing up The Princess Bride was one of my favorite movies. It still is easily in my top 10 favorites, maybe top 5. Even to this day I'll sometimes say movie quotes in conversation (usually "have fun storming the castle" to someone about to tackle a difficult task.) I remember trying to read the book as a kid and failing miserably to get past the introduction. I was too young to appreciate or understand the satire and ended up returning the book to the library choosing instead to stick with the movie. I really don't know why it took me so long to read this book as an adult.

For anyone who has no idea what this book is about, here it is described in it's own words:

"Has it got any sports in it?"

"Sounds okay," I said...

The framing of the book, a story within a story, is absolutely brilliant and the writing hilarious. The satirical tone reminds me of Pratchett at times. It plays on a lot of common tropes that were less common back when the book was written in 1973. At some point in the middle of the story the tone shifts, many of Morgenstern's asides that I was loving go away and the humor darkens. It's still enjoyable, just be ready.

I read the deluxe hardback version of the 30th Anniversary edition. The book is absolutely gorgeous. It's printed on parchment looking paper and illustrated. It also has an extra addition to the story at the end titled Buttercup's Baby. I'm not sure when this was added to the book but it's fun for fans to see what happens after everyone rides off into the sunset.

In the end I prefer the movie over the book. You can't beat nostalgia. ( )
1 vote Narilka | Sep 1, 2018 |
Well, this was just plain funny. Great storytelling, great pacing, great everything. I caught myself looking up if William Goldman really had a son. He hasn't, thank god.

I probably should go and watch the movie now. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

William Goldmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Minor, WendellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanders, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts - The Princess Bride is a modern storytelling classic.

As Florin and Guilder teeter on the verge of war, the reluctant Princess Buttercup is devastated by the loss of her true love, kidnapped by a mercenary and his henchmen, rescued by a pirate, forced to marry Prince Humperdinck, and rescued once again by the very crew who absconded with her in the first place. In the course of this dazzling adventure, she'll meet Vizzini - the criminal philosopher who'll do anything for a bag of gold; Fezzik - the gentle giant; Inigo - the Spaniard whose steel thirsts for revenge; and Count Rugen - the evil mastermind behind it all. Foiling all their plans and jumping into their stories is Westley, Princess Buttercup's one true love and a very good friend of a very dangerous pirate.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345348036, Mass Market Paperback)

The Princess Bride is a true fantasy classic. William Goldman describes it as a "good parts version" of "S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure." Morgenstern's original was filled with details of Florinese history, court etiquette, and Mrs. Morgenstern's mostly complimentary views of the text. Much admired by academics, the "Classic Tale" nonetheless obscured what Mr. Goldman feels is a story that has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

Goldman frames the fairy tale with an "autobiographical" story: his father, who came from Florin, abridged the book as he read it to his son. Now, Goldman is publishing an abridged version, interspersed with comments on the parts he cut out.

Is The Princess Bride a critique of classics like Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers, that smother a ripping yarn under elaborate prose? A wry look at the differences between fairy tales and real life? Simply a funny, frenetic adventure? No matter how you read it, you'll put it on your "keeper" shelf. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:01 -0400)

A writers views on life and art are revealed in his effort to edit the children's classic that shaped his literary ambitions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,616,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible