The Princess Bride by William Goldman

The Princess Bride (original 1973; edition 1984)

by William Goldman

15,126342125 (4.28)2 / 536
Title:The Princess Bride
Authors:William Goldman
Info:Del Rey (1984), Mass Market Paperback

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (1973)

1970s (10)

English (334)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (340)
The story is interesting, the villains are not bad either, Inigo Montoya and Fizzik are awesome and they get 5 stars, Westley is great. However, Buttercup is none of those things! She gets 0 points. The last twenty percent of the book was not enough to redeem her in my eyes. I reluctantly admit I might be too harsh since she is probably there to cause such reaction after all.

And here's an even shorter version of the book (spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di3rfm5oKwo ( )
  Irena. | Nov 3, 2015 |
I've watched the movie version of The Princess Bride countless times throughout my life, never knowing it was based on a book until about five years ago. Gasp, right?! So I had a lot of fun reading this story, especially the (albeit "abridged") backstories of Fezzik and Inigo. Though I have to say, the book's Buttercup teetered on the line of being almost too ditzy, for my tastes. But I'm happy to have finally read this "classic," and I look forward to watching the movie and reading the book many more times in the future.

4 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Oct 30, 2015 |
An old read practically memorized. Wonderful humor and sendup of some fantasy tropes that still manages to tell a delightfuly fairytale with all the aspects of the genre you would want. Excellent writing and characters that resonate decades later (at which point the movie has also become an all time favorite for me).

I do remember having trouble starting because the POVs and time changes were confusing until I figured out what was going on (one POV contemporary with grandfather telling the story and the other the story POV). ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
Z loved it . . .the story structure kind of blew his mind. HATED Buttercup's Baby and didn't finish it. ( )
  beckydj | Sep 8, 2015 |
Reading this book was like taking medicine. Not fun. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

William Goldmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, NormanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manomivibul, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer that death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Beautiful, flaxen-haired Buttercup has fallen for Westley, the farm boy, and when he departs to make his fortune, she vows never to love another. So when she hears that his ship has been captured by the Dread Pirate Roberts - who never leaves survivors - her heart is broken. But her charms draw the attention of the relentless Prince Humperdinck who wants a wife and will go to any lengths to have Buttercup. So starts a fairytale like no other, of fencing, fighting, torture, poison, true love, hate, revenge, giants, hunters, bad men, good men, beautifulest ladies, snakes, spiders, beasts, chases, escapes, lies, truths, passion and miracles.
Fractured fairy tale
"Life's not fair" is the point, but
True love never dies.

A farm boy pirate
saves his damsel in distress
and fights for true love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345348036, Mass Market Paperback)

The Princess Bride is a true fantasy classic. William Goldman describes it as a "good parts version" of "S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure." Morgenstern's original was filled with details of Florinese history, court etiquette, and Mrs. Morgenstern's mostly complimentary views of the text. Much admired by academics, the "Classic Tale" nonetheless obscured what Mr. Goldman feels is a story that has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

Goldman frames the fairy tale with an "autobiographical" story: his father, who came from Florin, abridged the book as he read it to his son. Now, Goldman is publishing an abridged version, interspersed with comments on the parts he cut out.

Is The Princess Bride a critique of classics like Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers, that smother a ripping yarn under elaborate prose? A wry look at the differences between fairy tales and real life? Simply a funny, frenetic adventure? No matter how you read it, you'll put it on your "keeper" shelf. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:01 -0400)

A writers views on life and art are revealed in his effort to edit the children's classic that shaped his literary ambitions.

5 2097

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible