The Princess Bride by William Goldman

The Princess Bride (original 1973; edition 1984)

by William Goldman

14,597331137 (4.28)1 / 516
Member:LorenIpsum
Title:The Princess Bride
Authors:William Goldman
Info:Del Rey (1984), Mass Market Paperback
Rating:**1/2

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (1973)

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (norabelle414, ChiennePhantome)
    norabelle414: Both are hilarious, imaginative fairy tales.
    Bridge of Birds: A Novel of Ancient China That Never Was by Barry Hughart (fugitive)
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (morryb)
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (norabelle414)
    Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (Pixelinchen)
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (Suzzett)
    Zorro by Isabel Allende (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both full of romance and adventure, and both fantastically written. Who doesn't love a daring swashbuckler?
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (morryb)
    The Rover by Mel Odom (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both are fun fantasy adventures that leave you wanting more!
    A Barrel of Laughs, A Vale of Tears by Jules Feiffer (suzanney)
1970s (11)

English (325)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (330)
I love this book. If you're a fan of the movie do yourself a favor and read the book! Like so very many people I saw the movie first and loved that, but there is something really awesome about reading the book (then maybe watching the movie again). ( )
  etborg | Mar 21, 2015 |
I saw the movie many times when I was much younger and it remains a favorite. I avoided seeking this out in book form because I was afraid it could be so much better it would take away from my enjoyment of one of my favorite movies. After all, usually the books are better than the movies, a truth so universally acknowledged it has practically become cliche.

The author of the book also wrote the screen play and he includes some of his background on bringing his story to life on the big screen. Well, he does but his background is... well I don't want to spoil anything actually. Suffice to say, there is dialog in the film that comes right out of the book and I was not disappointed in the book. It contained more than the film but it had the same bones, heart, and humor. The extra was just a little gravy rather than making you feel you had been cheated out of lots of great story when finally reading the book.

The Folio Edition is really lovely on green boards with black and gold gilt letters and picture of Wesley with Buttercup in his arms. While I love that Folio frequently gets new art work to go in their printings of classic books I felt a few times that the poses of some of the characters pictured was oddly stiff. Printed in Italy on high quality paper. This edition includes the author's 25th and 30th anniversary edition prefaces. ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
A farm boy. A beautiful girl. And a prince who will soon be king. The elements that make a true love story with some adventure. Buttercup is the most beautiful girl in all the land, and the prince is the handsomest man - so he must marry Buttercup, or else he will kill her. So what choice does she have? Even though she realizes she really does love her farm boy Westley (after becoming jealous that other girls notice how handsome he is), she decides to marry Prince Humperdinck because she will be rich, and who needs love, anyway? And all the while, Westley has been training to be the best swordsman and is on the way to rescue Buttercup from a marriage that would not end well. When Westley finally does rescue Buttercup, and fights through the Fire Swamp, she gives up his love to go with the Prince (this was after marriages for wealth and power). But Westley does not stop. He will have Buttercup. I had seen the movie of this book and liked it, but the book is even better. At first I was a little annoyed by the parentheses and had a hard time getting into the story, but after the first couple chapters, I was hooked. There are many elements that make this book great, but one is that Goldman created an abridged version from a book that doesn't exist. The Princess Bride is supposed to be the "good parts" version of a book by S. Morgenstern, which are the parts Goldman was told by his father when he was younger. And then you have the "autobiographical" parts about Goldman and his wife, which may or may not be true. And the commentary on women and society in general. What a brilliant book. When I was asked what genre I would put this book in, I said satire, adventure, love story. Because it is all those. So glad I finally read it. ( )
  litgirl29 | Mar 16, 2015 |
Book of the film! ( )
  LindaLiu | Feb 22, 2015 |
In this book, William Goldman tells us that he is abridging the tale of The Princess Bride, originally written by S. Morgenstern. The original tale of love and adventure is then abridged (with comments added in by Goldman).

I really enjoyed this, in particular the tale of The Princess Bride. The comments/interjections, though, I thought were amusing, as well. And there is plenty of humour in the story.

The intro and the other "extras" (including a final “chapter” that is the start of an abridgement of the sequel, Buttercup's Baby) by Goldman are made to sound true, but I kept questioning it. I kept getting a bit confused and had to finally look it up on wikipedia! The interjections he adds into the "abridgement" reminded me of the grandpa reading to a little Fred Savage in the movie, as well. However, it didn't take away from my enjoyment of it, overall. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 11, 2015 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

William Goldmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, NormanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manomivibul, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer that death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Beautiful, flaxen-haired Buttercup has fallen for Westley, the farm boy, and when he departs to make his fortune, she vows never to love another. So when she hears that his ship has been captured by the Dread Pirate Roberts - who never leaves survivors - her heart is broken. But her charms draw the attention of the relentless Prince Humperdinck who wants a wife and will go to any lengths to have Buttercup. So starts a fairytale like no other, of fencing, fighting, torture, poison, true love, hate, revenge, giants, hunters, bad men, good men, beautifulest ladies, snakes, spiders, beasts, chases, escapes, lies, truths, passion and miracles.
Fractured fairy tale
"Life's not fair" is the point, but
True love never dies

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345348036, Mass Market Paperback)

The Princess Bride is a true fantasy classic. William Goldman describes it as a "good parts version" of "S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure." Morgenstern's original was filled with details of Florinese history, court etiquette, and Mrs. Morgenstern's mostly complimentary views of the text. Much admired by academics, the "Classic Tale" nonetheless obscured what Mr. Goldman feels is a story that has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

Goldman frames the fairy tale with an "autobiographical" story: his father, who came from Florin, abridged the book as he read it to his son. Now, Goldman is publishing an abridged version, interspersed with comments on the parts he cut out.

Is The Princess Bride a critique of classics like Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers, that smother a ripping yarn under elaborate prose? A wry look at the differences between fairy tales and real life? Simply a funny, frenetic adventure? No matter how you read it, you'll put it on your "keeper" shelf. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:46 -0400)

A writers views on life and art are revealed in his effort to edit the children's classic that shaped his literary ambitions.

5 2020

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,252,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible