The Princess Bride by William Goldman

The Princess Bride (original 1973; edition 1984)

by William Goldman

15,901375111 (4.28)2 / 569
Member:LorenIpsum
Title:The Princess Bride
Authors:William Goldman
Info:Del Rey (1984), Mass Market Paperback
Rating:**1/2

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (1973)

1970s (16)

English (369)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (375)
Bigger-than-life characters and high adventures abound in this rollicking good read!I thoroughly enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek repartee between the characters - predictable as it was at times. Perhaps the best part for me was the 'abridgement notes' inserted by Goldman. At turns funny, insightful, sarcastic, and moving, they served to not only enhance the meta-story but also added a dimension all their own. ( )
  ScoLgo | Jun 15, 2016 |
I loved this as a child, and one of things I love best, then and now, is the conceit of all the layers, Goldman's claim that Morgenstern was real, that M. wrote a socio-political satire that needed to be trimmed to the story G's father read to child Goldman....

I liked that this time I read it, as an adult, I realized that G himself was the satirist, and that one of the things he was digging at was fantasy stories with iconographic heroes and villains (note that the richer characters are the side-kicks, Fezzik and Inigo). Another was people like himself, Jewish people with aspirations to make it big in both NYC with publishers like HBJ and in Hollywood with screenplays and starlets.

After all, imagine reading just the story itself, cold. I don't think I'm the only one who would despair over what the heck the delusion that Buttercup and Westley claim is true love actually is. I mean, the way B. bossed the Farm Boy around, and the way W. didn't reveal himself to B. after killing Vizzini until it was almost too late, and the way the only thing B. has going for her is beauty, the way they bicker, the way B. did abandon W....

Don't get me wrong; I still enjoyed the 'high adventure' even though it was so implausible. But it's def. camp & satire. If you don't believe me, get a copy of the 30th anniversary edition and read the extra 'layers' (another long & fantastical intro, an intro to 'Buttercup's Baby' with a lot of backstory about Stephen King's involvement, the first section of BB, an interview with the characters, another autobiographical note, and reader's circle questions).

ETA: I just remembered that I meant to say that the gimmick of using an adult to relay a children's story must have been in fashion some time ago. Or maybe I just had a knack for finding those books. At least two others of my favorites, [b:Mister God, This Is Anna|50807|Mister God, This Is Anna|Fynn|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170371785s/50807.jpg|49605] and [b:The Little Prince|157993|The Little Prince|Antoine de Saint-Exupéry|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1233949421s/157993.jpg|2180358] do this too. They all seem to be philosophical commentaries. Do you know of any other examples?? ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I really liked this book, but I skipped the very beginning and the very end. I found William Goldman's asides during the story to be very entertaining, but I found the beginning where he explains how the book came to be dull and self-indulgent. I wanted to read a fairytale and didn't really care about his contacts in the film industry or his failed marriage. This meant that I skipped Buttercup's Baby and Fezzik's death and I couldn't be bothered to wade through his commentary to find the story. Had this been his autobiography, I would have found the stuff interesting, but I just wanted to read the story.

The story was fantastic, though. ( )
  BuffyBarber | Jun 5, 2016 |
This book had one of the best movie adaptations I have ever seen. I have seen the movie so many times, I could see the scenes in the book being played by the actors in the movie version, even the ones not in the movie. Love it! ( )
  butterfly58 | Jun 4, 2016 |
Reread - June 2014 ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

William Goldmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, NormanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manomivibul, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer that death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts - The Princess Bride is a modern storytelling classic.

As Florin and Guilder teeter on the verge of war, the reluctant Princess Buttercup is devastated by the loss of her true love, kidnapped by a mercenary and his henchmen, rescued by a pirate, forced to marry Prince Humperdinck, and rescued once again by the very crew who absconded with her in the first place. In the course of this dazzling adventure, she'll meet Vizzini - the criminal philosopher who'll do anything for a bag of gold; Fezzik - the gentle giant; Inigo - the Spaniard whose steel thirsts for revenge; and Count Rugen - the evil mastermind behind it all. Foiling all their plans and jumping into their stories is Westley, Princess Buttercup's one true love and a very good friend of a very dangerous pirate.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345348036, Mass Market Paperback)

The Princess Bride is a true fantasy classic. William Goldman describes it as a "good parts version" of "S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure." Morgenstern's original was filled with details of Florinese history, court etiquette, and Mrs. Morgenstern's mostly complimentary views of the text. Much admired by academics, the "Classic Tale" nonetheless obscured what Mr. Goldman feels is a story that has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

Goldman frames the fairy tale with an "autobiographical" story: his father, who came from Florin, abridged the book as he read it to his son. Now, Goldman is publishing an abridged version, interspersed with comments on the parts he cut out.

Is The Princess Bride a critique of classics like Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers, that smother a ripping yarn under elaborate prose? A wry look at the differences between fairy tales and real life? Simply a funny, frenetic adventure? No matter how you read it, you'll put it on your "keeper" shelf. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:01 -0400)

A writers views on life and art are revealed in his effort to edit the children's classic that shaped his literary ambitions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,903,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible