The Princess Bride by William Goldman

The Princess Bride (original 1973; edition 1984)

by William Goldman

14,039308147 (4.29)1 / 474
Member:LorenIpsum
Title:The Princess Bride
Authors:William Goldman
Info:Del Rey (1984), Mass Market Paperback
Rating:**1/2

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (1973)

20th century (62) adventure (507) American (65) classic (136) classics (88) comedy (99) fairy tale (156) fairy tales (223) fantasy (2,371) favorite (68) favorites (58) fiction (1,719) humor (785) literature (62) love (92) made into movie (93) movie (118) novel (189) own (124) paperback (69) pirates (163) princess (100) read (301) romance (415) satire (168) sff (99) to-read (277) true love (91) unread (62) young adult (80)
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman (norabelle414, ChiennePhantome)
    norabelle414: Both are hilarious, imaginative fairy tales.
    Bridge of Birds: A Novel of Ancient China That Never Was by Barry Hughart (fugitive)
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (norabelle414)
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (morryb)
    Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (Pixelinchen)
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (Suzzett)
    Zorro by Isabel Allende (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both full of romance and adventure, and both fantastically written. Who doesn't love a daring swashbuckler?
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (morryb)
    The Rover by Mel Odom (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both are fun fantasy adventures that leave you wanting more!
    A Barrel of Laughs, A Vale of Tears by Jules Feiffer (suzanney)

English (303)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (308)
Amazingly written. I loved the format of a story within a story. The humor is sharp and intelligent.
LOVE the book at least as much as the movie.
  Mariesreads | Jul 18, 2014 |
As much as I enjoyed this book, the movie was better. I did appreciate knowing the back story on the characters, but the more I read, the more I found that Goldman's pseudo-biography got in the way of the action. The ending was just plain weird, which is why I couldn't rate this book 5-stars. ( )
  Maggie.Anton | Jul 18, 2014 |
Man, what a great book! I bought it because it came in a collection with the movie. I've loved the movie since I was a kid, and I knew that if the book was like the movie, it'd be amazing.

Goldman does an excellent job of playing with the reader...it's really clever.

I loved it, possibly because as I was reading, I was visualizing the amazing cast from the movie. Oh, excellent book...! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Goldman does an excellent job of playing with the reader...it's really clever.

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Read during Fall 2001

I wanted to like this alot more but the structure of the Morgenstern novel abridged by Goldman started to get too forced for me. The adventure was great but I just found I was seeing the movie and the parts that weren't the movie, well, I didn't see those as well. The whole Buttercup's Baby really left me cold. Wish I had liked this more.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

William Goldmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, NormanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manomivibul, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer that death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Beautiful, flaxen-haired Buttercup has fallen for Westley, the farm boy, and when he departs to make his fortune, she vows never to love another. So when she hears that his ship has been captured by the Dread Pirate Roberts - who never leaves survivors - her heart is broken. But her charms draw the attention of the relentless Prince Humperdinck who wants a wife and will go to any lengths to have Buttercup. So starts a fairytale like no other, of fencing, fighting, torture, poison, true love, hate, revenge, giants, hunters, bad men, good men, beautifulest ladies, snakes, spiders, beasts, chases, escapes, lies, truths, passion and miracles.
Fractured fairy tale
"Life's not fair" is the point, but
True love never dies

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345348036, Mass Market Paperback)

The Princess Bride is a true fantasy classic. William Goldman describes it as a "good parts version" of "S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure." Morgenstern's original was filled with details of Florinese history, court etiquette, and Mrs. Morgenstern's mostly complimentary views of the text. Much admired by academics, the "Classic Tale" nonetheless obscured what Mr. Goldman feels is a story that has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

Goldman frames the fairy tale with an "autobiographical" story: his father, who came from Florin, abridged the book as he read it to his son. Now, Goldman is publishing an abridged version, interspersed with comments on the parts he cut out.

Is The Princess Bride a critique of classics like Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers, that smother a ripping yarn under elaborate prose? A wry look at the differences between fairy tales and real life? Simply a funny, frenetic adventure? No matter how you read it, you'll put it on your "keeper" shelf. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:46 -0400)

Presents the timeless love story between a farm boy named Westley and the beautiful Princess Buttercup, along with the author's comments on life and art as he attempts to edit the children's classic.

5 1930

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible