The Princess Bride by William Goldman

The Princess Bride (original 1973; edition 1984)

by William Goldman

16,172385110 (4.28)3 / 581
Title:The Princess Bride
Authors:William Goldman
Info:Del Rey (1984), Mass Market Paperback

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (1973)

Recently added bynsenger, eden1013, private library, TeaBooksArt, Jonayla, noravon, LitaVore, ceciliachard
1970s (7)

English (376)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (382)
I just finished rereading this, and although I love the story, I'm still a bit put off by the added layer about it being an abridgement of an original novel by S. Morgenstern (who isn't real), from the European nation of Florin (also not real), and all the bit about how the story was originally read to him by is father (who may have been real in that I'm fairly sure Goldman had one), and that he just HAD to get a copy for his son (who I very much doubt is real. If he is, he stopped talking to his dad after this, I suspect). Goldman plays it all very straight, and it adds an interesting level. It's a clever idea, and I think it's meant to provide some satire about the publishing industry and, perhaps other things. Some of the resulting author intrusion into the story is fun, but, overall, I can't help thinking the book would have been better as a straightforward, lighthearted-romantic-fantasy-adventure. But what a great story it is. Still one of my favorites. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
A friend of mine kept telling me that I should read this. I finally gave in and decided to give it a try if for no other reason than to get her to stop telling me to read it. LOL

I listened to the audiobook, but when I began, I was already in the frame of mind that I didn't really want to read it. A book is pretty much doomed when you start reading it with a preset opinion.

I get why this book is so appealing and perhaps if I had read it with a different attitude, I would have gotten more enjoyment out of it and rated it much higher. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
I know many people may have seen the well-done film version of the novel. I still believe that the book is more exciting and funnier. I liked the authorial intrusions and high adventure of this page-turner! I read the book before the movie came out as a pre-teen, and I guarantee that the hair-breadth escapes, duels, and dark humor is as thrilling as the movie. The author speaks directly to the reader, unlike the grandfather's retelling to his grandson in the movie. It will always be a favorite book for me, because every chapter lures you to read on.

-Breton W Kaiser Taylor ( )
  Breton07 | Sep 28, 2016 |
Thiiis book.

This is a cult classic. Most people haven't necessarily read the book but they have seen the film. I /adore/ the film, I've seen it over and over, and generally I watch it if I'm not feeling very well. I know that the film has had a similar effect on a lot of people so when I found out it was a book, I freaked out. (In a good way.)

I really enjoyed the writing style overall, I found Goldman quite witty and cheeky and subtle. I thought the characters were a little bit different - and it was interesting for me to compare how the actors portrayed them in the film to how they were written in the book.

Some parts I absolutely consumed, other parts were a little bit slow. ... and I didn't agree with the ending. :|

... dare I say I prefer the film? Yeah, I do. Goldman wrote the screenplay, so the movie didn't have a different writer.

But it's still 4 stars for me. c: ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
I read this book during high school and absolutely loved it. I read it after I saw the movie... and was pleasantly surprised to learn the background of how this fantastically funny story came to be... The author is hilarious ... can't wait to read this one again. ( )
  mleivers | Aug 29, 2016 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

William Goldmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Minor, WendellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanders, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer that death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts - The Princess Bride is a modern storytelling classic.

As Florin and Guilder teeter on the verge of war, the reluctant Princess Buttercup is devastated by the loss of her true love, kidnapped by a mercenary and his henchmen, rescued by a pirate, forced to marry Prince Humperdinck, and rescued once again by the very crew who absconded with her in the first place. In the course of this dazzling adventure, she'll meet Vizzini - the criminal philosopher who'll do anything for a bag of gold; Fezzik - the gentle giant; Inigo - the Spaniard whose steel thirsts for revenge; and Count Rugen - the evil mastermind behind it all. Foiling all their plans and jumping into their stories is Westley, Princess Buttercup's one true love and a very good friend of a very dangerous pirate.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345348036, Mass Market Paperback)

The Princess Bride is a true fantasy classic. William Goldman describes it as a "good parts version" of "S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure." Morgenstern's original was filled with details of Florinese history, court etiquette, and Mrs. Morgenstern's mostly complimentary views of the text. Much admired by academics, the "Classic Tale" nonetheless obscured what Mr. Goldman feels is a story that has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

Goldman frames the fairy tale with an "autobiographical" story: his father, who came from Florin, abridged the book as he read it to his son. Now, Goldman is publishing an abridged version, interspersed with comments on the parts he cut out.

Is The Princess Bride a critique of classics like Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers, that smother a ripping yarn under elaborate prose? A wry look at the differences between fairy tales and real life? Simply a funny, frenetic adventure? No matter how you read it, you'll put it on your "keeper" shelf. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:01 -0400)

A writers views on life and art are revealed in his effort to edit the children's classic that shaped his literary ambitions.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,723,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible