La principessa sposa by William Goldman

La principessa sposa (original 1973; edition 2006)

by William Goldman

15,719372113 (4.28)2 / 559
Member:gianoulinetti
Title:La principessa sposa
Authors:William Goldman
Info:
Tags:Letteratura USA

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (1973)

1970s (8)

English (365)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (371)
The Princess Bride has always been a favorite movie of mine, so I was worried about the book version not matching up to my movie opinions...or worse, that it would be so much better the movie would now cease to thrill me. I'm happy to say that was not the case. While the beginning pages of the book were a bit of a struggle to get through, once the real story begins, I found it hard to put the book down. I did note the differences between book and movie (such as the father reading the sick child the book instead of the grandfather) but I also noticed that many of the lines from the movie were direct quotes from the book and that was quite honestly awesome. I could have dealt without the little notations from the author regarding what he left out and what he kept and what his wife and publishers thought, but other than that I immensely enjoyed the book. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Love the story, hated the audio version. It was like simply listening to the movie, although not quite as enjoyable. They need an unabridged version of this. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
The Princess Bride by William Golden was very good - very similar to the movie, although I actually liked the movie better. The "story-within-a-story" structure was interesting and well-done, I thought, although the author's asides were occasionally annoying. I didn't much care for the "first chapter of Buttercup's Baby" however. ( )
  Booklover889 | Mar 17, 2016 |
Upon closing the final page of this book, I said to myself, "Jerk." That's for Mr. Goldman. The last few chapters are part of an unfinished sequel called "Buttercup's Baby." It's kind of doom and gloom. You know how in The Princess Bride when the minutes are ticking away to Buttercup's wedding and she's not worried one bit because she's confident her Westley will save her? And even during the ceremony itself (much abbreviated by the abominable Humperdinck) she is complacent to the last because she knows her Westley will save her? Well, I kept waiting for Goldman to save me; to whisk me off into a fantasy world where everyone is blissfully happy and lives ever after that way. A world where their friendships (all four of them, I mean - Bcup, W, Fezz, and Inigo) and loyalties and love grow into something so unshakeable and monolithic that my heart is on fire. Well, he's a tease and a spoil sport and frustratingly noncommittal. Maybe that's why he's divorced (or is that fiction also?)

Anyway, in spite of the author, I still love this story very much and have already begun rewriting the ends (there are many) in my head. So there. ( )
  libbromus | Mar 17, 2016 |
The funniest book I've ever read and (though I am in the minority in this opinion) far superior to the film. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Mar 13, 2016 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

William Goldmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, NormanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manomivibul, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer that death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts - The Princess Bride is a modern storytelling classic.

As Florin and Guilder teeter on the verge of war, the reluctant Princess Buttercup is devastated by the loss of her true love, kidnapped by a mercenary and his henchmen, rescued by a pirate, forced to marry Prince Humperdinck, and rescued once again by the very crew who absconded with her in the first place. In the course of this dazzling adventure, she'll meet Vizzini - the criminal philosopher who'll do anything for a bag of gold; Fezzik - the gentle giant; Inigo - the Spaniard whose steel thirsts for revenge; and Count Rugen - the evil mastermind behind it all. Foiling all their plans and jumping into their stories is Westley, Princess Buttercup's one true love and a very good friend of a very dangerous pirate.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345348036, Mass Market Paperback)

The Princess Bride is a true fantasy classic. William Goldman describes it as a "good parts version" of "S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure." Morgenstern's original was filled with details of Florinese history, court etiquette, and Mrs. Morgenstern's mostly complimentary views of the text. Much admired by academics, the "Classic Tale" nonetheless obscured what Mr. Goldman feels is a story that has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

Goldman frames the fairy tale with an "autobiographical" story: his father, who came from Florin, abridged the book as he read it to his son. Now, Goldman is publishing an abridged version, interspersed with comments on the parts he cut out.

Is The Princess Bride a critique of classics like Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers, that smother a ripping yarn under elaborate prose? A wry look at the differences between fairy tales and real life? Simply a funny, frenetic adventure? No matter how you read it, you'll put it on your "keeper" shelf. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:01 -0400)

A writers views on life and art are revealed in his effort to edit the children's classic that shaped his literary ambitions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,257,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible