La principessa sposa by William Goldman

La principessa sposa (original 1973; edition 2006)

by William Goldman

14,421318139 (4.29)1 / 497
Member:gianoulinetti
Title:La principessa sposa
Authors:William Goldman
Info:
Tags:Letteratura USA

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (1973)

1970s (6)
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman (norabelle414, ChiennePhantome)
    norabelle414: Both are hilarious, imaginative fairy tales.
    Bridge of Birds: A Novel of Ancient China That Never Was by Barry Hughart (fugitive)
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (morryb)
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (norabelle414)
    Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (Pixelinchen)
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (Suzzett)
    Zorro by Isabel Allende (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both full of romance and adventure, and both fantastically written. Who doesn't love a daring swashbuckler?
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (morryb)
    The Rover by Mel Odom (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both are fun fantasy adventures that leave you wanting more!
    A Barrel of Laughs, A Vale of Tears by Jules Feiffer (suzanney)

English (313)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (318)
This book was okay. For the most part the writing was good except for the fact that people were wincing out loud, because apparently that's a thing. I can now watch the movie for the first time, and I hear many fans of The Princess Bride gasping in horror. Yes, I am aware I'm almost thirty years late to the party. My bad. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
The funniest book I've ever read and (though I am in the minority in this opinion) far superior to the film. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
(7.9)
  mshampson | Oct 18, 2014 |
Better than the movie! ( )
  CassandraT | Oct 10, 2014 |
A classic that I haven't read. I have watched the movie, which follows the book quite well, so that will taint this review because there are definitely some scenes where I can picture the actors delivering the lines.

I thought that this was a good book, but not necessarily a great book. It is, however, a great book for remembering certain lines and containing humorous phrases - both of which are probably reasons that it is so loved and remembered.

What can I say? I like my romances a tad more realistic rather than just unending love that transcends anything, even torture and death.

I did appreciate all of those melodramatic speeches. Of wintry cream and auburn hair, of true love that burns as brilliantly as a thousand suns, the burning and raging anger at the six fingered man.

All of them, well written.

3.5 stars rounded down.
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

William Goldmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, NormanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manomivibul, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer that death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Beautiful, flaxen-haired Buttercup has fallen for Westley, the farm boy, and when he departs to make his fortune, she vows never to love another. So when she hears that his ship has been captured by the Dread Pirate Roberts - who never leaves survivors - her heart is broken. But her charms draw the attention of the relentless Prince Humperdinck who wants a wife and will go to any lengths to have Buttercup. So starts a fairytale like no other, of fencing, fighting, torture, poison, true love, hate, revenge, giants, hunters, bad men, good men, beautifulest ladies, snakes, spiders, beasts, chases, escapes, lies, truths, passion and miracles.
Fractured fairy tale
"Life's not fair" is the point, but
True love never dies

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345348036, Mass Market Paperback)

The Princess Bride is a true fantasy classic. William Goldman describes it as a "good parts version" of "S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure." Morgenstern's original was filled with details of Florinese history, court etiquette, and Mrs. Morgenstern's mostly complimentary views of the text. Much admired by academics, the "Classic Tale" nonetheless obscured what Mr. Goldman feels is a story that has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

Goldman frames the fairy tale with an "autobiographical" story: his father, who came from Florin, abridged the book as he read it to his son. Now, Goldman is publishing an abridged version, interspersed with comments on the parts he cut out.

Is The Princess Bride a critique of classics like Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers, that smother a ripping yarn under elaborate prose? A wry look at the differences between fairy tales and real life? Simply a funny, frenetic adventure? No matter how you read it, you'll put it on your "keeper" shelf. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:46 -0400)

A writers views on life and art are revealed in his effort to edit the children's classic that shaped his literary ambitions.

5 1978

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,962,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible