La principessa sposa by William Goldman

La principessa sposa (original 1973; edition 2006)

by William Goldman

14,489325138 (4.28)1 / 507
Member:gianoulinetti
Title:La principessa sposa
Authors:William Goldman
Info:
Tags:Letteratura USA

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (1973)

1970s (6)
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman (norabelle414, ChiennePhantome)
    norabelle414: Both are hilarious, imaginative fairy tales.
    Bridge of Birds: A Novel of Ancient China That Never Was by Barry Hughart (fugitive)
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (morryb)
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (norabelle414)
    Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (Pixelinchen)
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (Suzzett)
    Zorro by Isabel Allende (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both full of romance and adventure, and both fantastically written. Who doesn't love a daring swashbuckler?
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (morryb)
    The Rover by Mel Odom (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both are fun fantasy adventures that leave you wanting more!
    A Barrel of Laughs, A Vale of Tears by Jules Feiffer (suzanney)

English (319)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (324)
I'm almost a bit ashamed to admit that this is my first time reading this book. No, I haven't watched the movie either, even though I do own it. Being that I was new, the first 10% of my kindle copy kind of threw me off track since well it was about the author and about the book, but wasn't the story. I do find the tale woven into the beginning to be an interesting one. Not the excitement you'd expect, then again I don't suppose it was supposed to be. It was pretty funny though.

As to the actual story, It was kind of typical. I think the most interesting parts of the entire story were the cut-ins from the author in all honestly. I haven't figured out how they made this into a movie unless they made some drastic changes to improve it. The book itself leaves so many pieces unattended to it makes it a bit hard to follow. Some of the chapters are dreadfully long and don't explain anything in between the paragraphs of actual story (the parts that aren't the author cut-ins). It's rare that a story bored me and this one did terribly.

It's not often that I come across a book that disappoints me, especially when for years I've heard nothing about how amazing this book is. I found Buttercup to be a bit an airhead that no one should have wasted their time on, the Prince was your typical villain as was his count. The most colorful character was Inigo. As to Westly, after the pirate incident he's not even remotely close to being the same character and while he did what every hero in every book does, it was flat. It felt like he was more obligated to it then for any actual love he had for Buttercup.

All in all, I'm honestly praying the movie (which I've withheld from watching until I read the book) is better than the book, but given how the movies are almost never as good as the book, I don't hold my breath.

I give this book 2 of 5 paws. ( )
  S.CuAnam_Policar | Jan 21, 2015 |
I actually read this the first time in 1975. I was in the army and one of my friends insisted I read this. I love this book now as I did then. the story telling is so captivating - tongue in cheek. Appropriate. ( )
  PallanDavid | Jan 16, 2015 |
This is a really funny satirical book because Goldman is acting in two worlds; almost like a thousand and one nights this is a story within a story and he shows inner thoughts of this second author. After reading an introduction and ending which talk of the fake author's estate, family, you stay to question your beliefs of how far the fiction goes. It's amazing. The actual inner inner sorry is very good although it had an oddly slow but fast plot. And, as the cliche says,I hated the ending. I was almost happy it was a short read because if I was much more invested in the characters, I would have gone crazy. Overall a good book and Goldman's explanation for writer's block by being fake sued deserves my fully hearted admiration. ( )
  Lorem | Dec 29, 2014 |
A fantastic book that the movie was true too. It seems like very little was changed between the book and the movie. The book offers more in the inner thoughts of the characters and attempts at humor. Some moments are really funny, though many fall flat. What I really like about this book is that it pokes fun of literature. The author will chime in to let you know he is taking out the boring stuff and giving you what really matters for the story. ( )
  renbedell | Dec 29, 2014 |
Buttercup has fallen for the farm boy, Westley. He decides to travel to America to make his fortune until the fateful day the Dread Pirate Roberts, who never leaves survivors captures him. On hearing this Buttercup is heartbroken and vows to never love another. She makes her word to wed, without love, but is she in for a surprise?

I saw the film and loved it and thought I should give the book a go as well. Now, had it been the other way around I don't think I'd have given the film the time of day. The book is interesting but it doesn't leave you wanting more. It doesn't make you want to turn the page to find out what happens. There are times when it gets good but overall there's far too much long windedness in between those times.

I found the fact the William Goldman is pretending to be writing the abridged version of a novel by a man, S. Morgenstern, a man who never existed, never mind wrote the book, humorous. The fact that he added a fictional story, with the pretence of it actually happening, is interesting. I think it added some depth to the book as a whole. It's easy to believe it had happened, that as a kid he had pneumonia and his seemingly illiterate father read it to him. As it is an "abridged" version throughout he is constantly adding his narrative to explain what is missing from the "original." I found them to be enjoyable.

I loved Inigo Montoya. He has to be the greatest character in the book along with Fezzik. There were the two least annoying characters. Inigo was a powerful character - he had strength, he had skill, he just didn't have much knowledge and was constantly needing a leader to guide him. The same could be said for Fezzik. I suppose after a while it got a bit tiresome but nothing compared with Buttercup and Westley. They irritated the hell out of me. When they weren't being all lovey dovey they were constantly moaning about something.

I enjoyed reading about the fire swamp and the zoo of death. They were both well described and interesting concepts. For me there was far too much dialogue and not that much description.

I think this book was wasted on me. Read it, you might appreciate it more. ( )
  Chicalicious | Dec 28, 2014 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

William Goldmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, NormanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manomivibul, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer that death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Beautiful, flaxen-haired Buttercup has fallen for Westley, the farm boy, and when he departs to make his fortune, she vows never to love another. So when she hears that his ship has been captured by the Dread Pirate Roberts - who never leaves survivors - her heart is broken. But her charms draw the attention of the relentless Prince Humperdinck who wants a wife and will go to any lengths to have Buttercup. So starts a fairytale like no other, of fencing, fighting, torture, poison, true love, hate, revenge, giants, hunters, bad men, good men, beautifulest ladies, snakes, spiders, beasts, chases, escapes, lies, truths, passion and miracles.
Fractured fairy tale
"Life's not fair" is the point, but
True love never dies

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345348036, Mass Market Paperback)

The Princess Bride is a true fantasy classic. William Goldman describes it as a "good parts version" of "S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure." Morgenstern's original was filled with details of Florinese history, court etiquette, and Mrs. Morgenstern's mostly complimentary views of the text. Much admired by academics, the "Classic Tale" nonetheless obscured what Mr. Goldman feels is a story that has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

Goldman frames the fairy tale with an "autobiographical" story: his father, who came from Florin, abridged the book as he read it to his son. Now, Goldman is publishing an abridged version, interspersed with comments on the parts he cut out.

Is The Princess Bride a critique of classics like Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers, that smother a ripping yarn under elaborate prose? A wry look at the differences between fairy tales and real life? Simply a funny, frenetic adventure? No matter how you read it, you'll put it on your "keeper" shelf. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:46 -0400)

A writers views on life and art are revealed in his effort to edit the children's classic that shaped his literary ambitions.

5 2005

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,129,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible