La principessa sposa by William Goldman

La principessa sposa (original 1973; edition 2006)

by William Goldman

16,709406106 (4.28)3 / 595
Member:gianoulinetti
Title:La principessa sposa
Authors:William Goldman
Info:
Tags:Letteratura USA

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (1973)

1970s (10)
Satire (86)

English (398)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All (404)
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
I didn't think the book would be as funny as the movie, but I loved it even more if you can believe. What a delightful book! ( )
  aliciadana | Jun 16, 2017 |
The Princess Bride in book form is not only equally as good as the movie, it can be argued that it is better (most books are better than their movie counterparts, but here it is up for debate.) So close to the book is the film - word for word quotations, settings, explanations - that it was remarkably easy to unite the two.
That said, the book itself is fantastic. I recommend it to anyone and everyone of any age or gender. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
Much as I love the movie, Goldman's novel is even more wonderful. The structure is fantastic, and the detailed back stories of the characters adds a layer the film simply couldn't present (without being 6 hours long). Always a favorite, and one of the very few books I have given away multiple times. ( )
  Scott_Baron | Jun 13, 2017 |
Iconic romance, adventure of the 1980’s, I think I liked the book more than the film. A favorite with my family.
127 ( )
  Bettesbooks | Apr 21, 2017 |
The book is clearly a witty, affectionate send-up of the adventure-yarn form, which Goldman obviously loves and knows how to manipulate with enormous skill.

William Goldmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Minor, WendellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanders, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Death cannot stop true love. It can just delay it for a while.
As you wish.
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer that death.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts - The Princess Bride is a modern storytelling classic.

As Florin and Guilder teeter on the verge of war, the reluctant Princess Buttercup is devastated by the loss of her true love, kidnapped by a mercenary and his henchmen, rescued by a pirate, forced to marry Prince Humperdinck, and rescued once again by the very crew who absconded with her in the first place. In the course of this dazzling adventure, she'll meet Vizzini - the criminal philosopher who'll do anything for a bag of gold; Fezzik - the gentle giant; Inigo - the Spaniard whose steel thirsts for revenge; and Count Rugen - the evil mastermind behind it all. Foiling all their plans and jumping into their stories is Westley, Princess Buttercup's one true love and a very good friend of a very dangerous pirate.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345348036, Mass Market Paperback)

The Princess Bride is a true fantasy classic. William Goldman describes it as a "good parts version" of "S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure." Morgenstern's original was filled with details of Florinese history, court etiquette, and Mrs. Morgenstern's mostly complimentary views of the text. Much admired by academics, the "Classic Tale" nonetheless obscured what Mr. Goldman feels is a story that has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

Goldman frames the fairy tale with an "autobiographical" story: his father, who came from Florin, abridged the book as he read it to his son. Now, Goldman is publishing an abridged version, interspersed with comments on the parts he cut out.

Is The Princess Bride a critique of classics like Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers, that smother a ripping yarn under elaborate prose? A wry look at the differences between fairy tales and real life? Simply a funny, frenetic adventure? No matter how you read it, you'll put it on your "keeper" shelf. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:01 -0400)

A writers views on life and art are revealed in his effort to edit the children's classic that shaped his literary ambitions.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible