The Tiger in the Well by Philip Pullman

The Tiger in the Well (1991)

by Philip Pullman

Series: Sally Lockhart Mysteries (3)

English (24)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
The longest book in the series. Some parts of it are very good, for example the parts where Sally is rendered so immensely vulnerable by the fact that as a woman she has so few rights. I got really steamed at the ineffective condescension of her lawyer and the small-minded bullying of so many others she encountered in her difficulties. As with other books by Philip Pullman the protagonist must do something that seems uncharacteristically stupid in order to make her circumstances novelistically difficult; I was annoyed by her financial obtuseness. Her conversion to socialism while fighting for her life in the sewers is unintentionally funny and a bit of the adventure involving the ethnic gangs veers weirdly into Terry Pratchet territory.

I intend to read the Tin Princess; Philip Pullman is, and was when he wrote these books, a very talented writer. ( )
  themulhern | Jan 5, 2014 |
Riveting. ( )
  potterhead9.75 | Jan 5, 2014 |
The third in the Sally Lockhart quartet, longer than its predecessors, but another good adventure where Sally has to battle against forces trying to rewrite her past history for their own ends. In the process she becomes familiar with poverty, exploitation and indifference in the East End and becomes determined to make a difference fighting against them, another string to her bow. The central villain and some of his associates are chillingly well realised. I like Sally and her friends and will probably feel sorry when I read the final novel in the series. ( )
  john257hopper | Sep 20, 2013 |
I didn't like this book as much as the others. It had its moments -- the "kissing like they just invented it" line, for example, sticks in my head years later. And yet. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I read it hoping for some redemption after the debacle which was Book the Second. I think I felt so betrayed by Pullman that I couldn't fairly assess this book on its own merits. I'm still mad at him. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |

Philip Pullmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benson, LindaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lesser, AntonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stutzman, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jude
Voor Jude, met liefs
One sunny morning in the autumn of 1881, Sally Lockhart stood in the garden and watched her little daughter play, and thought that things were good.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0679826718, Mass Market Paperback)

Sally, now 25, is comfortably settled with her child, Harriet, her work, and her London friends. But when a complete stranger claims to be both her husband and Harriet's father, Sally's whole world comes crashing down around her. With nowhere to turn, she escapes with Harriet into the slums of London's East End--and finds help in some unexpected quarters.

"Pullman is fast becoming a modern-day Dickens for young adults. The setting is the same, the strong eye for characters is there, as are the brooding atmosphere, the social conscience, and the ability to spin plot within plot. Sally Lockhart is now a young woman, left alone with a toddler. Nothing prepares her for the shock of receiving a summons from a man she has never even heard of, suing for divorce and the custody of her beloved Harriet. Sally struggles against the net closing around her, seeking to find out who is persecuting her and why. The writing style is lively and direct, and there's lots of action. This is a suspense novel with a conscience, and a most enjoyable one."--School Library Journal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:17 -0400)

In London in 1881, twenty-four-year-old Sally finds her young daughter and her possessions assailed by an unknown enemy, while a shadowy figure known as the Tzaddik involves her in his plot to defraud and exploit the hordes of Jewish immigrants pouring into the country.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,711,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible