The Tin Princess by Philip Pullman

The Tin Princess (original 1994; edition 1996)

by Philip Pullman

Info:Laurel Leaf (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Paperback, Sally Lockhart Series, Victorian, Read 2004

The Tin Princess by Philip Pullman (1994)

The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope (themulhern)
    themulhern: A tiny kingdom, an imprisoned prince, an Englishman who loves the queen...

English (15)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  All languages (20)
This is the final novel in the Sally Lockhart quartet, but for me the most disappointing as Sally was hardly in it. It concerns instead the doings of the orphan girl Adelaide from The Ruby in the Smoke, who has managed to get herself married to the heir apparent to the throne of the (fictional) Ruritania-like kingdom of Razkavia, a tiny state between the German and Austro-Hungarian empires, and which is desperately trying to avoid being swallowed by either one. As a swashbuckler with murders, betrayals, lost princes and battles, this was decent, though it never felt as realistic as the previous novels and I found it difficult to take the plot seriously, because of that contrast. The country falls apart when the German army invades and Adelaide and her friends are forced to flee. The fates of several of the minor characters were unclear at the end of the novel. A disappointing end to the series. ( )
  john257hopper | Mar 18, 2014 |
A strong but shallow effort by Philip Pullman. One thing that he's good at is endings, though, and the ending of this novel is more captivating than a good deal of what comes before. It is not up to his previous standard, but it's very much a nod to the Ruritanian school of fiction just as the first book in the series evoked a Holmesian world.

He has almost promised to continue the series, and I would certainly enjoy following it. ( )
  themulhern | Mar 4, 2014 |
The tin princess is a classic and exciting sequel to ruby in the smoke (this was actually better than ruby in the smoke). This tale will lead you to Raskavia with a princess, a detective and well Becky who doesn't really have a title but is my favourite character.
The best bit about this book is the thrilling mystery that comes with it.
The worst bit about this book is that it could be a bit slow moving at times.
This mystery is totally unsolvable and unpredictable until near the end,(I'll give you a hint, the butler didn't do it!
The plot to this book is truly amazing, there is a twist round every corner. This book is good for anyone, any age shape or form.
I had to read a paragraph from this heart tingling book for a presentation and I was struggling with so much choice.
I don't generally read books like this but I thought it was great!!! ( )
  kathy_chiff | Sep 30, 2013 |
I didn't like this one anywhere near as much as the others. I eventually finished reading it, but there wasn't much of Sally, and it just didn't really interest me. I seem to remember it getting kind of ridiculous and much less realistic than the other books. ( )
1 vote shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Fantastic storytelling, highly recommended. This novel is ostensibly a spin-off of the Sally Lockhart trilogy, although it draws little from that series beyond the general atmosphere and a few characters – notably Jim Taylor (now a private detective) and Adelaide (a maid turned Princess turned Queen of Razkavia – a tiny central European kingdom). Sally, now Lockhart Goldberg, also makes brief but important appearances at the beginning and end. But really it should be thought of as a standalone novel.

It is a traditional adventure story set in a mountainous kingdom wedged between Germany and Austria-Hungary, both of whom have designs on it. The kingdom itself is a cesspool of intrigue, warring factions in court mirrored in the halls of the university and the street. An Jim, Adelaide, and her tutor Becky Winter, all arrive from London and shake up the kingdom in surprising ways.

Perhaps the most important way this diverges from stories in this genre (and I’m not sure I’ve read many if any, despite all of it seem pleasantly familiar) is the absence of a they all lived happily ever after ending. ( )
  jasonlf | Jul 31, 2011 |

Philip Pullmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lesser, AntonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Gordon Dennis, with gratitude and affection.
Rebecca Winter, talented, cheerful, and poor, had arrived at the age of sixteen without once seeing a bomb go off.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0679876154, Mass Market Paperback)

Days after she witnesses a mysterious explosion in 19th-century London, 16-year-old Becky Winter is on her way to a small country In Central Europe, as a companion to Adelaide, a Cockney commoner who'd rather play board games than be a princess. But after an assassination makes Adelaide ruler of Razkavia, she rises to the occasion and her new station, gleefully playing international politics with the help of Becky and Jim Taylor, a dashing young detective.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:52 -0400)

In 1882 sixteen-year-old Becky applies for a tutoring job in London and becomes embroiled in assassination, intrigue, and dangerous politics in the small European kingdom of Razkavia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,559,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible