Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Tin Princess by Philip Pullman

The Tin Princess (original 1994; edition 1996)

by Philip Pullman

Member:mdwilliams
Title:The Tin Princess
Authors:Philip Pullman
Info:Laurel Leaf (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Paperback, Sally Lockhart Series, Victorian, Read 2004

The Tin Princess by Philip Pullman (1994)

The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope (themulhern)
    themulhern: A tiny kingdom, an imprisoned prince, an Englishman who loves the queen...

English (19)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  All languages (24)
Exactly what I wanted to read.

Becky Winter is a capable polyglot with a romantic streak, who finds herself swept up in political intrigue after witnessing an explosion. Suddenly the sixteen-year-old Winter is tutor and interpreter to a secret cockney princess, headed from London to a tiny nation sandwiched between Austria and Germany accompanied by a dreamy prince, gruff ambassador and his icy wife, and a dashing detective. The novel’s plot twists and turns through Razkavia’s 19th-century-Bavarian-influenced countryside. Danger, secret identities, and nefarious schemes fill its pages right up to a genuinely thrilling conclusion.

Philip Pullman can always be relied upon to deliver richly detailed, wryly funny, smart historical fiction. I picked this up at the library because I was dying to read something I’d like, and feeling slightly melancholy that The Subtle Knife will never be a movie. I didn’t realize it was a continuation of a previous series, and I got good and thoroughly spoiled on the events of that series while devouring The Tin Princess. It’s a great book: several strong female characters with distinct personalities, men worth crushing on, a richly imagined fictional country, political strategy, and plenty of derring-do. What more could a reader ask for? There are even a couple of nice, not too-soppy romances (one sweet, the other rather steamy.) The only drawbacks were that Razkavia made me miss Germany terribly, and the blurb described Adelaide as “heartbreakingly beautiful” while the book described her as “not altogether pretty.” Really, publishing industry? Men can love women who aren’t supermodels. Promise. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
Exactly what I wanted to read.

ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
Fantastic storytelling, highly recommended. This novel is ostensibly a spin-off of the Sally Lockhart trilogy, although it draws little from that series beyond the general atmosphere and a few characters ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
What a relief from density--a thumping good socialist yarn about evil 19th c. industrialists and royalists! I knew he wouldn't let me down. ( )
  CSRodgers | May 3, 2014 |
This is the final novel in the Sally Lockhart quartet, but for me the most disappointing as Sally was hardly in it. It concerns instead the doings of the orphan girl Adelaide from The Ruby in the Smoke, who has managed to get herself married to the heir apparent to the throne of the (fictional) Ruritania-like kingdom of Razkavia, a tiny state between the German and Austro-Hungarian empires, and which is desperately trying to avoid being swallowed by either one. As a swashbuckler with murders, betrayals, lost princes and battles, this was decent, though it never felt as realistic as the previous novels and I found it difficult to take the plot seriously, because of that contrast. The country falls apart when the German army invades and Adelaide and her friends are forced to flee. The fates of several of the minor characters were unclear at the end of the novel. A disappointing end to the series. ( )
  john257hopper | Mar 18, 2014 |

Philip Pullmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lesser, AntonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Gordon Dennis, with gratitude and affection.
Rebecca Winter, talented, cheerful, and poor, had arrived at the age of sixteen without once seeing a bomb go off.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0679876154, Mass Market Paperback)

Days after she witnesses a mysterious explosion in 19th-century London, 16-year-old Becky Winter is on her way to a small country In Central Europe, as a companion to Adelaide, a Cockney commoner who'd rather play board games than be a princess. But after an assassination makes Adelaide ruler of Razkavia, she rises to the occasion and her new station, gleefully playing international politics with the help of Becky and Jim Taylor, a dashing young detective.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:52 -0400)

In 1882 sixteen-year-old Becky applies for a tutoring job in London and becomes embroiled in assassination, intrigue, and dangerous politics in the small European kingdom of Razkavia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,739,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible