The Problem of Pain by C. S. Lewis

The Problem of Pain (1940)

by C. S. Lewis

English (32)  Spanish (1)  All languages (33)
This book provides an honest and compassionate answer for all those who ask how a loving and omnipotent God can allow pain and suffering. ( )
  krista.rutherford | Jan 3, 2014 |
I love to read about the reasoning behind CS Lewis' faith. ( )
  geniemagik | Dec 5, 2013 |
I listened to this as an audiobook, as it is one I will have to sit down and read again. It will probably call for many re-readings. One of the reasons I needed and wanted to read this book is because I have fibromylgia. C.S. Lewis does away with two popular theories of chronic pain that the suffer is being directly punished for a sin or that the suffer is lacking in the faith required to have the pain taken from them.

God give us free will so that we may love in fully. That gave us the ability to fall from His grace. With that fall came pain. No amount of faith in God can undo the fall from grace.

Of course C.S. Lewis also says that it is natural as good people for us to want pain to go away and for us to wish that our loved ones did not feel it. The author never says do not wish for pain to go away and do not pray for healing. ( )
  Briarthorn | Sep 22, 2013 |
I am continuing my quest to read everything penned by Clive Staples Lewis. This is the birthday gift that keeps on giving! (I used a Barnes & Noble gift card from one of my birthdays to buy a boxed set of Lewis' classics. Even though it included Mere Christianity and Screwtape Letters, titles I already owned. I'm SO glad I didn't let that minor setback ruin the pleasures of owning Lewis' complete set of classic works.)

Technical Merit

Again, I give C. S. Lewis the highest...

For full review, visit We Talk of Holy Things at http://jmnz.us/17zLvUk ( )
  cjime008 | Aug 15, 2013 |
In this book the Christian writer C. S. Lewis tries to answer the question: "If God is good and all-powerful, why does he allow his creatures to suffer pain?". Lewis is not trying to give advice on how to overcome pain and adversary - this is more a philosophical and theological treatise - and he goes straight back addressing God's omnipotence and the concept of sin and evil.

I enjoy Lewis' writings - he's so original and have funny and surprising ways of explaining difficult theological issues (although at times difficult to follow) - and you always walk away with new thoughts and ideas. Also there's an interesting chapter on Animal pain (Lewis was very fond of animals). The book ends with a chapter on Heaven as the ultimate source of hope and relief from the suffering on earth. ( )
2 vote ctpress | Jun 25, 2013 |

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pesonen, MarittaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'The Son of God suffered unto the death, not that men might not suffer, but that their sufferings might be like His.'
-- George MacDonald,
Unspoken Sermons, First Series
To The Inklings
Not many years ago when I was an atheist, if anyone had asked me, "Why do you not believe in God?" my reply would have run something like this: "Look at the universe we live in.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060652969, Paperback)

The Problem of Pain answers the universal question, "Why would an all-loving, all-knowing God allow people to experience pain and suffering?" Master Christian apologist C.S. Lewis asserts that pain is a problem because our finite, human minds selfishly believe that pain-free lives would prove that God loves us. In truth, by asking for this, we want God to love us less, not more than he does. "Love, in its own nature, demands the perfecting of the beloved; that the mere 'kindness' which tolerates anything except suffering in its object is, in that respect at the opposite pole from Love." In addressing "Divine Omnipotence," "Human Wickedness," "Human Pain," and "Heaven," Lewis succeeds in lifting the reader from his frame of reference by artfully capitulating these topics into a conversational tone, which makes his assertions easy to swallow and even easier to digest. Lewis is straightforward in aim as well as honest about his impediments, saying, "I am not arguing that pain is not painful. Pain hurts. I am only trying to show that the old Christian doctrine that being made perfect through suffering is not incredible. To prove it palatable is beyond my design." The mind is expanded, God is magnified, and the reader is reminded that he is not the center of the universe as Lewis carefully rolls through the dissertation that suffering is God's will in preparing the believer for heaven and for the full weight of glory that awaits him there. While many of us naively wish that God had designed a "less glorious and less arduous destiny" for his children, the fortune lies in Lewis's inclination to set us straight with his charming wit and pious mind. --Jill Heatherly

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:23 -0400)

The author explores the intellectual questions raised by mental and physical suffering.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,633,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible