The Taming of the Shrew (Oxford School…

The Taming of the Shrew (Oxford School Shakespeare) (edition 1990)

by William Shakespeare

Member:agbram
Title:The Taming of the Shrew (Oxford School Shakespeare)
Authors:William Shakespeare
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (1990), Paperback, 128 pages
Tags:Literature, Classics, Drama,

The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare

English (56)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (62)
I know it's about male chauvinist pigs, but I thought the parts that weren't totally misogynistic were actually pretty witty and enjoyable. ( )
  inescapableabby | Nov 28, 2018 |
As always, a great edition from the Arden publishers. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
I had to read this one when I was in high school for an AP Lit course (man, I hated that course). Lit teachers have so many opportunities to choose some really amazing, relevant lit, and while I think Shakespeare is still relevant today, the way this book was taught was miserable. There were moments when the discussions in class were interesting, but it wasn't any thanks to the instructor or the play itself, I don't think. Of course, in high school fashion we watched the movie afterwards, and I found I enjoyed it better (and actually understood the play better, too). It was okay, but not one of my favorites among the Shakespeare pile of plays. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
This is a deeply troubling and often frankly misogynistic play, and I'm not here to defend those aspects of it. However I saw a version of it years ago that turned the misogyny on its head in a way that I thought was interesting, and perhaps truer to the many levels on which Shakespeare worked. It was a "Shakespeare in the Park" production, in New York, starring Morgan Freeman and Tracey Ullman, and you can imagine how fantastic that was. The best part was how they did the end of the play--that long, troubling speech by Kate where she prostrates herself before Petruchio and declares her obedience. What the director of that production realized, brilliantly, is that the speech goes on way, way too long! In fact, it becomes self-parody, a way for Kate to mock Petruchio with the words he wants to hear. Tracey Ullman played it to perfection. She kept pausing in the speech, goading Morgan Freeman into thinking she was done, and then she piled on some more, and then kept pausing and piling on until it was clear she was making fun of him, thereby undermining everything she was saying. It was utterly brilliant and has become my "gold standard" for how to perform--and understand--the play. ( )
1 vote MichaelBarsa | Dec 17, 2017 |
Highly entertaining: a great farce drawn from the battle of the sexes. ( )
1 vote J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |

Has the adaptation

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

This work is for the complete The Taming of the Shrew only. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or simplifications (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.
Brilliant comedy,
A battle of the sexes,
Is Kate truly tamed?
(hillaryrose7)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074347757X, Mass Market Paperback)

Folger Shakespeare Library

The world's leading center for Shakespeare studies

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Karen Newman

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:47 -0400)

A revised edition of the comedy covers the playwright's life and theater, an introduction to the play, sources, critical commentaries, and stage and film productions

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714510, 0451526791, 0141015519

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,914,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible