The Taming of the Shrew by William…

The Taming of the Shrew (edition 2011)

by William Shakespeare

Member:slwenz20
Title:The Taming of the Shrew
Authors:William Shakespeare
Info:Simon & Brown (2011), Paperback, 148 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:plays

The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare

English (47)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (52)
I bet every older sister secretly likes this play. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
So, here's the thing. Back in the day, like when I was a silly fifteen-year-old girl, I was kind of obsessed with Shakespeare. We read Romeo & Juliet in my high school English class, and I thought it was just so amazing, so I asked my mom to buy me The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. And she did. (Thanks, mom.) Sure, I read a couple more of his plays, but then the book sat on a dusty shelf for years. Then it moved across the country with me, where it sat in a dusty box for years. I finally pulled it out again when my reading challenge stated I needed to read "something published over 100 years ago" and "a play." Two of Shakespeare's plays. How difficult could that be? I was so obsessed in high school!

It took weeks.

Weeks to read two plays.

I am so embarrassed, but I could not bring myself to care about either of the plays I read.

The worse of the two, I think, was The Taming of the Shrew. Now, everybody knows this story. It's what 10 Things I Hate About You is based off of! Everybody loves cute, sweet Bianca, but she can't get married until her evil older sister, Katharina, finds a husband. The thing is, Kate doesn't seem to want a husband. But she's married off anyway, to a man who basically starves her into submission, and then paraded around as a prime example of a good wife.

In addition to that, there were just way too many characters for me to keep track of -- Lucentio and Petruchio and Gremio and Grumio and WHY do all these characters have similar-sounding names?

I didn't want to assign any star ratings to Shakespeare, but for completeness I needed to.

Maybe there's a joke somewhere in here that I missed, but I didn't find this one entertaining at all. ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |
If only this play had retained all of the comedic elements from its opening pages it might have left a better taste in my mouth than it did. Not one of the great playwright's better works, and not something I would 'willingly' read again, but mildly enjoyable nonetheless. ( )
  hickey92 | Jan 24, 2016 |
One of my favorite Shakespeare plays ( )
  oel_3 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Baptista's older daughter, Katherina, is notoriously foul-tempered and shrewish while his younger daughter, Bianca, has many suitors. Baptista will not allow Bianca to marry before her older sister, however. The suitors work together to find a husband for Katherina so that they may have a chance at Bianca. Enter Petruchio, who "tames" Katherina with his outrageous personality and behavior until she has no choice but to submit to his will.

This is my first time reading this play, but I have seen several versions of it, and it's always been the one play of Shakespeare's that I've had serious trouble with. I just cannot wrap my mind around the idea that Katherina's character changes so completely so suddenly. I did a bit of research into the many different ways to interpret this text, so that helped explain it a bit, but I still find her character unbelievable. I will admit that this could just be the offended feminist in me talking. I did enjoy the comic relief of some of the other characters. I also found it interesting that my edition included the Induction scene that introduces The Taming of the Shrew as a play within a play. Every version I've ever seen omits this and just presents the play on its own, so I didn't even know this scene existed. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

I'll pheeze you, in faith.
No profit grows where is no pleasure ta'en;

In brief, sir, study what you most affect.
To suck the sweets of sweet philosophy.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074347757X, Mass Market Paperback)

Folger Shakespeare Library

The world's leading center for Shakespeare studies

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Karen Newman

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:47 -0400)

"Bantam edition with newly edited text and substantially revised, edited, and amplified notes, introductions, and other materials.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714510, 0451526791, 0141015519

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible