The Taming of the Shrew by William…

The Taming of the Shrew (edition 2011)

by William Shakespeare

Member:slwenz20
Title:The Taming of the Shrew
Authors:William Shakespeare
Info:Simon & Brown (2011), Paperback, 148 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:plays

The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare

English (50)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (56)
Really funny. Although, yes, it is technically sexist. When I heard that last speech performed live, there was no real mutual respect it seemed, and maybe it was a little dull. But when the mutual respect is clear, you realize it isn't just Kate who has changed, but her husband as well. Thus it becomes clear that they respect each other, and truly, while it appears that she is 'beneath him' and always agreeing with everything he says, there is an air that she is only learning to not be contrary and she thus becomes able to be in a relationship, in a partnership. ( )
  knotbox | Jun 10, 2016 |
Review: The Taming Of The Shrew by W. Shakespeare. The play is full of action, comedy, and many mistaken and hidden identities to keep the reader captivated by Shakespeare style of writing. The Folger edition I read was very helpful in explaining and understanding the context with ease. There detailed side notes and definitions of unfamiliar words was very helpful. It’s a story of love, family, money, greed, loyalty written as a play. I believe Shakespeare was an absolute genius in terms of understanding human psychology and expressing manner that justifies the existence of the English language. Some readers may feel offended with “The Taming of the Shrew” but I thought it was brilliant for the era it was created and set as a comedy. Shakespeare exhibited the submissive role of women as well as the poor treatment of servants, always from a comical view, which is a useful way to understand the era and its habits and customs. The characters are real and enchanting. It starts off with Baptista Minola having two daughters, sweet Bianca and all her suitors and stubborn Katherine who wants to do what she wants, but their father is only concerned in selling them to rich husbands and not their happiness. Since Bianca is not allowed to marry before Katherine she comes up with a plan to move Katherine in the path of one of her own suitors but the plan takes a twist in another direction. An impoverished nobleman named Petruchio with a sharp wit as Katherine is the only suitor who would marry her and their father gladly jumps at the chance. Petruchio claims he can tame Katherine, “the Shrew” like an animal in no time by starving her and keeping her in old clothing and shaming her in public. … Katherine soon appears to be “Tamed” by Petruchuo’s cruelties, learns the art of subtlety and diplomacy that will enable her to survive in a society ruled by men. Katherine surprised all in the last scene when she gave a humble affirmation speech of the superiority of men while ridiculing Petruchio, Lucentio, and Hortensio for their efforts of taming there women in a few days by incompetent control method. This speech comes from a woman who, after years of intimidating the men around her, has been browbeaten, emotionally abused and humiliated but still survived…. ( )
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
The Roma Gill study guide is a great study guide for students and teachers alike. She can explain the ins and outs of the play that is relevant for students. The notes are clear and comprehensive and will help to create meaningful learning. ( )
  redstardude | May 13, 2016 |
I bet every older sister secretly likes this play. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
So, here's the thing. Back in the day, like when I was a silly fifteen-year-old girl, I was kind of obsessed with Shakespeare. We read Romeo & Juliet in my high school English class, and I thought it was just so amazing, so I asked my mom to buy me The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. And she did. (Thanks, mom.) Sure, I read a couple more of his plays, but then the book sat on a dusty shelf for years. Then it moved across the country with me, where it sat in a dusty box for years. I finally pulled it out again when my reading challenge stated I needed to read "something published over 100 years ago" and "a play." Two of Shakespeare's plays. How difficult could that be? I was so obsessed in high school!

It took weeks.

Weeks to read two plays.

I am so embarrassed, but I could not bring myself to care about either of the plays I read.

The worse of the two, I think, was The Taming of the Shrew. Now, everybody knows this story. It's what 10 Things I Hate About You is based off of! Everybody loves cute, sweet Bianca, but she can't get married until her evil older sister, Katharina, finds a husband. The thing is, Kate doesn't seem to want a husband. But she's married off anyway, to a man who basically starves her into submission, and then paraded around as a prime example of a good wife.

In addition to that, there were just way too many characters for me to keep track of -- Lucentio and Petruchio and Gremio and Grumio and WHY do all these characters have similar-sounding names?

I didn't want to assign any star ratings to Shakespeare, but for completeness I needed to.

Maybe there's a joke somewhere in here that I missed, but I didn't find this one entertaining at all. ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

This work is for the COMPLETE "The Taming of the Shrew" ONLY. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or "simplifications" (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074347757X, Mass Market Paperback)

Folger Shakespeare Library

The world's leading center for Shakespeare studies

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Karen Newman

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:47 -0400)

"Bantam edition with newly edited text and substantially revised, edited, and amplified notes, introductions, and other materials.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714510, 0451526791, 0141015519

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,156,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible