The Old Woman Who Named Things by Cynthia…

The Old Woman Who Named Things (edition 2000)

by Cynthia Rylant, Kathryn Brown (Illustrator)

Member:law2110
Title:The Old Woman Who Named Things
Authors:Cynthia Rylant
Other authors:Kathryn Brown (Illustrator)
Info:Sandpiper (2000), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:Pets, Loyalty, Friends, Friendship, Harcourt

The Old Woman Who Named Things by Cynthia Rylant

Sagan om den lilla farbrorn by Barbro Lindgren (ASKier)
    ASKier: Stories of lonely, elderly people who find unexpected friends in stray dogs.

How does an old woman who has outlived all her friends keep from being lonely? By naming the things in her life she knows she will never outlive--like her house, Franklin, and her bed, Roxanne. When a shy brown puppy appears at her front gate, the old woman won’t name it, because it might not outlive her. Tender watercolors capture the charm of this heartwarming story of an old woman who doesn’t know she’s lonely until she meets a plucky puppy who needs a name--and someone to love.
  Sara1211 | Nov 23, 2016 |
This is a beautifully poignant story about an old woman who has outlived all her friends and so to avoid the pain of loss but still feel that she is surrounded by friends she has named all her inanimate belongings. Then one day a small brown puppy enters her life and she begins to realise that the happiness and companionship of friendship is worth the possible emotional pain of loss. Review by Fiona
  Scopuslrc | Mar 23, 2016 |
21 months - really enjoyed this book and had to read it many times. What a lucky dog! ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
This is a rather strange subject to introduce to children in a picture book: old age, loneliness and having outlived all the friends. Yet this book grew on me, with its gentle, matter of fact story line. I'm still not sure however what business it has with kids, but it's a lovely book, and I was very sympathetic to the old woman, who with her cowboy boots, the tall bun on top of her head, and a unique, eccentric sense of fashion, must have something of an interesting character. And I liked the faces on her car, her chair, her bed and her house, just like I always imagined those objects having faces when I was a kid. The story didn't entirely make sense to me, like how was it that she didn't know anyone by name anymore? Now, she was living all by herself, but she clearly got out of the house and went for supplies, groceries, the mail on a near daily basis. And she didn't make any friends like that? The old woman really reminded me of my mother, who also lives alone and has outlived many of her friends, yet keeps making new ones all the time. Anyway, I liked the end where she considers how lucky she's been and I loved all the human expressions the illustrator put on the old woman's face. Not a perfect book, put pretty darn memorable ...
I think it would pair nicely with [b:John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat|301460|John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)|Jenny Wagner|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1387663108s/301460.jpg|292524], another story of learning to accept new friends in your life. ( )
  Fjola | Apr 23, 2015 |
There once was a old woman that out lived all her friends so she began to name the things around her she wouldn't out live. Until one day a puppy befriended her he came to see her everyday but she never named him until one day he didn't come to visit her. She was worried so she called the dog catcher and found him there she took him home and named him.
Age 4 and up
DuPont Library ( )
  TimberlyG | Mar 9, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152021027, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:26 -0400)

An old woman who has outlived all her friends is reluctant to become too attached to the stray dog that visits her each day.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,824,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible