The Boundless Deep by Kate Brallier

The Boundless Deep (edition 2008)

by Kate Brallier

Member:BelleoftheBook
Title:The Boundless Deep
Authors:Kate Brallier
Info:Forge Books (2008), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Novels

The Boundless Deep by Kate Brallier

The air is acrid; the beast is mighty as he rises from the depths of the dark ocean. She can sense the impending doom upon them all, the untimely end they all must face. The whale descends upon them, splintering their ship into nothing while the men all fall into the cold abyss of the sea.

It is something Liza has known all her life, and yet she has never experienced it. The dreams are recurring, but Liza knows she is not herself in them. How can she taste the salt of the ocean, feel the cold wind on her face, and see the beast coming for her when she has never seen the sea in her current lifetime? Whisked away to Nantucket by her closest friend, Liza finds herself reliving a life that seems to have occurred more than a hundred years ago. Only, it seems, that she carries a guilt within her that she can't place. Could it be that she is reliving her days as a captain that may have murdered his young wife?

From the moment I opened this book I was pulled in. The intrigue of the mystery within the dreams was captivating; I was eager to experience every clue that Liza found to her past life. The author wrote her story with a perfect balance between the modern Liza and the person she may have been in another century, neither tale overpowering the other. The flow was precise, the content never feeling dull or sluggish. I enjoyed Kate Brsllier's novel and hope to see her write more in the future. ( )
  BelleoftheBook | Feb 21, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book so much. I haven't read a book that has kept me so enthralled in ages! This is a book that presents a little bit of mystery, a little bit of the paranormal, a little bit of romance. This book has it all. The author can actually construct a decent sentance, and her words paint such vivid imagery. In sum, the main character is searching for the cause of the mysterious dreams she has had her whole life. She embarks on a journey halfway across the continent and finds herself in the small little community of Nantucket. She meets an interesting gaggle of elemental characters, and proceeds to find her answers, and her own self over the course of the summer. The book is filled with interesting little nuggets of historical accuracy that greatly added to my enjoyment of the story. I would definitely recommend this book to someone who's looking for something other than the old "tried and true." You won't be disappointed. ( )
  SisGoldenhair | Jun 28, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765319721, Paperback)

Philosophers have said that we travel through our lives, past and present, surrounded by the same souls, that we spend each new life trying to mend the hurts we’ve done to one another in the past. In The Boundless Deep, Kate Brallier explores this idea in a combination of strong storytelling and gifted characterization.

Grad student Liza has long been plagued by vivid dreams of whaling. Offered the chance to trade her land-locked existence for a summer on Nantucket, the well-preserved heart of New England’s whaling trade, Liza jumps at the chance, eager to see how well her dreams mesh with historical reality.

The answer is: all too well. Liza’s dreams become highly sexual; her visions of ship’s captain Obadiah Young grow increasingly intense. At times the past and present mix before her eyes, with automobiles replaced by horse-drawn carriages.

Though skeptical of Liza’s claims of a past life, whaling museum curator Adam is drawn to Liza’s intense desire to know the truth—about herself, and about Obadiah, accused of murdering his beautiful, young wife.  But Adam isn’t the only man with an interest in Liza—handsome Lucian, whose home Liza is sharing for the season, has designs on her as well.

In a single summer, Liza must answer the riddle of her dreams, reunite lovers separated by death, solve a hundred-year-old murder . . . and figure out her heart’s desire.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:24 -0400)

Grad student Liza has long been plagued by vivid dreams of whaling, depsite never having been to the sea. When offered the opportunity to spend a summer on Nantucket, the onetime heart of New England's whaling trade, Liza accepts, eager to see how well her dreams mesh with reality. In a single summer, Liza must unravel the riddle of her dreams, reunite lovers separated by death, solve a hundred-year-old murder, and figure out her heart's desire.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,921,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible