Till We have Faces... A Myth Retold by C. S…

Till We have Faces... A Myth Retold (original 1956; edition 1966)

by C. S Lewis

5,389114808 (4.24)2 / 196
Title:Till We have Faces... A Myth Retold
Authors:C. S Lewis
Info:Time Inc (1966), Paperback, 275 pages

Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis (1956)

Recently added byJoycejl, nsenger, private library, bentley06, cinducil, Lasrus, The_Lions_Mane, Bokayokay
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding, C. S. Lewis
    Phantastes and Lilith, two novels by George MacDonald (charlie68)
    Cupid by Julius Lester (raizel)
    raizel: A retelling of the Psyche and Cupid myth; Lester's version is for a younger (teen
    The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus by Margaret Atwood (AnnaClaire)
    AnnaClaire: A different author retelling a different myth, but they still seem to fit together nicely.
    Mythology by Edith Hamilton (sibyllacumaea)
    Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: Both are stories of strong, motherless women with dysfunctional families who play a part in a mythical tale

English (112)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (114)
This is one of the best books I've ever read. It's a masterful retelling of Psyche and Cupid. I couldn't put it down. It never leaves my TBR pile. ( )
  tamarah71 | Sep 5, 2016 |
“I had at least loved Psyche truly. There, if nowhere else, I had the right of it and the gods were in the wrong.”

What a fantastic book. My favorite book so far this year. C.S. Lewis has never failed me before and I don't know why I have waited so long to read more of his books. This was such a beautiful book. I looked into a bit his reasons for writing this book and I loved his retelling. This is a story of true sisterly love, and how Orual was blinded by that love. The most effective part of the story for me was Fox teaching Orual that one must never use threat in persuasion. And Orual faced the consequences of doing just that. The writing was so wonderful and complex, yet it was so easy to read. I recommend this to any C.S. Lewis lovers.

“But I was wrong to weep and beg and try to force you by your love. Love is not a thing to be so used.” ( )
  Ahtoosa | Aug 29, 2016 |
I was unaware that this was a retelling of the myth of Psyche and read it as a story about the selfishness of jealousy. I found the work quite a good book, and not pretentious, a tribute to the author's skill. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Aug 23, 2016 |
Probably the best book I've ever read. ( )
  chronoceros | Jul 15, 2016 |
While I enjoyed this book overall, I was more than once irritated by the author's blatant Christian overtones, which felt out of place in a book based on a myth of Greek gods. ( )
  k0sborn | Jun 30, 2016 |

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
de Luca, AraldoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eichenberg, FritzCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindholm, AndersCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Love is too young to know what conscience is"
To Joy Davidman
Joy Davidman
I am old now and have not much to fear from the anger of gods.
(Food for the gods must always be found somehow, even when the land starves.)
Now mark yet again the cruelty of the gods. There is no escape from them into sleep or madness, for they can pursue you into them with dreams. Indeed you are then most at their mercy. The nearest thing we have to a defence against them (but there is no real defence) is to be very wide awake and sober and hard at work, to hear no music, never to look at earth or sky, and (above all) to love no one.
Weakness, and work, are two comforts the gods have not taken from us.
To love, and to lose what we love, are equally things appointed for our nature. If we cannot bear the second well, that evil is ours.
The sight of the huge world put mad ideas into me; as if I could wander away, wander for ever, see strange and beautiful things, one after the other to the world's end.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156904365, Paperback)

At once more human and more mythic than his Perelandra trilogy, Lewis's short novel of love, faith, and transformation (both good and ill) offers the reader much food for thought in a compact, impressively rich story. Less heavy-handedly Christian-allegorical than Narnia, Till We Have Faces gives us characters who remind us of people we know facing choices and difficulties we recognize. This deceptively simple book takes on new depth with each rereading.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:30 -0400)

From the Publisher: This tale of two princesses-one beautiful and one unattractive-and of the struggle between sacred and profane love is Lewis's reworking of the myth of Cupid and Psyche and one of his most enduring works.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

275 wanted5 pay10 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,812,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible