Till We have Faces... A Myth Retold by C. S…

Till We have Faces... A Myth Retold (original 1956; edition 1966)

by C. S Lewis

4,984106917 (4.25)2 / 194
Member:BobNolin
Title:Till We have Faces... A Myth Retold
Authors:C. S Lewis
Info:Time Inc (1966), Paperback, 275 pages

Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis (1956)

Recently added bykuipers5, heidezl, SantaCruzFriends, sapalot, saturnine13, private library, Ross_242, sandra.k.heinzman
Legacy LibrariesC. S. Lewis
    Phantastes and Lilith, two novels by George MacDonald (charlie68)
    Cupid by Julius Lester (raizel)
    raizel: A retelling of the Psyche and Cupid myth; Lester's version is for a younger (teen
    Mythology by Edith Hamilton (sibyllacumaea)
    The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus by Margaret Atwood (AnnaClaire)
    AnnaClaire: A different author retelling a different myth, but they still seem to fit together nicely.
    Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: Both are stories of strong, motherless women with dysfunctional families who play a part in a mythical tale

English (103)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (105)
Till We Have Faces; a novel of Cupid and Psyche. C. S. Lewis. 1956. I have spend far too much time saying I don’t like fantasy and myth. This was a wonderful book! Lewis is a gifted stylist and just reading the book was a pleasure. Like the other books we have read in Dipso, we looked for aspects that reflect Christianity. Tolkien felt that myth was an “imperfect reflection of what is revealed in the Gospel.” Lewis used the myth of Cupid and Psyche explore his idea of the four kinds of love. For a full discussion of this see “C.S. Lewis’s Till We Have Faces and the Transformation of Love” in Logos 14:4 Fall, 2011. ( )
  judithrs | Feb 19, 2015 |
I enjoyed this retelling of the Pysche and Cupid myth. I especially liked seeing the story from Psyche's sister Orual's POV and thus learning about her motivation, which was lacking from the original.

However, maybe because I had just read the original story in [b:The Golden Ass|741223|The Golden Ass|Apuleius|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1177899975s/741223.jpg|1741202], I found myself a bit bored because there really wasn't that much added to the original in regards to actual plot. It was almost all fleshing out of the story, which as I said was good, but just didn't hook my interest since I knew where the story was heading. I think the story would have seemed much more interesting though if I didn't already know the myth.

The only thing new I found in regards to plot was around the last 10-15 pages which ended on, what was for me, a very preachy note that isn't my cup of tea. It felt a bit unnecessary and tacked on. I feel like the rest of the retelling could have stood on its own just fine without the religious message at the end, but of course I understand that coming from C.S. Lewis, it's practically required.

Overall though, even with the end, the retelling is written well and is a good version of the story especially for readers who are new to the mythology of Cupid and Pysche. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
This is one of my new favorite books. I adore Lewis' theological works, and it goes without saying that Narnia was a staple of my childhood. To me, this bridges the gap between the two; it's a compelling and engaging story told from the point of view of a character with whom it is easy to relate, and yet it also spins in speculations on the character of man and God. ( )
  bookworm4210 | Nov 19, 2014 |
The only other work by Lewis I have read is the Narnia series, something I adored as a child (until I got to the end) but do not adore as an adult. Till We Have Faces is excellent in some senses and not in others: it is well-written and emotional, as other reviewers have pointed out. I was disturbed by the heavy Christian overlay on the myth, which was originally a fairy tale of the "Beauty and the Beast" variety, itself overlaid with the symbolism of the New Religions of Antiquity to become an allegory of the Soul's (Psyche) hunger for Divine Love (Cupid or Eros). All that is still in Lewis's tale, but I'm not a Christian, and I don't appreciate the casual cultural assumptions of the dominant religion in this country. Make no mistake: despite the absence of explicit Christianity, this is an implicitly Christian allegory, with a goodly dollop of theodicy. (Lewis' answer to the problem of suffering is that if you don't like your life it's your own fault. and not god's.)

Really, I should have expected this from Lewis, who is known as a specifically Christian writer. If Till We Have Faces had been poorly written, or explicitly Christian I would have just read it and moved on. But the sympathetic heroine--I think everyone can see themselves in Orual--and superb writing, counterweighted by an emotional but alien religious message, practically led me to a state of cognitive dissonance. ( )
  IreneF | Oct 23, 2014 |

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
de Luca, AraldoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eichenberg, FritzCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindholm, AndersCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Love is too young to know what conscience is"
--Shakespeare
To Joy Davidman
Joy Davidman
I am old now and have not much to fear from the anger of gods.
(Food for the gods must always be found somehow, even when the land starves.)
Now mark yet again the cruelty of the gods. There is no escape from them into sleep or madness, for they can pursue you into them with dreams. Indeed you are then most at their mercy. The nearest thing we have to a defence against them (but there is no real defence) is to be very wide awake and sober and hard at work, to hear no music, never to look at earth or sky, and (above all) to love no one.
Weakness, and work, are two comforts the gods have not taken from us.
To love, and to lose what we love, are equally things appointed for our nature. If we cannot bear the second well, that evil is ours.
The sight of the huge world put mad ideas into me; as if I could wander away, wander for ever, see strange and beautiful things, one after the other to the world's end.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156904365, Paperback)

At once more human and more mythic than his Perelandra trilogy, Lewis's short novel of love, faith, and transformation (both good and ill) offers the reader much food for thought in a compact, impressively rich story. Less heavy-handedly Christian-allegorical than Narnia, Till We Have Faces gives us characters who remind us of people we know facing choices and difficulties we recognize. This deceptively simple book takes on new depth with each rereading.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:29 -0400)

From the Publisher: This tale of two princesses-one beautiful and one unattractive-and of the struggle between sacred and profane love is Lewis's reworking of the myth of Cupid and Psyche and one of his most enduring works.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,556,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible