White Queen (Aleutian Trilogy, Book 1) by…

White Queen (Aleutian Trilogy, Book 1) (original 1991; edition 1998)

by Gwyneth Jones

198559,376 (3.11)29
Member:salimbol
Title:White Queen (Aleutian Trilogy, Book 1)
Authors:Gwyneth Jones
Info:Gollancz (1998), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Once owned, Read but unowned
Tags:novels, science fiction, aliens, gender issues, female authors, 20th century books, 2013 reading

White Queen by Gwyneth Jones (1991)

Tiptree winner 1991 ( )
  SChant | May 8, 2013 |
As intelligent and uncompromising as any of Gwyneth Jones' other works, this boasts the creation of a* truly* alien society, and examines the tragic misunderstandings that ensue when humanity and aliens make first contact while labouring under some fundamentally flawed assumptions. It has her usual searing and frequently discomfort-inducing treatments of politics and sexuality, and some solid characterisation and carefully-considered world-building.
I admire the hell out of her writing, but (small confession) I don't necessarily enjoy reading her books all that much. However, she *always* provides me with food for thought, and that is why I'll continue to read her work. ( )
  salimbol | Feb 25, 2013 |
It's 2038. and aliens have mysteriously appeared among us. Among those trying to figure out what they want and what their presence means are a cynical reporter and a guy who may or may not be infected with a virus that can damage the organic components used in computer technology.

The world-building here is is interesting and pretty well done, and the aliens are gratifyingly alien (in their mindset, if not necessarily in their appearance). But I just could not get into this one anywhere near as much as I'd hoped to. It's a little too dense, a little too indirect and cryptic, a little too full of dialog that seems carefully crafted to sound profound, but not carefully crafted to sound like dialog. When that sort of thing works, it can work very well, but in this case it just never really came together for me into anything that felt coherent. It's an interesting book, most certainly, but also a slightly frustrating one. Ultimately I'm not at all sure quite what to make of it. ( )
  bragan | Aug 9, 2012 |

started off very much enjoying the well-constructed future Earth of the story - the decayed America, the peculiar infections, the African setting for many of the chapters, the aliens who are more than human and less than human in various ways, the central character who is a newsblogger avant la lettre. But I didn't quite feel that the plot then did much with this promising elements. Perhaps it's just that I got to it towards the end of a long plane flight, but I also remember having much the same reaction to Bold As Love. ( )
  nwhyte | Oct 22, 2011 |

Gwyneth Jonesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Farren, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 057560378X, Paperback)

It's 2038 and the earth has been devastated by tectonic shifts accompanied by earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. The U.S. has undergone a socialist revolution, retro-viruses are rampant and most technology relies on a powerful organic "clay" instead of microprocessors. When aliens land near American-exile Johnny Guglio's adopted African home, Braemar Wilson, a cutthroat reporter, befriends him to get a jump on the story. Though no one knows the alien's intent, White Queen, an anti-alien group, begins working to undermine human trust. Even as ambassadors from both worlds talk, Braemar and Johnny must work together find themselves in a unique position to uncover the truth. The book won the 1991 James Tiptree Jr. Award.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:14 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible