A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold by George…

A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold (original 2000; edition 2000)

by George R. R. Martin

Title:A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold
Authors:George R. R. Martin
Info:HarperCollins Publishers (2011), Paperback, 656 pages

A Storm of Swords Part 2: Blood and Gold by George R. R. Martin (2000)

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (LeftHandedMatt)
    LeftHandedMatt: More humourous and lighter in tone than A Song of Ice and Fire, but the world and it's characters are just as wonderfully detailed as those by George R. R. Martin, and the story remains exciting throughout.
    The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett (LeftHandedMatt)

English (37)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (41)
Whilst the Song of Ice and Fire books of course have their own pre-existing following, I imagine that many people now deciding to read this book will do so due to the success of the television series Game of Thrones, as I did. Therefore, I will not provide an ordinary review but try to give my impressions of the book as someone who had already been exposed to the television adaptation. Consequently, there may be spoilers for those who haven't seen the show.

Part Two of A Storm of Swords is a new and strange experience for me: the first of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire books that I have read before its contents have been adapted onto screen. The fourth season of the HBO series Game of Thrones kicks off next year, and so for the first time I have read one of the books without prior knowledge of how it would develop. Thankfully, I adored the book; the plot twists and changes were new and shocking to me, and I can't wait to see how they pan out on screen. The Tyrion Lannister and Jon Snow storylines are particularly exciting (I just know Peter Dinklage is going to nail it), with Daenerys not far behind, and the new character of Oberyn Martell will no doubt prove to be memorable. Oberyn's character arc demonstrates that if Martin insists on killing off a lot of good characters (A Storm of Swords, Part Two certainly has the highest number of major-character deaths so far), he is at least replacing them with other good ones. Coldhands, if he is indeed depicted in the show, will also be an intriguing and enigmatic addition, whilst the book's epilogue, along with the final scenes with Tyrion and Arya, open up a lot of possibilities. Some plot points are resolved satisfyingly (who provided the knife that was used in the attempt on Bran's life, for example) while others are teasingly dangled before us (who Jon Snow's mother was).

One thing I was disappointed about was the Theon Greyjoy plotline - or rather, the lack of it. There are no Theon chapters and the Second Greyjoy Rebellion is covered only in other characters' second-hand remarks (despite there being a few important developments on Pyke). There is also less going on with both Bran and Arya, though they both have their moments. But by and large the story remains as thrilling as ever. My review for this book has been shorter than the previous ones, as I don't want to inadvertently give away any spoilers, and a lot of the best things about the book cannot be adequately discussed without doing so. Even if they could, there's so many fascinating things going on in these pages that I'd have to write a lengthy tome just to address even half of them. The series remains easy to read and a real page-turner, and I just know that by the time I finish A Feast for Crows and the two volumes of A Dance with Dragons, I will be jonesing for more and more. These books really are something special. Oh, and Littlefinger is one magnificent bastard. ( )
  MikeFutcher | Oct 16, 2016 |
For other reviews and bookish things go to http://youmaysayimareader.blogspot.com

"In King’s Landing, there are two sorts of people. The players and the pieces." Something weird happens to me with these books. I love them, but when I'm reading them it's like: "Dear God... It's sooo fucking long... Love it. Why I don't feel like reading it right now, or tomorrow? Love it. Who is this character again? Love it. Dear God... It's sooo fucking long..."

Then I finish them and always give them 5 star ratings because they're just that amazing.

When I start reading another book not in these series, I find myself thinking about them all the time and really missing the stories and the characters.

And then, when I start the next one, It's the same all over again. The oh so fucking long, but love it, the who the hell is this character, but love it, the why I'm not reading something easy and not super-depressing, but love it. 5 stars. Miss it again.

Pretty weird. Anyway, let's start with the review, shall we?

"If we leave our smells behind us when we leave a room, surely something of our souls must remain when we leave this life?" Happens soooo much stuff in this book, too much for my poor little desperate soul. I watched the tv show before reading the book so I knew what was coming (winter? lol? not lol?), but that didn't lessen the wreckage that were my emotions at the end.

So what is this book about, you ask?

(SPOILERS if you haven't read the previous ones)

The War of the Five Kings continues. In King's Landing, with King Joffrey Baratheon in the Iron Throne and Tywin Lannister commanding the troops, are celebrating their victory against Stannis Baratheon. But not all Lannisters feel that happy and safe.

Stannis Baratheon, King in the Narrow Sea, licks his wounds after losing the battle and keeps playing with fire.

Robb Stark, King of the North, is worried because although he is winning all the battles, he may still lose the war.

Meanwhile, Jon Snow and the Night's Watch defend the Wall and fight against hordes of Wildlings and sacrifice themselves for the safaty of all.

And Daenerys Targaryen, the Mother of Dragons, wants to build a great army to return to her land and claim her right to the Iron Throne.

"Jamie Lannister sends his regards." The plot keeps you guessing, unless you have watched the show, then there aren't a lot of surprises, but it's still good.

In a book that has so much battle planning and political stuff I don't usually care about, it's never boring.

Yes, the plot and all the twists and turns of this book (and all the books of the series) are great, but for me the best part are the characters.

This book makes you love some characters even more, makes you start to love people you didn't think you would and makes you hate some of them like a LOT. But you're interested in all of them.

I mean, there are a shitload of characters and I care about every single one of their stories. So much pain. Too much pain.

I love you, [a:George R.R. Martin|346732|George R.R. Martin|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1351944410p2/346732.jpg], but I hate you with the burning passion of a thousand suns. But I love you, you cruel motherfuc...

"The only game. The game of thrones." S. ( )
  youmaysayimareader | Sep 15, 2016 |
This was much better than part 1 of Book 3 and took the story forward in a big way. Quite a few major changes in the series took place in the book and it was well set up for the next book with a big twist right at the end. Eager to get onto book 4 now. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Sep 2, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
for Phyllis who made me put the dragons in
Her Dothraki scouts had told her how it was, but Dany wanted to see for herself.
This is the work "A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold". Do not combine with the one-volume-edition "A Storm of Swords" or witht he first part "A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow".

The third volume of Martin's beloved fantasy saga. Four contend for power over the Iron Throne and the Land of the Seven Kingdoms; alliances shift, and betrayal is always an option. House Lannister's head, Joffrey, rules uneasily. Joffrey's enemy, Lord Stannis, is disgraced and enthralled. Robb of House Stark still rules the North, implacable in his enmity towards his Lannister foes, even as they hold his sister hostage. And the exiled queen Daenerys, mistress of the world's last three dragons, makes her way across a blood-drenched continent. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, there appears an army of barbaric wildlings, led by undead Others. The unpredictable violence of a final cataclysm is inevitable; the one certain thing is that many men will die upon many swords.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,765,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible