A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold by George…

A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold (original 2000; edition 2000)

by George R. R. Martin

Member:Wolfman08
Title:A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold
Authors:George R. R. Martin
Info:HarperCollins Publishers (2011), Paperback, 656 pages
Rating:***1/2

A Storm of Swords Part 2: Blood and Gold by George R. R. Martin (2000)

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (LeftHandedMatt)
    LeftHandedMatt: More humourous and lighter in tone than A Song of Ice and Fire, but the world and it's characters are just as wonderfully detailed as those by George R. R. Martin, and the story remains exciting throughout.
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (LeftHandedMatt)

English (36)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (40)
For other reviews and bookish things go to http://youmaysayimareader.blogspot.com

"In King’s Landing, there are two sorts of people. The players and the pieces." Something weird happens to me with these books. I love them, but when I'm reading them it's like: "Dear God... It's sooo fucking long... Love it. Why I don't feel like reading it right now, or tomorrow? Love it. Who is this character again? Love it. Dear God... It's sooo fucking long..."

Then I finish them and always give them 5 star ratings because they're just that amazing.

When I start reading another book not in these series, I find myself thinking about them all the time and really missing the stories and the characters.

And then, when I start the next one, It's the same all over again. The oh so fucking long, but love it, the who the hell is this character, but love it, the why I'm not reading something easy and not super-depressing, but love it. 5 stars. Miss it again.

Pretty weird. Anyway, let's start with the review, shall we?

"If we leave our smells behind us when we leave a room, surely something of our souls must remain when we leave this life?" Happens soooo much stuff in this book, too much for my poor little desperate soul. I watched the tv show before reading the book so I knew what was coming (winter? lol? not lol?), but that didn't lessen the wreckage that were my emotions at the end.

So what is this book about, you ask?

(SPOILERS if you haven't read the previous ones)

The War of the Five Kings continues. In King's Landing, with King Joffrey Baratheon in the Iron Throne and Tywin Lannister commanding the troops, are celebrating their victory against Stannis Baratheon. But not all Lannisters feel that happy and safe.

Stannis Baratheon, King in the Narrow Sea, licks his wounds after losing the battle and keeps playing with fire.

Robb Stark, King of the North, is worried because although he is winning all the battles, he may still lose the war.

Meanwhile, Jon Snow and the Night's Watch defend the Wall and fight against hordes of Wildlings and sacrifice themselves for the safaty of all.

And Daenerys Targaryen, the Mother of Dragons, wants to build a great army to return to her land and claim her right to the Iron Throne.

"Jamie Lannister sends his regards." The plot keeps you guessing, unless you have watched the show, then there aren't a lot of surprises, but it's still good.

In a book that has so much battle planning and political stuff I don't usually care about, it's never boring.

Yes, the plot and all the twists and turns of this book (and all the books of the series) are great, but for me the best part are the characters.

This book makes you love some characters even more, makes you start to love people you didn't think you would and makes you hate some of them like a LOT. But you're interested in all of them.

I mean, there are a shitload of characters and I care about every single one of their stories. So much pain. Too much pain.

I love you, [a:George R.R. Martin|346732|George R.R. Martin|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1351944410p2/346732.jpg], but I hate you with the burning passion of a thousand suns. But I love you, you cruel motherfuc...

"The only game. The game of thrones." S. ( )
  youmaysayimareader | Sep 15, 2016 |
This was much better than part 1 of Book 3 and took the story forward in a big way. Quite a few major changes in the series took place in the book and it was well set up for the next book with a big twist right at the end. Eager to get onto book 4 now. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Sep 2, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
Half a book so this is half a revi-

-ew. Goodreads is treating them as one book. Puzzling.

Best epic fantasy novel ever bar none! So much stuff happens! Then more stuff happens! Bloody amazing! ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
for Phyllis who made me put the dragons in
Her Dothraki scouts had told her how it was, but Dany wanted to see for herself.
This is the work "A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold". Do not combine with the one-volume-edition "A Storm of Swords" or witht he first part "A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow".

The third volume of Martin's beloved fantasy saga. Four contend for power over the Iron Throne and the Land of the Seven Kingdoms; alliances shift, and betrayal is always an option. House Lannister's head, Joffrey, rules uneasily. Joffrey's enemy, Lord Stannis, is disgraced and enthralled. Robb of House Stark still rules the North, implacable in his enmity towards his Lannister foes, even as they hold his sister hostage. And the exiled queen Daenerys, mistress of the world's last three dragons, makes her way across a blood-drenched continent. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, there appears an army of barbaric wildlings, led by undead Others. The unpredictable violence of a final cataclysm is inevitable; the one certain thing is that many men will die upon many swords.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,172,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible