A Storm of Swords: Part 2 Blood and Gold…

A Storm of Swords: Part 2 Blood and Gold (Reissue) (A Song of Ice and… (original 2000; edition 2011)

by George R. R. Martin

Title:A Storm of Swords: Part 2 Blood and Gold (Reissue) (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3)
Authors:George R. R. Martin
Info:Harper Voyager (2011), Paperback, 656 pages
Tags:library, epic, fantasy

A Storm of Swords Part 2: Blood and Gold by George R. R. Martin (2000)

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (LeftHandedMatt)
    LeftHandedMatt: More humourous and lighter in tone than A Song of Ice and Fire, but the world and it's characters are just as wonderfully detailed as those by George R. R. Martin, and the story remains exciting throughout.
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (LeftHandedMatt)

English (29)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (33)
This is the second volume in the third book, in George R R Martin's idiosyncratic numbering system. While Part 1 Steel and Snow was rather slow moving and seemed to tread water, Part 2 Blood and Gold, after a slightly slow start, contained a lot of dramatic and horrifying events, especially surrounding the Red Wedding and King Joffrey Baratheon's wedding. A couple of my favourite characters' fates hung in the balance, but they have made it to the end of the novel. The ending sets the scene for some interesting new directions in the next book, which I may well read sooner than the six month gap I left between the two parts of Book 3. ( )
  john257hopper | Aug 12, 2015 |
ARRASADOR. O número de reviravoltas na história, as mortes brutais que ocorrem e que me fizeram pensar de que forma o autor pode continuar com a história sem estas personagens, agarrou-me duma forma extraordinária.
É um livro extraordinário duma saga que fica na literatura como uma das melhores sagas de fantasia ou história fantástica de todos os tempos ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
If you take both parts together, this is an enormous novel. And in many ways it is the most dramatic so far - with many favourite characters dying (apparently) and others coming into their own. As usual, the creative detail is staggering, with this alternative world feeling so incredibly real, despite the fantasy elements. The number of characters are overwhelming as are the plotlines. I would have thought after watching the TV series that I would be able to keep track of all these different players. I was wrong. Nevertheless, it is still an incredible feast of a story, a stupendous achievement over the various volumes.

There is little point recounting the plot, as it is so vast and would include so many spoilers. I will just say that this very much continues as a very adult, very mature, three-dimensional interaction between a set of fascinating real characters, with a deeply intriguing, yet often subtle fantasy element. I can't wait to read the next volume. ( )
  RachDan | Jun 25, 2015 |
Poucas pessoas sabem a aventura que foi para mim ler este livro. Já li muito e sempre gostei de algum drama nas histórias, algumas desgraças e maldades, que fazem parte da vida real. Afinal, já ninguém acredita em contos de fadas. Mas regressando ao livro... Algumas pessoas tomaram a liberdade de me aconselhar a não me apegar às personagens, falaram-me da genialidade do GRRM e do colosso que é este livro. Tinham razão em tudo. Contudo, é impossível não nos apaixonarmos por estas personagens tão ricas e, esse mesmo facto, levou a que estivesse meses sem pegar neste livro! Nunca tal me aconteceu... E isso marca o génio deste escritor maravilhoso. Apesar das contrariedades, continuamos agarrados à história e às personagens, querendo sempre saber mais e mais ainda. Aqui estou eu a dar 5 estrelas a um livro que me fez experimentar um sem número de sensações e que me obrigou a metê-lo de lado uns tempos. Não é assim que funcionam as grandes histórias? ( )
  SaraVieira | May 5, 2015 |
Much quicker pace. Action packed!! ( )
  bkmeredith | Oct 23, 2014 |
for Phyllis who made me put the dragons in
Her Dothraki scouts had told her how it was, but Dany wanted to see for herself.
This is the work "A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold". Do not combine with the one-volume-edition "A Storm of Swords" or witht he first part "A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow".

The third volume of Martin's beloved fantasy saga. Four contend for power over the Iron Throne and the Land of the Seven Kingdoms; alliances shift, and betrayal is always an option. House Lannister's head, Joffrey, rules uneasily. Joffrey's enemy, Lord Stannis, is disgraced and enthralled. Robb of House Stark still rules the North, implacable in his enmity towards his Lannister foes, even as they hold his sister hostage. And the exiled queen Daenerys, mistress of the world's last three dragons, makes her way across a blood-drenched continent. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, there appears an army of barbaric wildlings, led by undead Others. The unpredictable violence of a final cataclysm is inevitable; the one certain thing is that many men will die upon many swords.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,753,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible