When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David…

When You Are Engulfed in Flames (original 2008; edition 2008)

by David Sedaris

Member:Dragonfillet
Title:When You Are Engulfed in Flames
Authors:David Sedaris
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2008), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 336 pages

When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris (2008)

Recently added bymousehouse, LTietz, zshad, crypt_fiend, private library, Alaina83, FarihaImami
    Dry: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: These two nonfiction books deal with giving up a vice (alcohol and, to a lesser extent, drugs for Burroughs; cigarettes for Sedaris) and both do so with dark humor scattered throughout their memoirs. That being said, Sedaris's work is more funny than serious while the opposite is true for Burroughs's. Also, Sedaris's book is largely short stories/vignettes while Burroughs's follows a more traditional narrative. Both men are homosexual and that plays some factor in their books, although it's not the overarching story and/or theme.… (more)
    Swish: My Quest to Become the Gayest Person Ever by Joel Derfner (echo2)
    Fraud: Essays by David Rakoff (Cynara)

English (206)  Dutch (1)  All languages (207)
More adventures of David and Hugh! Hugh is my favorite--the man must be a saint. I find myself waffling between love and hate for David. He is a terrible person, but then he says something that hits so close to home that I find myself laughing out loud because it's so relatable.

Lots of funny vignettes in this one. I think my favorites were the airplane lady, his parents' art collection, and his landlady, Helen, but they all gave me a chuckle. Typical Sedaris fare--give it a read. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
This was just what I was looking for. The book cracked me up on page 3 and I was laughing intermittently through the whole thing. Why have I never read any Sedaris before? His descriptions of everyday incidents and inner musings on them are simply hilarious. Yes, sometimes they made me cringe, and after reading his description of cadavers I am not at all sure I want to dive into Mary Roach's Stiff (been on my list for ages) but I certainly got my giggles again. This book doesn't have a plot, it's just a collection of little snippets from his life. Sometimes the segues surprised me, but they always wrap around again at the end of each chapter in a satisfying way. He goes into things like emnities with neighbors, awkward seating situations on airline flights, feeding a spider on his windowsill, buying a skeleton for his boyfriend, watching nature documentaries, the reactions people have when they learn he's gay, visiting Japan, taking language classes, attempts to quit smoking and so much more.

I don't really know what to say other than: do you need something amusing? Read Sedaris.

from the DogEar Diary ( )
  jeane | Sep 27, 2014 |
technically I'm LISTENING to this book, which I honestly think improves the experience with Sedaris's books, because you get his impeccable delivery. ( )
  lexmccall | Sep 3, 2014 |
Not my favorite of his books. Still has the Sedaris charm and wit but it didn't have the oomph of my favorite books he has written. I wouldn't recommend this one as a starter for picking up a Sedaris book, but entertaining no matter what. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
The professor said to read as much of this as we could. In 5 days I read it all. Hilarious. Couldn't put it down. I am most struck by his ability to create something hilarious out of simple things, like flicking cigarette butts and sneezing with a cough drop in your mouth (something I think we have all done at least once). ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
For Ronnie Ruedrich
My friend Patsy was telling me a story.

"David Sedaris's ability to transform the mortification of everyday life into wildly entertaining art," (The Christian Science Monitor) is elevated to wilder and more entertaining heights than ever in this remarkable new book.
Trying to make coffee when the water is shut off, David considers using the water in a vase of flowers and his chain of associations takes him from the French countryside to a hilariously uncomfortable memory of buying drugs in a mobile home in rural North Carolina. In essay after essay, Sedaris proceeds from bizarre conundrums of daily life-having a lozenge fall from your mouth into the lap of a fellow passenger on a plane or armoring the windows with LP covers to protect the house from neurotic songbirds-to the most deeply resonant human truths. Culminating in a brilliant account of his venture to Tokyo in order to quit smoking, David Sedaris's sixth essay collection is a new masterpiece of comic writing from "a writer worth treasuring" (Seattle Times).

Praise for When You Are Engulfed in Flames:

"Older, wiser, smarter and meaner, Sedaris...defies the odds once again by delivering an intelligent take on the banalities of an absurd life." --Kirkus Reviews

This latest collection proves that not only does Sedaris still have it, but he's also getting better....Sedaris's best stuff will still--after all this time--move, surprise, and entertain." --Booklist

Table of Contents:

It's Catching
Keeping Up
The Understudy
This Old House
Buddy, Can You Spare a Tie?
Road Trips
April in Paris
Crybaby
Old Faithful
The Smoking Section

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:49 -0400)

A collection of essays celebrates the foibles of the author's everyday life in France and America, from an attempt to make coffee with water from a flower vase to a drug purchase in a North Carolina mobile home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,442,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible