White Noise by Don DeLillo

White Noise (1985)

by Don DeLillo

8,491118553 (3.78)1 / 308
    Crash by J.G. Ballard (ateolf)
    Blindness by José Saramago (chrisharpe)
    Ubik by Philip K. Dick (ateolf)
    Underworld by Don DeLillo (David_Cain)
    David_Cain: Everything good in White Noise is better in Underworld

English (113)  Finnish (2)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (116)
I thought this book was very amusing. ( )
  nheredia05 | Jun 12, 2018 |
It was good while it lasted. ( )
  alik-fuchs | Apr 27, 2018 |
I have a really hard time with these types of books. It had no real plot. It just sort of meandered along with all of the characters being hopelessly cynical about life and death. I felt like the author could have made his point in 100 pages rather than three times that many. Maybe it is me - I just don't enjoy a book where the characters take no real joy out of life. Especially when that seems to be the point of the book. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
This one was interesting. There were times in the middle of reading that moments seemed slow and dragged. But when reflecting on parts of it, it seems so modern and relevant to today's world, which is kind of scary considering when this was published. At first it seems like you get these little vignettes, a glimpse in the life of this family, but then you realize there's something a little off about them and the entire setting. It's about death and our fear of it, technology and how we rely on it, how it can change the family dynamic and way we communicate with each other. Funny at times, sad, scary and sometimes a little too real while totally bizarre at other times. ( )
  ctkjs | Jan 3, 2018 |
Said a lot about technology, consumerism, and the environment; however, the biggest subject it touched on was the inevitable fact of death and how it's something we all fear and sometimes try to avoid in our own way. ( )
1 vote hay16mc | Feb 13, 2017 |
The book is so funny, so mysterious, so right, so disturbing … and yet so enjoyable it has somehow survived being cut open for twenty-five years by critics and post-grads. All of that theoretical poking and prodding, all of that po-mo-simulacra-ambiguity vivisection can’t touch the thrill of reading it

''White Noise,'' his eighth novel, is the story of a college professor and his family whose small Midwestern town is evacuated after an industrial accident. In light of the recent Union Carbide disaster in India that killed over 2,000 and injured thousands more, ''White Noise'' seems all the more timely and frightening - precisely because of its totally American concerns, its rendering of a particularly American numbness.

To Sue Buck and to Lois Wallace
The station wagons arrived at noon, a long shining line that coursed through the west campus.
"The greater the scientific advance, the more primitive the fear". Jack to Babette when talking about genetically engineered micro-organisms that would digest the 'airborne toxic event'.
"The airborne toxic event is a horrifying thing. Our fear is enormous. Even if there hasn't been great loss of life, don't we deserve some attention for our suffering, our human worry, our terror? Isn't fear news?" Television carrying man's speech when the family is stranded in Iron City.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140077022, Paperback)

Better than any book I can think of, White Noise captures the particular strangeness of life in a time where humankind has finally learned enough to kill itself. Naturally, it's a terribly funny book, and the prose is as beautiful as a sunset through a particulate-filled sky. Nice-guy narrator Jack Gladney teaches Hitler Studies at a small college. His wife may be taking a drug that removes fear, and one day a nearby chemical plant accidentally releases a cloud of gas that may be poisonous. Writing before Bhopal and Prozac entered the popular lexicon, DeLillo produced a work so closely tuned into its time that it tells the future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:07 -0400)

The Gladney's family life is disrupted and threatened when an industrial accident sends a lethal cloud over their community. Jack Gladney struggles with the ensuing complications which include murder.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,827,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible