The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory

The Other Queen

by Philippa Gregory

Series: The Tudor Court Novels - chronological (7)

The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory (tina1969)
    tina1969: This is the story of Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard through the eyes of Jane Rocford. A lot more enjoyable read than The Other Queen.
    Behind the Curtain by Kay Macaulife (KayCliff)

English (90)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  All (92)
I've been reading this book now for 3.5 weeks, when it really should have only taken me a day or two. The action is very slow, there's not a lot of time for development of the characters. I could not get emotionally invested in any of the three main characters telling the tale. Each chapter is incredibly short, and this drove me nuts throughout the book.

I love Mary, and I love anything vaguely Tudor, so I've been wanting to read this book for a while. I wasn't crazy about the back-and-forth taking-turns-telling-the-story in the Boleyn Inheritance, and I was so disappointed when I realized that this book was more of the same.

The story moves so slowly, that I was bored throughout most of the book. Only my stubbornness & love for Gregory's other books, made me force myself to continue.

As others have said, if you are really interested in the history or Mary, or if you are in general a Gregory fan as I am, then the book is absolutely worth reading. It's not a good book to try, if you've never read one of hers before. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
I have to read her other books- thoroughly enjoyable historical fiction ( )
  Michelle_Wendt | Jun 15, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
http://www.BookCrossing.com/journal/13839472 ( )
  jldhuse | Jun 7, 2016 |
I enjoyed the story behind this novel. It was very well-written and interesting. I really enjoyed Bess's character. She was definitely my favorite. My only complaint was that Mary, Queen of Scots seemed very whiny in the audio version. That might have been intentional, but it did get annoying in parts. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
This story of Mary, Queen of Scots, totally kept my interest. Mary became the Queen of Scotland as an infant, but due to unrest is sent to France where she marries the young Francis who dies leaving her a widow at 18. The rest of her life is turmoil. She has claims to the throne of France, Scotland, and England as she is the granddaughter of Henry VIII's sister. Mary is pretty, charming, and speaks several languages. She is also conniving and self-important.

This is also the time of great struggle between the Reformers and the Catholic Church. Mary, is Catholic and wants to rule as a Catholic. Elizabeth I maintains a more balanced rule favoring the Reformers. The religious struggles are a vital part of the story.

Much of "The Other Queen" centers on Mary's captivity in England where she is held at the Castle of the Earl of Shrewsburg, George Talbot, and his strong wife, Bess of Harwick. The story is told in alternate chapters by Mary, Bess, and George. Bess was raised as a commoner, but through marriages and shrewdness, eventually becomes the wife of an Earl. She is business smart, a trait not valued by her husband George. Their marriage, however, is a happy one until Mary comes in the picture. Forced to maintain Queen Mary in the style she is accustomed to, the riches of the Earl's house are slowly depleted. Bess, ever the wise one, understands the significance of this in their future.

I grew to have much respect for Bess; in fact, she could be the "other queen." She is smart and practical at a time when it wasn't proper for women to be either smart or practical. Bess and George eventually divorce and Mary is eventually beheaded by her cousin, Elizabeth I.

Very readable and believable. ( )
  maryreinert | Mar 1, 2016 |

Gregory, Philippaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
keith, ronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
nielsen, stinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
sterlin, jennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anthony
Every woman should marry for her own advantage since her husband will represent her, as visible as her front door, for the rest of his life.

This dazzling novel from the #1 New York Times bestselling author Philippa Gregory presents a new and unique view of one of history's most intriguing, romantic, and maddening heroines. Biographers often neglect the captive years of Mary, Queen of Scots, who trusted Queen Elizabeth's promise of sanctuary when she fled from rebels in Scotland and then found herself imprisoned as the guest of George Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury, and his indomitable wife, Bess of Hardwick. The newly married couple welcome the doomed queen into their home, certain that serving as her hosts and jailers will bring them an advantage in the cutthroat world of the Elizabethan court. To their horror, they find that the task will bankrupt them, and as their home becomes the epicenter of intrigue and rebellion against Elizabeth, their loyalty to each other and to their sovereign comes into question. If Mary succeeds in seducing the earl into her own web of treachery and treason, or if the great spymaster William Cecil links them to the growing conspiracy to free Mary from her illegal imprisonment, they will all face the headsman.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,888,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible