Living with the Dead by Kelley Armstrong

Living with the Dead

by Kelley Armstrong

Recently added bybeckdg, gentcat, private library, neil1701, neil_lubin, cjk203, bowlib, Hailey_Edwards, mrndvlmr
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna

I imagine Living with the Dead was an expansion on the experiment with the POVs in Personal Demon but instead of just two POVs there are at least five here: the good-guys -Robyn, Finn, Hope, and the bad -Adele and Colm. This led to many puzzle pieces being slowly put together in an often confusing way, jumping from person to person which made it impossible for me to be bespelled into reading this in one sitting.

Even though Kelley shoves Robyn to the front of the stage and naming this her book, the focus was on Hope and how this story affected her future though it was also a vehicle for Finn and Adele (and her unborn baby).

Finn is a detective who is also an untrained necromancer who uses his ability to see and communicate with ghosts to help solve crimes. Due to the isolating nature of his ability (i.e. seemingly talking to himself) he lacks a social life and is ready and willing to give up his life in a noble gesture which Eve happily puts a stop to. Eve's cameo appearance at the end was very welcome and with it I realised I was missing the usual fiesty main characters in Kelley's books, which unfortunately this one lacked - well all except for Adele.

Adele is a clairvoyant who has decided to escape the manipulative cultish clutches of her kumpania(a clairvoyant community) and does some reprehensible things in order to do so including sleeping with two teenage boys, one of which was both mentally and physically disabled, ick, the other she was grooming to kill for her. She obviously has a screw loose and doesn't hesitate to kill anyone in her way.

The inner-workings of this kumpania were very interesting, sort of a cutthroat cabal (the very thing they supposedly despise) but with a heavy dose of indoctrination.

Again I could not connect with Hope and felt that perhaps Clay & Elena or even Lucas & Paige would have been better in this book instead of Karl & Hope. I would not be adverse to Kelley bumping her off sometime soon but then Karl would be devastated and I wouldn't want that. As ever I loved Karl but I think I'm ready to see him running with the Pack. Perhaps we'll get that in Frostbitten. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
I havent read this in a long time but from what I remember, I didnt take to the characters at all especially the main girl. The detective I did have a liking for but I feel there wasnt enough work put into certain characters and the storyline definitely needed major tweaking and simplifying.
Ive read Hope's book more recently and am glad because I empathised with her character way more than I did in this book.

Basically this is a mess. Im surprised the editor let it get published >_
4/10

Its a shame because her other books are so good. DO NOT READ THIS if you just started reading Kelley's books..
She is a really amazing writer but unfortunately it doesnt come across here T_T ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
1 ( )
  PhotoS | Feb 17, 2014 |
This was a fantastic twist in the Otherworld series. Humans thrown into the fray made the book an even more compelling read than usual. I felt really connected to Robyn and loved the different paranormal characters trying to keep her alive. ( )
  RebeccaClareSmith | Jan 24, 2014 |
I'm pretty sure this is a bridge novel. Just something between two story arcs to make sure all the characters get page time. ( )
  lesmel | Jun 3, 2013 |
To call Portia Kane a waste of space was being charitable.
And no matter how strongly she believed in the innate goodness of mankind, eventually she'd noticed the "kick me" sticker on her butt, ripped it off and vowed never to let anyone replace it.
What am I? Let's just say I won't fetch a stick for you. I won't beg for treats. And, no matter how nicely you ask, I will not roll over and play dead. (Karl)
Are you kidding? I'm the ward of two well-educated, cultured individuals. I read the New Yorker, Harper's, and sometimes National Geographic, but only for the half-naked guys.

bn.com- Smart, sexy, and supernatural—the men and women of the Otherworld live unseen among us. For the most part, mere mortals never suspect their existence—and that’s the way they want it. But now a reckless killer has torn down the wall between our worlds, trapping one very vulnerable, and very mortal, woman in the supernatural cross fire.

Robyn Peltier moved to Los Angeles shortly after her young husband’s sudden and unexpected death. Her hope was that her hectic new life as the PR consultant to a spoiled celebutante would provide a distraction from her grief. But when her client is murdered, Robyn finds herself on the run as the prime suspect. And as more bodies pile up around her, it seems only her friend, tabloid journalist Hope Adams, is on her side.

But Hope and her somewhat spooky boyfriend Karl know it’s just a matter of time before Robyn is caught. For she’s gotten herself in the middle of a turf war between two Otherworld races who’ll spill any amount of blood—human and inhuman—to protect what they consider theirs for eternity. And the only way Hope can save her friend is by letting her enter a world she’s safer knowing nothing about.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553588540, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:29 -0400)

They're smart, sexy, and supernatural. They're the men and women of the Otherworld--a realm of witches, ghosts, and werewolves who live unseen among us. Only now a reckless killer has torn down the wall, trapping one very human woman in the supernatural cross fire.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,038,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible