Living With The Dead by Kelley Armstrong

Living With The Dead

by Kelley Armstrong

Series: Otherworld (9), Women of the Otherworld (9)

Recently added byballycumber, ltl1red, Elle044, hartdancer1, WingedWolf, Tanya-D, CurlUpAndRead, private library, MelR665
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna

I enjoyed this book, though it wasn't my favorite. I like the way we follow many different POVs - but that's a large switch from "normal" in this series. There is no 1st person POV, as is standard. There is no "Women of the Otherworld" series title on front. And we get to see what all sorts of people are thinking - including the antagonists.

The plot is well-founded and the characters are good. My main "issue" with this book is that I'm not a huge Hope fan. While I don't *dislike* her, she has to work harder to get me to like her. If it had been a book focusing on one of the characters I like better, I'd probably give the book 5 stars, because I'd have sympathized with them more. All told, though, if you're a fan of the series this is a good read. A new reader could easily start with this book without getting too confused (I hope), but to then jump back to the rest of the series might be a little odd. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jan 25, 2018 |
I feel like this series has lost focus. The world keeps expanding, and while that was good up to a point, I feel like there really wasn't a need to introduce a whole new group of supernaturals, especially considering the ending revelations in this book. As a plus, I actually liked the main narrator and her necromancer/detective companion, but there were also POV chapters with Hope and both of the clairvoyants, and that was a little too much. I found Karl less annoying here, but I really wasn't begging for another Hope/Karl focused book. ( )
  duchessjlh | Dec 10, 2017 |
This was the weakest book of this series that I’ve read so far. My guess is that it’s because it’s mainly told from the perspectives of people who don’t know about the supernatural community, but that information has to be present somehow; I also felt as though the story itself dragged. I was about a quarter of the way in when I thought: wow, that’s short, it’s going to end soon! And then I kept having that same thought the rest of the way through.

It’s not a bad book, however, it’s just that the other books of the series are amazing, so this pretty good one fell flat. It follows typical Women of the Otherworld style, where it has a little bit of romance going on, but that’s a side note to the main thriller aspect of the book. The antagonist of this book is truly crazy, which led to a lot of intense, very sad situations. I like that we get to see a couple of outsiders being brought into the fold and see what it’s like when they realize that the world isn’t as straightforward as they thought it was. My favorite part was all of the misunderstandings that arise when the characters tried the theorize as to what was going on — everyone kept overthinking the series of events and were so mistrustful of everyone else so that it took a really long time for the characters to work out who was actually on whose side and who they could work with.

I liked reading about more of Hope and Karl, and it was nice to see Hope taking charge. Their relationship is develops a bit more in this series, but what’s important is that Hope is starting to figure out who she is and what she wants, so in order to make room for that, their relationship is left dangling at the end, so I’m hoping to get some resolution on that in the next book.

Basically, this is an amazing series, and this was a pretty-okay installment of it. I’m hoping this book was just a hiccup for the series overall and it doesn’t signal a decline to one of my favorite all-time series, but I’ll have to read the others to find out!

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | Aug 9, 2017 |
While reading:

-- I've reached a point where I have a limit on how many Point of View characters makes for a decently moving story. I fear this one has passed the threshold, so it doesn't feel like it moves forward well. I'm already to disc four and I'm finding a need to push the story forward, though it has been slowly moving.

-----

Didn't realize my mistake on grabbing this book until I was like three discs into the audio. Then I just decided to keep listening anyway. I've read book 1, this is book 9. So some references to earlier books, I missed, but they didn't take away from the overall feel of the book.

This book has its twists and turns. As I said while reading, a few too many POVs slow the book down. I've liked to have narrowed the scope. But then, many of the view points were needed to make the story work, which makes things worse. It's a difficult balancing act for any author. The overall darkness of the book couldn't be ignored. This isn't some light and fluffy urban fantasy like the Chicagoland vampire series. This digs into the meat of a supernatural world and the havoc wreaked there.

Good book. Probably be reread when I get the intervening 7 between Bitten and here read. Then the stars might change. ( )
  gilroy | Jul 11, 2016 |
Hope's old friend Robyn recently lost her husband and is lost to grief. Hope is a half-chaos demon who works for the tabloids and the supernatural Council, but she drops everything to go stay with Robyn for a while. It turns out Robyn needs her help more than she ever expected--because Robyn's starlet client has just been murdered, and Robyn is the number one suspect. It's up to Hope, her werewolf boyfriend Karl, and a cop who can see ghosts to find the truth.

One annoying thing about listening to this book instead of reading it is that I couldn't skim, which is how I usually read Armstrong's novels. She restates practically everything, particularly in regards to characters' relationships with each other. Hope and Karl talk about their feelings in every single chapter; Robyn constantly thinks about how much she misses her dead husband; the book goes over how Robyn and Hope met and became bffs at least twice (though Robyn has never been mentioned before this book)...Even the action is talked over; every time someone does something, they ruminate on it and then talk about it with at least one other character. And then the *other* characters talk about it. It feels endless.

The plot itself is pretty light-weight, and I'm sick to death of Armstrong's need to make an opposite-gender True Love hottie for every character she introduces. But there's a certain fun to novels with a mix of adventure and interpersonal relations, so I'm sure I'll read more in this series.

One note: the voices the audiobook reader did were *awful*. All the women got breathy little girl voices, and all the men but Karl and Finn (the two male love interests, natch) had serious lisps. It was distracting. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Accornero, FrancoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To call Portia Kane a waste of space was being charitable.
And no matter how strongly she believed in the innate goodness of mankind, eventually she'd noticed the "kick me" sticker on her butt, ripped it off and vowed never to let anyone replace it.
What am I? Let's just say I won't fetch a stick for you. I won't beg for treats. And, no matter how nicely you ask, I will not roll over and play dead. (Karl)
Are you kidding? I'm the ward of two well-educated, cultured individuals. I read the New Yorker, Harper's, and sometimes National Geographic, but only for the half-naked guys.

bn.com- Smart, sexy, and supernatural—the men and women of the Otherworld live unseen among us. For the most part, mere mortals never suspect their existence—and that’s the way they want it. But now a reckless killer has torn down the wall between our worlds, trapping one very vulnerable, and very mortal, woman in the supernatural cross fire.

Robyn Peltier moved to Los Angeles shortly after her young husband’s sudden and unexpected death. Her hope was that her hectic new life as the PR consultant to a spoiled celebutante would provide a distraction from her grief. But when her client is murdered, Robyn finds herself on the run as the prime suspect. And as more bodies pile up around her, it seems only her friend, tabloid journalist Hope Adams, is on her side.

But Hope and her somewhat spooky boyfriend Karl know it’s just a matter of time before Robyn is caught. For she’s gotten herself in the middle of a turf war between two Otherworld races who’ll spill any amount of blood—human and inhuman—to protect what they consider theirs for eternity. And the only way Hope can save her friend is by letting her enter a world she’s safer knowing nothing about.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553588540, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:31 -0400)

They're smart, sexy, and supernatural. They're the men and women of the Otherworld--a realm of witches, ghosts, and werewolves who live unseen among us. Only now a reckless killer has torn down the wall, trapping one very human woman in the supernatural cross fire.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,319,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible