City of Thieves: A Novel by David Benioff

City of Thieves: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2009)

by David Benioff

Member:Milda-TX
Title:City of Thieves: A Novel
Authors:David Benioff
Info:Plume (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 258 pages

City of Thieves by David Benioff (2008)

The 900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad by Harrison E. Salisbury (MartinRohrbach)
    MartinRohrbach: Vom Autor selbst als Referenz in dem Buch erwähnt.
    The Siege by Helen Dunmore (GCPLreader)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Kolya reminds me of Rudy, a bit older but none wiser, with his self-assurance and confidence, ok maybe he has lost some of his sweetness, but I still see the humor and zest for life.
    Wolf Among Wolves by Hans Fallada (infiniteletters)
    Wolves Eat Dogs by Martin Cruz Smith (jennyl.keen)
    Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith (Ciruelo)

English (209)  German (7)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (223)
How can I say that I really enjoyed a book about the horrendous siege of Leningrad during World War II? The situation was unbearably dark and depressing. People would do anything for food. They ate the glue holding books together. Belts and shoes were the basis of many soups. People deluded themselves that they were getting nourishment from eating icicles. Cannibalism was not unheard of. Even with all of these horrors, this story of two mismatched young Russians on a search for one dozen eggs to secure their freedom is both a coming of age story and a commentary on the strength of the human spirit. At times darkly comedic, it was a well written novel and a quick read. Yet I think I will remember these two lovable characters for some time. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
This book takes place during the siege of Leningrad. In times of massive food shortages, a Russian colonel sends two Russian prisoners on a mission to find a dozen eggs for his daughter's wedding cake. Their journey takes them through Leningrad, the countryside, and behind enemy lines. It is at once humorous, heartbreaking, and touching. Well written, engaging, and a quick read, I would recommend it to all. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
The siege of Leningrad during WWII told through the eyes of a young man who comes of age during this time. Sad, as always, the story unfolds using a thought provoking perspective that will make your heart ache for the protagonist and everyone he encounters. ( )
  BALE | Jul 10, 2015 |
Absolutely engaging. The only thing that I wanted thought would happen but didn't was for Kolya and Lev to jump each other. It's a wonder they didn't, considering how they talk to each other sometimes.. anyway, the characters and the drop of funny scenes here and there in the book are a joy to read so I don't want to spoil anything. Benioff had also put some gory scenes in there which I didn't expect at all so.. yeah. A little note to those who hasn't read this yet. Highly recommended.

*No full stars because I thought there was a little detachment(which I don't really see fit) towards the narration. Aside from that, everything else was wonderfully written! ( )
  novewong | Jul 8, 2015 |
:( ( )
  LopiCake | Mar 25, 2015 |

Benioff, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gyllenhak, UlfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perlman, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ven, Sandra van deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
and if the City falls but a single man escapes
he will carry the City within himself on the roads of exile
he will be the City

Zbigniew Herbert
At last Schenk thought he understood and began laughing louder. Then suddenly he asked in a serious tone, "Do you think that the Russians are homosexuals?"
"You'll find out at the end of the war," I replied.

Curzio Malaparte
For Amanda & Frankie
My grandfather, the knife fighter, killed two Germans before he was eighteen.
The Nazis had printed thousands of invitation cards to a grand victory party Hitler intended to throw at the Astoria Hotel after conquering, what he had called, in a speech to his torch-bearing strom troopers, "the birthplace of Bolshevism, that city of thieves and maggots." Our soldiers had found a few of the invitations on the bodies of fallen Wehrmacht officers. They had been reprinted in the newspapers, copied by the thousands, and nailed to walls all over the city. The Politburo hacks could not have devised better propaganda. We hated the Nazis for their stupidity as much as anything else--if the city fell, we wouldn't leave any hotels where the Germans could sip schnapps in the piano bar and bed down in the deluxe suites. If the city fell, we'd bring her down with us.

From the critically acclaimed author of The 25th Hour, a captivating novel about war, courage, survival — and a remarkable friendship that ripples across a lifetime.

During the Nazis’ brutal siege of Leningrad, Lev Beniov is arrested for looting and thrown into the same cell as a handsome deserter named Kolya. Instead of being executed, Lev and Kolya are given a shot at saving their own lives by complying with an outrageous directive: secure a dozen eggs for a powerful Soviet colonel to use in his daughter’s wedding cake. In a city cut off from all supplies and suffering unbelievable deprivation, Lev and Kolya embark on a hunt through the dire lawlessness of Leningrad and behind enemy lines to find the impossible.

By turns insightful and funny, thrilling and terrifying, City of Thieves is a gripping, cinematic World War II adventure and an intimate coming-of-age story with an utterly contemporary feel for how boys become men.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:13 -0400)

Documenting his grandparents' experiences during the siege of Leningrad, a young writer learns his grandfather's story about how a military deserter and he tried to secure pardons by gathering hard-to-find ingredients for a powerful colonel's daughter's wedding cake.… (more)

Plume

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,014,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible