Stad der dieven by David Benioff

Stad der dieven (original 2008; edition 2009)

by David Benioff

Member:TessaSlingerland
Title:Stad der dieven
Authors:David Benioff
Info:Utrecht Signatuur 2009
Collections:Read in 2012, Your library, Nederlandstalig, eBook
Tags:WWII, Russia, Piter, Eggs, 266 p

City of Thieves by David Benioff (2008)

The 900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad by Harrison E. Salisbury (MartinRohrbach)
    MartinRohrbach: Vom Autor selbst als Referenz in dem Buch erwähnt.
    The Siege by Helen Dunmore (GCPLreader)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Kolya reminds me of Rudy, a bit older but none wiser, with his self-assurance and confidence, ok maybe he has lost some of his sweetness, but I still see the humor and zest for life.
    Wolf Among Wolves by Hans Fallada (infiniteletters)
    Wolves Eat Dogs by Martin Cruz Smith (jennyl.keen)
    Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith (Ciruelo)

English (227)  German (7)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (241)
City of Thieves tells the adventurous story of two boys trapped in Leningrad during World War II. The two boys are thrown into jail together, where they quickly learn that they have nothing in common. Lev is a mousy, quiet spoken young man, while Koyla is charming and charismatic. However, the two are forced to work together when, instead of being executed, they are sent to find a dozen eggs for a wedding cake. While this seems like it would be an easy task, in supply-deprived Leningrad, the task is next to impossible. Koyla and Lev set off together, and their adventure takes the reader through gripping, although slightly unbelievable, events. In the end, the tale is gripping, and the characters breath life into the story through their personalities. I found myself caring for the two characters, especially during the climactic final chess match. I can see this novel being used in a study of World War II, or being read for fun by young adults with an interest in World War II.
  jstrecker | Apr 18, 2016 |
Any book that can blend humor with the siege of Leningrad and do it well deserves a high rating. Benioff does a great job of giving the reader enough detail to make the horrors of the siege real without stepping into gruesome. Wonderful, believable characters; well written. One of my big complaints with a lot of books is that they are just too long; this one is not. Nothing redundant; action keeps moving the reader forward. If you're overly squimish, or have a problem with frank sexual discussion, you will not care for this as much. Otherwise, I highly recommend it. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
Set during the German siege of Leningrad, City of Thieves by David Benioff was a wonderful story about two fellows, one considered a looter, the other a deserter and how they embark upon a quest to find a dozen eggs in the middle of a harsh Russian winter with food at an all time scarcity. Lev is a shy seventeen year old Jew arrested for looting the body of a frozen German solider. Kolya is a Russian soldier caught on the streets after curfew and considered a deserter. They are brought in front of a NKVD colonel who gives them the option of going on an egg hunt for one dozen eggs for his daughters’ wedding cake or being stood up against a wall and shot.

These two main characters couldn’t be more different but throughout the book, their bond grows and becomes so real that it was very easy to imagine these two trudging along together. As they seek their treasure, they meet many varied characters, from cannibals to partisans, get into difficulties and manage to fight, run or talk their way through.

This was a book that I literally couldn’t put down. It actually brought me to both laughter and tears. The writing is smart and engaging without becoming too clever to be believable. While the heart of the book is this developing relationship between these two fellows, the backdrop of war is horrifyingly vivid as the characters learn to face down their fears and rely on their inner resources. I found City of Thieves to be a vibrant, rich story that I will long remember. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 12, 2016 |
Very good struggle of life for two young men sent on a mission in exchange for their lives during the German invasion of Russia. Enjoyed it immensely. ( )
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |

Benioff, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gyllenhak, UlfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perlman, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ven, Sandra van deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
and if the City falls but a single man escapes
he will carry the City within himself on the roads of exile
he will be the City

Zbigniew Herbert
At last Schenk thought he understood and began laughing louder. Then suddenly he asked in a serious tone, "Do you think that the Russians are homosexuals?"
"You'll find out at the end of the war," I replied.

Curzio Malaparte
For Amanda & Frankie
My grandfather, the knife fighter, killed two Germans before he was eighteen.
The Nazis had printed thousands of invitation cards to a grand victory party Hitler intended to throw at the Astoria Hotel after conquering, what he had called, in a speech to his torch-bearing strom troopers, "the birthplace of Bolshevism, that city of thieves and maggots." Our soldiers had found a few of the invitations on the bodies of fallen Wehrmacht officers. They had been reprinted in the newspapers, copied by the thousands, and nailed to walls all over the city. The Politburo hacks could not have devised better propaganda. We hated the Nazis for their stupidity as much as anything else--if the city fell, we wouldn't leave any hotels where the Germans could sip schnapps in the piano bar and bed down in the deluxe suites. If the city fell, we'd bring her down with us.

From the critically acclaimed author of The 25th Hour, a captivating novel about war, courage, survival — and a remarkable friendship that ripples across a lifetime.

During the Nazis’ brutal siege of Leningrad, Lev Beniov is arrested for looting and thrown into the same cell as a handsome deserter named Kolya. Instead of being executed, Lev and Kolya are given a shot at saving their own lives by complying with an outrageous directive: secure a dozen eggs for a powerful Soviet colonel to use in his daughter’s wedding cake. In a city cut off from all supplies and suffering unbelievable deprivation, Lev and Kolya embark on a hunt through the dire lawlessness of Leningrad and behind enemy lines to find the impossible.

By turns insightful and funny, thrilling and terrifying, City of Thieves is a gripping, cinematic World War II adventure and an intimate coming-of-age story with an utterly contemporary feel for how boys become men.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:13 -0400)

Documenting his grandparents' experiences during the siege of Leningrad, a young writer learns his grandfather's story about how a military deserter and he tried to secure pardons by gathering hard-to-find ingredients for a powerful colonel's daughter's wedding cake.… (more)

Plume

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,261,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible