God's word in human words : an…

God's word in human words : an evangelical appropriation of critical… (edition 2008)

by Kenton L. Sparks

Member:ojchase
Title:God's word in human words : an evangelical appropriation of critical biblical scholarship
Authors:Kenton L. Sparks
Info:Grand Rapids, Mich. : Baker Academic, c2008.
Collections:Wishlist, Wishlist 2

God's Word in Human Words: An Evangelical Appropriation of Critical Biblical Scholarship by Kenton L. Sparks

I won't claim that I fully agree with every point that Sparks makes in God's Words in Human Words (GWHW)--he tackles many issues and makes a lot of points--but I think he elucidates what is--in my opinion--a wonderfully robust post-modern hermeneutic. He has managed to embrace Biblical criticism and post-modern literary theory while, I believe, remaining orthodox. The book left me feeling more intellectually and spiritually satisfied than I have in a long time--high praise, I know.

One of my favourite sentences from the book:
"Any good epistemology will need to explain why common sense seems to work so well; but it will also need to contend with the fact that common sense is that innate capacity by which we infer that the earth is flat." ( )
  dan.hook | Aug 22, 2009 |
added by Christa_Josh | editJournal of the Evangelical Theological Society, Stephen D. Kovach (Mar 1, 2012)

added by Christa_Josh | editJournal of the Evangelical Theological Society, Ken Keathley (Mar 1, 2010)

The conclusions of critical biblical scholarship often pose a disconcerting challenge to traditional Christian faith. Between the two poles of uncritical embrace and outright rejection of these conclusions, is there a third way? Can evangelical believers incorporate the insights of biblical criticism while at the same time maintaining a high view of Scripture and a vital faith? In this provocative book, Kenton Sparks argues that the insights from historical and biblical criticism can indeed be valuable to evangelicals and may even yield solutions to difficult issues in biblical studies while avoiding pat answers. This constructive response to biblical criticism includes taking seriously both the divine and the human aspects of the Bible and acknowledging the diversity that exists in the biblical texts.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:30 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,036,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible